This Jalapeño Margarita takes the classic skinny margarita recipe and adds the perfect kick of heat to it. This spicy margarita is refreshing, slightly spicy and SO irresistible! These are wonderful paired with your favorite taco recipe and they make the best cocktail for summer parties.
I love having a go-to cocktail recipe for happy hour, sipping by the pool and summer entertaining! Well, this Jalapeño Margarita is it, my friends! It’s spicy, tart, slightly sweet, and super refreshing over ice. You only need 6 simple ingredients to make it, and it’s so easy to shake up. Let’s get this party started! Pass the tortilla chips, and enjoy!
Jalapeño Margarita Ingredients
- Tequila – The higher quality the tequila the better-tasting your margs will be. I like this brand, but feel free to use your favorite!
- Freshly squeezed orange juice – I recommend freshly squeezing your orange instead of buying orange juice. It’s so much better!
- Freshly squeezed lime juice – Just like with the orange juice, freshly squeezed lime juice is a must!
- Jalapeños – Use as much or as little jalapeño as you like. Of course, the more you use, the spicier your drink will be.
- Honey or agave – I like using honey to sweeten my margaritas, but any sweetener works. For a lower calorie marg, you can even use a packet or two of stevia.
- Ice – Margaritas are best ice cold!
How Do You Make A Jalapeño Margarita?
Rub the rim of your glass with lime and then dip them in a plate filled with coarse sea salt. Fill your glasses with ice, unless you’re prepping glasses ahead of time.
Fill your cocktail shaker with ice, tequila, fresh orange juice (or triple sec), and lime juice. Add several jalapeño slices. Do more or less depending on how spicy you want your drink. You may also want to remove the seeds, if you’re sensitive to the extra heat.
Shake it up! Shake for about 30 seconds and until the outside of the shaker gets super cold. You’re looking for it to be so cold, that it’s almost hard to hold.
Strain into glass and garnish with a few extra jalapeño slices and a lime wedge. Bottoms up!
Spicy Margarita Tips
Using freshly squeezed citrus is a MUST! Please don’t buy bottled lime juice for these margs… it’s just not the same as squeezing your own.
High quality tequila is essential! Using high quality tequila tastes better and it’s less likely to give you a tequila headache.
- These margs are great salted with a mixture of sea salt and Trader Joe’s chili lime seasoning or Tajín Clásico Seasoning.
- You can even make your own fancy rim mixture! Try a mix of sea salt, paprika and sugar with a dash of cayenne. Yum!
Make a pitcher! If you’re serving more than two people, try making an extra large batch and stir it up in a pitcher. Simply double, triple or quadruple this recipe.
- Feel free to sub the orange juice with triple sec or Grand Marnier.
- If you’re serving someone that’s sensitive to spice, simply leave the jalapeños out of their cocktail.
- Adding an egg white with the other ingredients in the cocktail shaker gives this margarita a lovely smooth texture and foamy top. (the pictures seen here do not have the addition of the egg white)
- To add a touch more spice to your margarita, add about 1 teaspoon of jalapeño juice from jarred jalapeños.
Best Recipes To Serve With Jalapeño Margaritas
Shrimp Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
More Drink Recipes
Vodka Cranberry Cocktail (my personal favorite!)
If you try this jalapeño margarita recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if you love these as much as I do, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
- Fresh limes and coarse sea salt for garnish on the rim of the glass (or a mix of coarse sea salt and Tajín Clásico Seasoning)
- 3 tablespoons silver tequila
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (freshly squeezed, if possible)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (freshly squeezed, if possible)*
- 1.5 teaspoons honey or agave (more for a sweeter margarita)**
- 1/2 jalapeño, sliced, plus more for garnish
- 1 egg white (optional)
- Rub a lime around the edge of the glass and then dip into salt. Fill with ice.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add tequila, lime juice, orange juice, honey and jalapeño slices. Shake until very cold about 30 seconds. If using egg white, add it in after about 15 seconds of shaking and then shake for another 20 seconds.
- Strain into prepared glass and garnish with jalapeños and fresh limes.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @kimscravings on Instagram and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy and delicious recipes straight to your inbox!
Looks so light and refreshing! Saving this one for summer backyard parties!
This was just delicious!! The perfect amount of spice and sweet and tart!
This drink looks so inviting! Love jalapeno cocktails! Perfect for this weekend! Thank you for reminding me! Haha!
This looks wonderful and I can’t wait to try this! Thanks!
Gorgeous photos! I love a spicy sweet cocktail and this – ahhh THIS would hit the spot!
I love margaritas, but I’d never thought of trying it with jalapenos. I have to try this. Sharing it now!
I love a hint of heat in my margarita and this recipe looks so refreshing and perfect for the upcoming summer.
I was a little skeptical of jalapenos in a drink. But I’m so glad I tried it because it’s amazing!
Yay! So glad to hear you enjoyed!
Margaritas always remind me of hot sunny days on a patio. Such a simple idea adding the jalapeño. Thank you for sharing this fantastic recipe!
What beautiful pictures. I feel like I have just been transported to Mexico via these jalapeno infused margaritas.
These are so moreish! I couldn’t only have one. The chilli just makes them so extra special.
This margarita was spot on — just what I needed! Spicy, yet tart, and just enough sweetness.