The Paloma Cocktail is a classic tequila drink recipe that’s perfect for summer sippin’ on the patio. My version of this popular tequila cocktail is super easy and so refreshing! It’s made with a mixture of tequila, fresh lime and grapefruit juice. Serve on the rocks for a bubbly, sweet citrus flavored delight!
You can’t go wrong with an icy cold cocktail during the warmer weather months. Looking for another super refreshing, summery drink? Be sure to try my watermelon cocktail!
A Paloma Cocktail is one of my favorite easy drinks to whip up! It’s not too sweet and it’s perfect on a hot summer night. We like to grill out fajitas, blast some music and have us a little faux restaurant patio situation. It’s seriously the best way to celebrate summer.
What is a Paloma Cocktail?
A Paloma is a very popular Mexican cocktail drink. It’s similar to a margarita, but is made with a mixture of grapefruit and lime juices, mixed with tequila. This drink is easy enough that it can be prepared with a simple mixture of tequila and grapefruit soda. However, for the best flavor, I recommend taking a few extra minutes and mixing it up with fresh lime and grapefruit. And I love to top it off with grapefruit flavored sparkling water or even some Sprite!
Paloma Cocktail Ingredients
- Tequila – The higher quality the tequila the better-tasting your cocktail will be. I like this brand, but feel free to use your favorite!
- Freshly squeezed grapefruit juice – I recommend freshly squeezing your grapefruit instead of buying grapefruit juice. It’s so much better!
- Freshly squeezed lime juice – Just like with the grapefruit juice, freshly squeezed lime juice is a must!
- Sweetener – You can totally leave out the sweetener, if you don’t need it. I personally like to use one stevia packet for my drink. Honey, agave, sugar or stevia are all great options.
- Grapefruit flavored sparkling water – optional, but I love the bubbles! You can even use club soda or Sprite.
- Coarse sugar or sea salt – for the rim!
- Ice – Palomas are best ice cold!
For the basic recipe all you really need is fresh grapefruit juice, tequila and a splash of lime, but I love to add the sparkling water for a splash of bubbles.
How do you make a Paloma Cocktail?
Rub the rim of your glass with lime or a grapefruit wedge and then dip the glass in a plate filled with coarse sugar or sea salt. I prefer sugar with this drink as it’s not too sweet to start with. Fill your glasses with ice, unless you’re prepping glasses ahead of time.
Fill your cocktail shaker with ice, tequila, fresh grapefruit juice, lime juice, and your preferred sweetener (if using) in a shaker (or a mason jar with a lid if you don’t have a shaker).
Shake it up! Shake for about 30 seconds and until the outside of the shaker gets super cold. You’re looking for it to be so cold, that it’s almost hard to hold. You can also just simply stir the ingredients together in a glass.
Pour into the glass and garnish with a grapefruit and/or lime wedge. Bottoms up!
I know we all love a good margarita, but if you ask me, this Paloma Cocktail is #1! The tequila, grapefruit and lime juice combo is simply off-the-charts delicious! It’s sweet, sour, and refreshing! A MUST try this summer!
Other Cocktails To Try:
If you try this Paloma Cocktail recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if you love it as much as I do, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
- 1/4 cup (2 oz) tequila blanco
- 1/4 cup (2 oz) grapefruit juice (you can do fresh or the refrigerated kind! I used Simply Grapefruit)
- 1/2 ounce (about 1/2 large lime) lime juice or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar or stevia to preference
- 1/4 cup (2 oz or to preference) club soda or sparkling water
- Coarse sugar or sea salt, for the rim of the glasses
- If desired, add sugar or salt to the rim of a glass: Pour some sugar in a bowl and rub half of rim of a glass with lime wedge (or grapefruit wedge) then dip the rim of glass in the sugar. (You can do sea salt, but I prefer sugar with this drink as it’s not too sweet to start with.)
- To make the Paloma: Combine tequila, grapefruit juice, lime juice, and sugar in a shaker (or a mason jar with lid if you don’t have a shaker) and shake until sugar is dissolved. You can also just simply stir the ingredients together in a glass.
- Pour tequila mixture over ice in the sugar-rimmed glass and top off with club soda. Garnish with grapefruit or lime wedge! Sip slowly and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @kimscravings on Instagram and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy and delicious recipes straight to your inbox!
This is making me miss traveling. I always get a tasty drink like this. I can’t wait to try this fun recipe.
You are a mind reader. I was just thinking it’s Saturday night and I really fancy a cocktail. It’s so pretty too!
I am such a grapefruit lover and adding this to a cocktail sounds so refreshing. Perfect for summer.
This cocktail is so refreshing and delicious! Love the hints of grapefruit in this. Definitely will be on repeat this summer.
Missing my Mexico vacations right now! But enjoying this delicious Paloma cocktail by the pool almost transported me back to the beach resort life. Palomas are a favorite in Puerto Vallarta.
Oh this looks super refreshing. I am going to try making this for our BBQ at the weekend.