This post has been sponsored by Tyson Foods, Inc. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
This creamy one-pot Cajun Pasta is an easy and tasty dish that’s ready in under 30 minutes. Made with zesty Hillshire Farm® Tajin® Chili Lime Smoked Sausage with Mango, pasta, and plenty of fresh, colorful veggies with Cajun seasoning, it’s such a simple meal to whip up! This Cajun pasta is a must-try recipe; it’s quick, flavorful, and tastes like it came from a restaurant.
Pasta meals are always a hit at my house, and this Cajun-inspired sausage pasta is no exception. Fresh veggies, bold sausage and penne pasta all combined with a creamy Cajun sauce that coats every bite. This pasta is super easy to make and mild enough that the whole family can enjoy it.
I was super excited to find the perfectly flavored sausage to complement this Cajun pasta, Hillshire Farm® Tajin® Chili Lime Smoked Sausage with Mango, at Albertsons. I was also able to pick up all of the other ingredients I needed for this meal, conveniently located at Albertsons. With Albertsons mobile app, I even came across a few helpful coupons and I was able to purchase everything needed for this recipe at a great price.
Albertsons is one of my favorite places to grocery shop because they fully stock all of my go-to ingredients. The Hillshire Farm® Tajin® Chili Lime Smoked Sausage with Mango is easy to spot, located near the lunch meats and other sausage products.
Ingredients For Cajun Pasta
Sausage: I used Hillshire Farm® Tajin® Chili Lime Smoked Sausage with Mango. So tasty! It’s made with quality cuts of meat, and the flavor works so well in this meal. I love how the mango infusions in the sausage add a great depth of flavor to any meal. The sausages are also fully cooked, making them super convenient and easy to prepare.
Pasta: You’ll need 2 cups of your favorite medium-sized pasta. I like to make this pasta dish using penne pasta. Linguine is another popular option for making Cajun pasta recipes. You can also substitute whole grain or whole wheat pasta for added nutritional value. And if you’re on a gluten-free diet, feel free to use a gluten-free pasta.
Veggies: I went with both green and red bell peppers just because it looks prettier – you can use whatever bell pepper variety you prefer. We also really enjoyed the heartiness that the mushrooms give this pasta recipe.
Seasoning: Not all Cajun seasoning is made equal – some have a bit more heat than others. I started with a fairly conservative two teaspoons, but you can most definitely add more if you prefer.
How to Make One-Pot Cajun Pasta
My favorite part about this Cajun pasta recipe is that it’s very straightforward and moves quickly.
- Prep and cook veggies and sausage.
- Remove veggie + sausage mixture to a plate.
- In the same skillet, make the Cajun sauce.
- Toss in pasta. Stir to coat. Cook until the sauce reduces and thickens.
- Once the pasta is al dente, add back the veggie + sausage mixture, and if desired, top with Parmesan cheese & fresh parsley. Stir and enjoy immediately.
Can I Make This Recipe in Advance?
If you don’t wish to serve this dish right away, you can make it in advance to serve later. In fact the flavors will develop even more as it sits!
Keep in mind that the pasta will absorb a lot of the sauce, so your dish will be less creamy if you make it in advance and store all the ingredients together.
Another alternative would be to prepare everything except for the pasta, and then to cook the pasta fresh when you are ready to serve and add it to your other ingredients after re-heating them.
Keep your pasta refrigerated in an airtight container until you’re ready to enjoy.
This Cajun pasta is absolutely perfect for a busy weeknight, but it’s also impressive enough to serve for a special occasion. Add a loaf of bread and a side salad, and you’ve got a feast!
This dish has quickly become part of our regular dinner rotation. In fact, I’ve started keeping penne pasta in the pantry and Hillshire Farm® Tajin® Chili Lime Smoked Sausage with Mango in the freezer so that I can make it any time I want. It’s fast, filling, pretty to look at, and a crowd pleaser – what more could you ask for?!
More Family Friendly Dinner Ideas:
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Give Hillshire Farm® Tajin® Chili Lime Smoked Sausage with Mango a try! It’s super delicious in this recipe, but it’s also wonderful on its own. Click here for more fun recipe ideas!
- 1/4 cup olive oil + 1 tablespoon
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small bell peppers (1 red and 1 green)
- 1 container (8 ounces) white sliced mushrooms
- 1 package (13 ounces) Hillshire Farm® Tajin® Chili Lime Smoked Sausage with Mango
- 1/4 cup white flour
- 1 cup chicken stock or broth
- 2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper
- 2-4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 ounces cream cheese (reduced-fat or regular)
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- Optional for garnish: parmesan cheese & fresh parsley
- Place a large (at least 12 inchenonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Prep the veggies: dice onion, mince garlic, remove stems & seeds and then thinly slice bell peppers. Slice the sausage into coins.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, diced onion, and garlic to the skillet. Stir for 1-2 minutes. Add in the bell peppers, mushrooms, and sausage. Cook stirring frequently until the veggies are tender and sausage is browned, about 7-8 minutes.
- Remove this mixture to a plate or bowl.
- In the same skillet, add in the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil and the flour. Briskly whisk until a dough forms. Cook for 1 minute. Add in the chicken stock and milk whisking constantly. Add in the Cajun seasoning (to taste and spice preference; not all Cajun seasonings are the same heat), oregano, salt & pepper (to taste), and cream cheese. Whisk until smooth.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then pour in the uncooked pasta. Stir to coat. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for about 12-14 minutes, stirring occasionally, and if needed add in an extra 1/4-1/2 cup chicken broth or milk.
- Once the pasta is al dente, add back the veggie + sausage mixture, and if desired, parmesan cheese & fresh parsley. Stir and enjoy immediately.