Cake Mix Mug Cake
This fluffy, moist Cake Mix Mug Cake bakes in the microwave and has all the decadence you want from a dessert in a single serving! With just three ingredients, this mug cake recipe whips up in mere minutes and will totally satisfy your sweet tooth cravings!
One of the most loved recipes from Kim’s Cravings is my Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake – it’s a reader and family fav! After creating and enjoying that recipe on repeat, I realized that nothing beats a little cake you can prep and bake in just a few minutes.
Like the Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake, this Cake Mix Mug Cake is perfectly portioned, bakes in the microwave, and turn out irresistibly soft, fluffy and delicious. Even though both mug cakes can be made in minutes, this one is actually SO quick and easy. Because it’s made with a cake mix, you don’t have to worry about having baking powder on hand or adding in extra sweeteners and flavorings, like maple syrup, sugar, vanilla extract or spices. And, like most cake mix mug cakes, you don’t need to have angel food cake mix to achieve this deliciousness!
What is a mug cake?
Mug cakes are the fast, easy answer to cake cravings! Individual cakes are cooked in a mug in the microwave and are ready to enjoy in just over one minute! A cake mix mug cake can be prepared in dozens of mouthwatering flavors at a moment’s notice.
Why we love this recipe:
- Easy recipe
- Minimal ingredients
- No leftovers
- Perfectly portioned
- Super quick to make + bake!
- Unlimited flavor combinations
- Fun for parties and gatherings – kid-friendly too!
- A great way to use up the dry cake mixes in your pantry
One of the best things about this mug cake recipe is that it’s made with just 3 simple ingredients that you may have in your kitchen right now. For this recipe you’ll need:
- Boxed cake mix. I personally love using chocolate cake mix and my favorite cake mix to use is Betty Crocker Delights Super Moist Triple Chocolate Fudge. However, any brand and flavor of cake mix works great. You can even use a gluten-free cake mix to make a gluten-free mug cake!
- Water. We’re using 4 tablespoons of water to give your cake batter the right consistency.
- Oil. Use any oil (melted coconut oil, canola oil or vegetable oil) to add the perfect amount of moisture to your mug cake. (see recipe card for lower fat option)
- Optional. Feel free to experiment with your cake and add mix-ins – chocolate chips, sprinkles, coconut, chopped nuts and/or candy bar pieces. You can also add fun toppings – whipped cream, frosting, sprinkles, chocolate syrup or anything else you like.
How to make a mug cake with a cake mix
A cake mix mug cake is made in just three simple steps. This recipe is for a single mug cake, but you can easily double it to suit your needs. If you’re making more than one, microwave them individually, so they cook evenly!
- Mix ingredients. Spray an 11 to 12-ounce microwave-safe mug or small bowl (I like to use a small coffee cup) with nonstick cooking spray and stir together the ingredients inside the mug.
- Bake. Microwave on high for about 1 minute and 30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and allow cake to cool for a few minutes.
- Enjoy. If you’d like, add a little frosting and sprinkles over the top of your mug cake and dig in! For the ultimate treat, serve with ice cream!
Pro tip: Be careful removing the cake from the microwave, as the mug will most likely be SUPER hot.
CAN THIS MUG cake BE MADE IN THE OVEN?
I personally have not cooked this particular mug cake recipe in the oven. Feel free to experiment, though, and give it a try. Based on some other similar mug cake recipes, if I were going to try this one in the oven, I would bake at 350ºF for 12 to 14 minutes. If you give it a try, please comment on this post and let us know how it worked out for you.
customize this Cake mix mug cake
This mug cake is pretty perfect as-is, but there are lots of ways to change it up and customize the recipe based on what you’re craving. Here are some tasty options:
- Different flavors. Simply change up the cake mix to make a variety of different flavors, such as a vanilla mug cake, chocolate mug cake, Funfetti mug cake, strawberry mug cake or red velvet mug cake, and the list goes on.
- Healthy mug cake. To lower the fat and calories of your mug cake, simply reduce the cake mix to 5 tablespoons, replace all of the oil with 1 to 2 tablespoons of applesauce or pumpkin puree and use 1 to 2 tablespoons of water. Cook mug cake for about 1 minute and 10 to 20 seconds. You can’t taste the applesauce or pumpkin and your mug cake will still bake up incredibly moist and delicious.
- Vegan mug cake. Surprisingly, most boxed cake mixes are naturally vegan and this recipe doesn’t use eggs or butter, so it’s easy to make a vegan mug cake.
- Gluten-free mug cake. Use any gluten-free cake mix to make this recipe and you will have a delicious gluten-free treat.
- Mix-ins. You can add about 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, Nutella, chocolate chips (or other flavored chips, shredded coconut, chopped nuts, sprinkles or candy.
Tips for Recipe Success
This mug cake recipe is really straight-forward and easy to make, but here are a few tips so your dessert or snack is perfect every time!
- Cook time. Different microwaves can vary in power and how fast they cook, so the first time you make this recipe, you’ll need to experiment a bit to make sure that the cook time is the correct length of baking time. When I make this mug cake, it’s done to my preference in about one minute and 30 seconds at 100% power. If you’re new to making mug cakes, check the cake after one minute and you can always add time.
- Mug size. A mug with straight sides is best to ensure that the cake bakes evenly. I use a microwave-safe 11 to 12-ounce mug, which is a great size to allow the cake to rise up while baking without overflowing. (You can fill your mug with water and then pour the water into a measuring cup to determine its capacity.)
- Use a bowl. If you don’t happen to have microwave-safe mug, try using any of the following: small porcelain ramekin, small ceramic bowl, small glass prep or mise bowl.
- Hot mug cake. Be careful when removing the mug cake from the microwave. Your mug will most likely be VERY hot. Use a hot pad or oven mitt when removing it from the microwave.
- Mug cakes are best eaten warm out of the microwave, so storage really isn’t needed.
- You can make up your favorite mix-ins and dry cake mix in a gallon bag and store it in the pantry for up to three months.
More quick + easy desserts
Looking for some different easy dessert recipes? Give these other favs a try:
If you try this cake mix mug cake recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Cake Mix Mug Cake
- 6 tablespoons boxed cake mix*, any variety works great, including gluten-free
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons melted coconut oil, canola oil or vegetable oil**
- Frosting and sprinkles, optional for topping
- Spray an 11 to 12-ounce microwave-safe mug or small bowl with cooking spray and then mix together cake mix, water and oil inside.
- Microwave on high for about 1 minute and 10 seconds to 1 minute and 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and allow mug to cool for a few minutes. Add frosting and sprinkles, if desired and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @kimscravings on Instagram and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy and delicious recipes straight to your inbox!
This was the perfect recipe for me and my fiance to eat at bedtime when we’re watching our nighttime shows!
I added a tablespoon of dark chocolate chips and it was almost too rich but the Triple Chocolate Fudge cake mix is exactly what I had in the cupboard so this was meant to be for me! it doesn’t need anything but the frosting for me!
I am an avid baker and sometimes I just crave something fast and easy!
Sounds perfect! Thanks for your feedback!
Kim, so glad to find this. The calorie content is for the standard recipe, right? So how do I figure the calories, carbs, fat, and fiber if I I prepare it with the 5 T mix, 2 T apple sauce, and 2 T water? This was a lifesaver!
Glad you enjoyed! My recipe card automatically calculates calories. To calculate calories for you specific ingredients, try using myfitnesspal. There is a website and an app.
I love the recipe. It’s easy, quick, versatile, and comes out great everytime.
I made Carrot Mug Cake using 6 T. Spice Cake mix, 2 T. Pumpkin puree, 2 T. Water and mixed in some shredded carrot, then topped it with caramel praline ice cream. I made it several time over the course of a few weeks.
We’ve used many flavors and it always turns out well. For my birthday I’m going to try Tres Leches by making it with white cake and the 3 milks mixture poured over the top after baking. Can’t wait!
Wow! I love it! I definitely need to try out the carrot cake mug cake… that sounds so good!
This mug cake is the best I’ve ever tried! I make it at least once a week!
I just tried this recipe and it was the perfect solution to my snack attack. I made it with red velvet and cream cheese frosting and hazelnut spread mixed together. it was perfectly moist and only took a minute 20 seconds in the microwave.
So happy you enjoyed! The red velvet/cream cheese + hazelnut frosting combo sounds amazing!
Moist and delicious! Easy to fix. I only cook mine 70 seconds so it doesn’t get dry. I have made about 5 so far! Excited to try different flavors.
So happy you enjoyed! Thanks for your feedback!
wonderful. Impossible to screw up. my Granddaughter loves them.
So happy to hear! Thanks for your comment!
This was perfect!!!
Yay! So glad it turned out great!
This was so good! Thank you for the recipe!!
This was great. I made a special little mug cake for my little ones 7th birthday. white cake with sprinkles, chocolate chips on the cake as soon as it came out of the microwave, when cooled added cool whip with a few more chocolate chips and sprinkles. so cute. and she loved it. Ty. you saved the day. wish I could’ve posted the picture.
That makes me so happy to hear! Happy birthday to your little one!
Thank you so much Kim. we are at it again for our dessert fix. I love it that its just a treat and not a everyday temptation.
Love hearing that!
Ok, thank you! ☺️
Thank you for replying, however I meant the entire cake mix plus added ing. I wasn’t very clear unlike you who said it makes one cake.
Ohhh… gotcha! Doing a little quick math, if there’s 3.5 cups of cake mix (which is standard), that should make 9 mug cakes.
I would like to make individual mug cakes for gifts. How many cakes can you get from one recipe?
This recipe makes 1 mug cake.
This recipe is so hard to mess up. Accidentally made it with two tablespoons instead of teaspoons of oil, was great.
This was perfect, had a craving but didn’t want to make a full cake for just 2 of us.
So happy to hear that you enjoyed!
So, this doesn’t work with ANY cake mix… I tried it with a Duncan Hines Keto mix and ended up with a wet, soggy, lumpy mess.
The flour used in a keto cake mix is a totally different makeup, therefore the texture will be way off.
Yum! So good! Love this for a quick late night treat!
Yum! Loved this!
Great with chocolate cake mix. But when I tried using white cake mix, it didn’t come out the same much less rise, kind of gooey
I used this recipe with yellow cake mix and the flavor was good but it didn’t rise very much and it was a little too moist, almost gooey as another comment described. Might try again with chocolate cake mix.
Hello, just wondering if the cake mix you chose called for eggs? Some do and some don’t.
Yes, but you’re only using the mix not anything additional, except for what’s called for in the recipe card (water and oil).
My first mug cake….Delicious…moist..PERFECT!!!
So happy to hear it turned out great!
Wow so delicious, simple, and easy to make! Hits the spot !
Yay! I’m so glad you enjoyed!
This was awesome! It definitely hit the craving spot! So delicious and in 1 minute 10 seconds using Aldi gfree vanilla cake mix I had a gluten free mug cake, which I topped with a mix of milk chocolate and peanut butter chips, spreading them as a frosting. I am hanging this up for my go to I NEED SOMETHING SWEET craving!
So happy you enjoyed! Thanks so much for the feedback!