Chocolate Delight is a layered pudding dessert that looks impressive and tastes amazing, but is so easy to whip up! It’s made with a pecan cookie crust that’s topped with layers of cheesecake filling, pudding, and Cool Whip. This chocolate layered dessert is perfect for all of the chocolate lovers in your life. It’s a fabulous treat to bring to parties and holiday gatherings, and people always ask me for the recipe.
Have you ever had that one dessert that you just couldn’t stop thinking about until you got another piece? That’s this chocolate delight dessert for me. It’s the perfect amount of chocolate, creaminess, and richness to keep you coming back for more.
My mom has been making this chocolate layered dessert, commonly called chocolate delight, for years. It’s a popular choice for birthdays and other special occasions. A good dessert can take an ordinary gathering and make it something extraordinary. And this chocolate pudding layered cake is that good! This irresistible, yet super easy dessert is a total crowd pleaser that both the adults and kids will enjoy.
How Do You Make Chocolate Delight?
Chocolate delight has 5 layers – a pecan cookie crust, fluffy cheesecake filling, chocolate and vanilla pudding, whipped topping and chocolate shavings. All of the steps are simple, but you will want to allow for chilling time, so plan to make this dessert in advance. You can actually make chocolate delight up to 3 days before you plan to serve it.
The first step is to make the pecan cookie crust. It’s a combination of flour, melted butter and chopped pecans, which get pressed into the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch dish or pan. You will then bake the crust at 325°F for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely before moving on to the next step.
After the crust comes the cheesecake, which is a light and fluffy combination of cream cheese, powdered sugar and Cool Whip topping. I like to chill each layer before I add the next to give everything a chance to firm up. A quick trip into the freezer for 20 minutes is enough time to help everything set.
The next layer is instant chocolate pudding and instant vanilla pudding mixed with milk for a smooth and creamy chocolate flavor. I’ve seen some layered chocolate pudding desserts use only chocolate pudding for this layer, but I really love the results of combining the chocolate and vanilla pudding. It gives you that lovely chocolate flavor without being overly rich.
This chocolate delight gets finished off with a layer of Cool Whip topping and a generous sprinkling of grated chocolate.
You can simply spread on the Cool Whip topping or you can pipe it onto the top with a large open star tip for a fancier look. For the chocolate shavings, I simply used a grater to shred a bit of a chocolate bar. It’s really an optional step, but makes this dessert look so pretty. Plus, there’s no such thing as too much chocolate!
Tips For Chocolate Delight
The hardest part about making chocolate delight is cutting neat slices! I have a few tips to make the slicing process go a little smoother.
- Freeze your chocolate delight for about 30 minutes before you plan to slice it. This will help firm up the layers even more and keep them intact as you cut into the dessert.
- Wipe your knife with a paper towel between each cut. This will prevent the layers from running together as you slice.
- If you’re looking for picture perfect slices, you can run an offset spatula around the cut sides of each slice to even out the layers.
The flavors and textures in this dessert are just amazing, between the crunchy pecan cookie crust, fluffy cheesecake and creamy pudding. This is a treat you’ll be sure to make again and again!
What Can I Use Instead Of Cool Whip?
If you’re not a Cool Whip fan, you can substitute an equal amount of whipped cream for the whipped topping in this recipe. The whipped cream that you find in a can is not a good choice for this recipe as it will melt all over the top of the dessert. Whip heavy cream into stiff peaks and sweeten with sugar.
You will not be disappointed by this chocolate delight dessert – it serves a lot of people which makes it perfect for the holidays or any gathering. I also love that it can be made days ahead of time, so on the day of your party all you need to do is slice, serve and enjoy!
More Desserts You’ll Love
If you try this Chocolate Delight recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
For the crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup butter,, melted
- 1 cup pecans,, finely chopped
For the first layer:
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, room temperature for easier mixing
- 1 cup confectioners' powdered sugar
- 1 cup Cool Whip
For the second layer:
- 1 (3.4 oz) package vanilla instant pudding
- 1 (3.4 oz) package chocolate instant pudding
- 3 cups whole milk
For the top:
- remainder of Cool Whip
- Optional: grated chocolate sprinkled over the top
- Crust layer: Mix flour, butter and pecans and press into the bottom of a 9 X 13-inch dish or pan. Bake at 325°F for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- For the bottom layer over crust, mix cream cheese, powdered sugar and 1 cup Cool Whip. This is easiest to mix with an electric mixer. Spread over crust. Chill each layer for about 20 minutes in the freezer before adding the next to give everything a chance to firm up.
- For the second layer, mix together puddings and milk. Mix according to package directions. Spread over cream cheese layer. You can chill for another 20 minutes in the freezer to make spreading the Cool Whip easier.
- Top with remaining Cool Whip and sprinkle with grated chocolate, if desired. Let the dessert chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.