Cake Mix Mug Cake
This fluffy, moist Cake Mix Mug Cake bakes in the microwave and has all the decadence you want from a dessert in a single serving! With just three ingredients, this mug cake recipe whips up in mere minutes and will totally satisfy your sweet tooth cravings!
One of the most loved recipes from Kim’s Cravings is my Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake – it’s a reader and family fav! After creating and enjoying that recipe on repeat, I realized that nothing beats a little cake you can prep and bake in just a few minutes.
Like the Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake, this Cake Mix Mug Cake is perfectly portioned, bakes in the microwave, and turn out irresistibly soft, fluffy and delicious. Even though both mug cakes can be made in minutes, this one is actually SO quick and easy. Because it’s made with a cake mix, you don’t have to worry about having baking powder on hand or adding in extra sweeteners and flavorings, like maple syrup, sugar, vanilla extract or spices. And, like most cake mix mug cakes, you don’t need to have angel food cake mix to achieve this deliciousness!
What is a mug cake?
Mug cakes are the fast, easy answer to cake cravings! Individual cakes are cooked in a mug in the microwave and are ready to enjoy in just over one minute! A cake mix mug cake can be prepared in dozens of mouthwatering flavors at a moment’s notice.
Why we love this recipe:
- Easy recipe
- Minimal ingredients
- No leftovers
- Perfectly portioned
- Super quick to make + bake!
- Unlimited flavor combinations
- Fun for parties and gatherings – kid-friendly too!
- A great way to use up the dry cake mixes in your pantry
One of the best things about this mug cake recipe is that it’s made with just 3 simple ingredients that you may have in your kitchen right now. For this recipe you’ll need:
- Boxed cake mix. I personally love using chocolate cake mix and my favorite cake mix to use is Betty Crocker Delights Super Moist Triple Chocolate Fudge. However, any brand and flavor of cake mix works great. You can even use a gluten-free cake mix to make a gluten-free mug cake!
- Water. We’re using 4 tablespoons of water to give your cake batter the right consistency.
- Oil. Use any oil (melted coconut oil, canola oil or vegetable oil) to add the perfect amount of moisture to your mug cake. (see recipe card for lower fat option)
- Optional. Feel free to experiment with your cake and add mix-ins – chocolate chips, sprinkles, coconut, chopped nuts and/or candy bar pieces. You can also add fun toppings – whipped cream, frosting, sprinkles, chocolate syrup or anything else you like.
How to make a mug cake with a cake mix
A cake mix mug cake is made in just three simple steps. This recipe is for a single mug cake, but you can easily double it to suit your needs. If you’re making more than one, microwave them individually, so they cook evenly!
- Mix ingredients. Spray an 11 to 12-ounce microwave-safe mug or small bowl (I like to use a small coffee cup) with nonstick cooking spray and stir together the ingredients inside the mug.
- Bake. Microwave on high for about 1 minute and 30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and allow cake to cool for a few minutes.
- Enjoy. If you’d like, add a little frosting and sprinkles over the top of your mug cake and dig in! For the ultimate treat, serve with ice cream!
Pro tip: Be careful removing the cake from the microwave, as the mug will most likely be SUPER hot.
CAN THIS MUG cake BE MADE IN THE OVEN?
I personally have not cooked this particular mug cake recipe in the oven. Feel free to experiment, though, and give it a try. Based on some other similar mug cake recipes, if I were going to try this one in the oven, I would bake at 350ºF for 12 to 14 minutes. If you give it a try, please comment on this post and let us know how it worked out for you.
customize this Cake mix mug cake
This mug cake is pretty perfect as-is, but there are lots of ways to change it up and customize the recipe based on what you’re craving. Here are some tasty options:
- Different flavors. Simply change up the cake mix to make a variety of different flavors, such as a vanilla mug cake, chocolate mug cake, Funfetti mug cake, strawberry mug cake or red velvet mug cake, and the list goes on.
- Healthy mug cake. To lower the fat and calories of your mug cake, simply reduce the cake mix to 5 tablespoons, replace all of the oil with 1 to 2 tablespoons of applesauce or pumpkin puree and use 1 to 2 tablespoons of water. Cook mug cake for about 1 minute and 10 to 20 seconds. You can’t taste the applesauce or pumpkin and your mug cake will still bake up incredibly moist and delicious.
- Vegan mug cake. Surprisingly, most boxed cake mixes are naturally vegan and this recipe doesn’t use eggs or butter, so it’s easy to make a vegan mug cake.
- Gluten-free mug cake. Use any gluten-free cake mix to make this recipe and you will have a delicious gluten-free treat.
- Mix-ins. You can add about 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, Nutella, chocolate chips (or other flavored chips, shredded coconut, chopped nuts, sprinkles or candy.
Tips for Recipe Success
This mug cake recipe is really straight-forward and easy to make, but here are a few tips so your dessert or snack is perfect every time!
- Cook time. Different microwaves can vary in power and how fast they cook, so the first time you make this recipe, you’ll need to experiment a bit to make sure that the cook time is the correct length of baking time. When I make this mug cake, it’s done to my preference in about one minute and 30 seconds at 100% power. If you’re new to making mug cakes, check the cake after one minute and you can always add time.
- Mug size. A mug with straight sides is best to ensure that the cake bakes evenly. I use a microwave-safe 11 to 12-ounce mug, which is a great size to allow the cake to rise up while baking without overflowing. (You can fill your mug with water and then pour the water into a measuring cup to determine its capacity.)
- Use a bowl. If you don’t happen to have microwave-safe mug, try using any of the following: small porcelain ramekin, small ceramic bowl, small glass prep or mise bowl.
- Hot mug cake. Be careful when removing the mug cake from the microwave. Your mug will most likely be VERY hot. Use a hot pad or oven mitt when removing it from the microwave.
- Mug cakes are best eaten warm out of the microwave, so storage really isn’t needed.
- You can make up your favorite mix-ins and dry cake mix in a gallon bag and store it in the pantry for up to three months.
If you try this cake mix mug cake recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Cake Mix Mug Cake
- 6 tablespoons boxed cake mix*, any variety works great, including gluten-free
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons melted coconut oil, canola oil or vegetable oil**
- Frosting and sprinkles, optional for topping
- Spray an 11 to 12-ounce microwave-safe mug or small bowl with cooking spray and then mix together cake mix, water and oil inside.
- Microwave on high for about 1 minute and 10 seconds to 1 minute and 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and allow mug to cool for a few minutes. Add frosting and sprinkles, if desired and enjoy!