Best Chicken Fajitas Recipe
This is seriously the BEST Chicken Fajitas recipe! It’s quick, easy and SOOOO flavorful. These chicken fajitas are made with a simple, yet tasty marinade, plenty of colorful peppers and onions, all sautéed until caramelized and golden brown. A restaurant style meal that is super easy to make at home and always gets rave reviews!
When go out for Mexican food, I almost always order chicken fajitas. You just can’t go wrong with a sizzling platter of meat and veggies! This chicken fajitas recipe is totally restaurant quality too! The chicken is tender, juicy and filled with bold Mexican flavors. You won’t believe how easy they are to make too!
Let’s get to it!
Just a few basic ingredients and you’re well on your way to a really tasty chicken fajita dinner. All you need is chicken, bell pepper, onion, salsa, lime juice and spices, plus tortillas and your favorite toppings. So simple!
It’s a one-skillet recipe and in about 25 minutes hands-on time, you’ll have a delicious meal to satisfy your Mexican food cravings. These chicken also make the best leftovers or meal prep.
Homemade Fajita Seasoning
Pre-made fajita seasoning packets are definitely convenient, but nothing compares to the flavor of homemade fajita seasoning and it’s easy to mix up. Plus, you’ll avoid any unnecessary fillers and additives. Here’s a quick rundown of the spices you’ll need:
- Chili Lime Seasoning or Chili Powder
- Ground Cumin
- Garlic Powder
- Paprika (smoked paprika is a really good option, if you have it)
How Do You Make Chicken Fajitas?
Making fajitas has never been easier or more delicious with these flavorful skillet chicken fajitas! After some marinating time, you can have these mouth-watering fajitas on the table in less than 30 minutes, including prep!
- Combine the chicken with the marinade in a large zip-top baggie. Place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least an hour.
- Sauté peppers and onion with olive oil or olive oil spray and kosher salt in a cast iron skillet or other large skillet.
- Once the peppers and onions are done cooking, remove them from the pan. Spray the pan with a little more olive oil spray, if needed. Add the chicken and cook thoroughly.
- Remove chicken and cut into slices. Then, add the chicken back to the pan with the veggies, and add about 1/4 cup salsa. Let mixture cook together for a few minutes until all liquid is absorbed.
- Warm tortillas while the dish finishes cooking. Fill the tortillas up with the chicken, veggies, a squeeze of lime, and other favorite toppings!
- If your chicken breast is pretty thick, I recommend cutting the chicken in half or use kitchen shears to cut the chicken into thinner tender-size pieces. It will cook more evenly and will really soak up all of the marinade.
- This chicken fajitas recipe gives instructions for cooking the chicken in a skillet. If you’d rather grill the chicken, check out my grilled chicken tacos recipe.
- I like to use a variety of colorful bell peppers. You can use all of one color pepper if you prefer. You can also add other veggies, like zucchini, mushrooms and/or even roasted sweet potato.
How To Warm Tortillas
Whether you’re using flour or corn tortillas, you’ll want to warm them up following these instructions. It will help them to fold and hold ingredients without breaking. It will also make them more flavorful and the overall dish tastier. Here’s a few ways that you can warm the tortillas:
- Wrap a stack of 5 tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for 15-30 seconds at a time until warmed through.
- Place on a gas stovetop over a medium/low flame — place the tortilla right on the flame on the stovetop and flip after 10-15 seconds.
- Cook in a hot, dry skillet, griddle, cooktop, or grill grates — flip after 10-15 seconds.
What Do You Serve With Chicken Fajitas?
The classic way to serve fajitas is wrapped in tortillas with rice and beans on the side. I always make a batch of my Mexican brown rice whenever we’re enjoying Mexican food. It’s so good and simple! Grilled corn on the cob would be an awesome side with this meal too. If you like sauces, the cilantro ranch sauce or this avocado cream sauce from these salmon tacos would be amazing!
Chicken fajitas are fun to serve with a variety of toppings, so that everyone can customize their fajitas to their taste preference. Great for feeding a crowd!
Make Ahead Chicken Fajitas
This chicken fajitas recipe is a great one to make in advance! The sautéed chicken and vegetables will keep for up to 5 days in the fridge. Store them in a sealed container and then reheat before adding to a tortilla or salad.
What I love best about this recipe is that it’s just so easy to make with minimal ingredients! These sizzling chicken fajitas are on my regular dinner menu rotation, and they’re always a hit.
Large Cast Iron Skillet – You can really use any large skillet for fajitas, but I prefer using a cast iron skillet because the heavy bottom retains heat. This ensures even cooking and cooks the peppers and shrimp quickly. Lodge is a great budget-friendly brand.
Wüsthof Two Piece Prep Set (Knives) – This is the knife set that I use most often and I can’t say enough great things about these high-quality knives.
More Delicious Mexican Meals
If you try this easy chicken fajitas recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Best Chicken Fajitas
For the chicken and marinade:
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili lime seasoning or chili powder
For cooking chicken and veggies:
- Marinated chicken from above
- 1 large onion,, sliced into thin strips
- 3 bell peppers (various colors),, sliced into thin strips
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 8 corn or flour tortillas
- Sliced avocado or Guacamole
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Fresh cilantro
- Fresh lime juice
- If your chicken breast is thick, I recommend cutting in half, horizontally. Do not pound it thin, as it will not have the right consistency for fajitas. Combine chicken with olive oil, lime juice, salt, paprika, ground cumin, garlic powder, chili lime seasoning in a large zip-top baggie to marinate for at least an hour.
- Sauté veggies with olive oil spray and kosher salt in a cast iron skillet (if you have one, it adds lots of flavor!). Cover the pan with a lid, so they steam and get soft, and then remove the lid and let them get nice and charred.
- Once the peppers and onions are done cooking, remove them from the pan. Spray the pan with a little more olive oil spray, if needed. Add the chicken and cook thoroughly. Remove and cut into slices. Add back to the pan with the veggies, and add about 1/4 cup salsa. Let mixture cook together for a few minutes until all liquid is absorbed.
- Serve chicken and veggies in warm tortillas with all your favorite toppings and a squeeze of fresh lime juice over the top.