Creamy Chicken Pasta
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Albertsons. All opinions are 100% mine.
Looking for a super delicious, easy, crowd-pleasing dinner recipe? Creamy chicken pasta with incredible southwest flavors coming right up! This southwest chicken alfredo dish combines tender penne noodles, succulent seasoned chicken, taco seasoning, tomatoes, green chilies, and plenty of cheese, all tossed in the most amazing creamy sauce. Even your picky eaters will enjoy this family-friendly dish made with minimal ingredients. As an added win, it only takes 20 minutes of cook time! It will definitely become one of your go-to dinners!
about this creamy chicken pasta
Creamy chicken pasta offers mega crowd appeal. You know that friend who is adored everywhere she goes, manages to score free drinks from the bartender, and is magically upgraded to first class on overbooked flights? Creamy chicken pasta is that friend. You can’t help but love it.
Ultra creamy with layers of irresistible Tex-Mex flavor, this chicken pasta recipe is special enough for a romantic dinner, but is so easy, my teenage kids can throw it together with no problem! This one’s a winner, guys! Don’t delay… make it tonight!
You’re going to fall in LOVE with this pasta recipe! It requires only 8 simple, easy-to-find ingredients and comes together with very little effort. Here’s a quick rundown of what you’ll need:
- Penne pasta. I love penne pasta in this recipe, but you can use any pasta you’d like — including gluten free! We used Signature SELECT™ Penne Rigate for yummy pasta at a great value.
- Chicken breast. Chicken thighs will also work in this recipe. You can cut the cooked chicken into strips or chop it into bite-sized pieces.
- Taco seasoning. The only seasoning you’ll need to give this recipe the perfect flavor. You could also add a kick of heat with red pepper flakes, if you’re feeling a little wild!
- Olive oil + butter. For cooking the chicken and making the cream sauce.
- Heavy cream. Highly recommended for a super creamy, delicious sauce.
- Cheese. We love using the O Organics® Mexican style blend in this recipe, but feel free to use pepper jack, sharp cheddar or Monterey jack cheese. O Organics offers high-quality, 100% USDA-certified organic products in every aisle of Albertsons.
- Diced tomatoes + green chilies. Feel free to use a can of mild, medium or hot tomatoes & green chilies, depending on how spicy you want this dish.
how to make creamy chicken pasta
You may have tried other creamy chicken pasta recipes, but this one’s the BEST! It’s also super easy! Here’s a quick rundown of how to make this recipe:
- Boil pasta. Start a pot of salted boiling water and cook the pasta according to package instructions. Once cooked, drain and set aside.
- Cook chicken. While your pasta water is boiling and the pasta is cooking, you can season and cook the chicken. Once that’s done, plate it and cover it with foil.
- Make the sauce. Use the same skillet that you cooked the chicken in and melt butter. Once melted, whisk in cream for a couple of minutes and then cheese and tomatoes & green chilies. Stir until the sauce is thickened and cheese has melted.
- Combine all ingredients. Stir the cooked pasta into the sauce. Cut the chicken and either stir it in or add it to the top of the pasta.
- Enjoy! Plate pasta with chicken and add a garnish of cilantro for color.
tips for the best creamy chicken pasta
- Cooking pasta. Don’t forget to season the water with plenty of salt before adding in the pasta; otherwise this dish may taste under-seasoned. As a general rule of thumb, I add 1 teaspoon salt per 4 cups of water.
- Cutting the chicken. You can cut the chicken into strips or you can dice it into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat level. If you’re serving kids or someone sensitive to spice, be sure to use mild taco seasoning and mild tomatoes & green chilies.
While this dish is fabulous as-is, you can absolutely add other ingredients to use what you have available and customize the flavors to your tastes.
- Protein. Swap out the chicken breasts for chicken thighs, turkey cutlets or pork chops for a different flavor.
- Vegetables. Feel free to add some veggies to the mix. Spinach, zucchini, artichokes or roasted bell peppers would all be great.
- Add some crunch. Toast some Panko breadcrumbs in a skillet with butter (or olive oil) and garnish individual plates with a handful of the toasted breadcrumbs.
- Swap the pasta. Really, whatever pasta you have on hand will work. Bowtie, linguine, fussili and ziti are all great choices.
- Cheese. Instead of Mexican blend cheese, try using pepper jack, sharp cheddar or Monterey jack cheese.
storing creamy chicken pasta
Leftover creamy chicken pasta can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Reheat gently in the microwave, splashed with a bit of water, chicken stock, milk or additional cream to keep it from drying out as your rewarm it.
my favorite Albertsons ingredients
Have you tried any products from Signature SELECT, O Organics or Open Nature? Albertsons exclusive brands really can help you stretch your budget with high-quality products at a value in every aisle of the store. Shop these affordable high-quality products
- O Organics® offers high-quality, non-GMO and 100% USDA-certified organic products.
- Open Nature® offers high-quality, minimally-process plant-based products free from 110 food additives.
- Signature brands has options for every meal and occasion including ready to eat, ready to heat, and cooking from scratch ingredients.
I shopped at Albertsons in my local area, but you can also find OWN Brands, O Organics® and Open Nature products at the Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Albertsons, Safeway, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Vons, Randalls, Shaw’s Supermarket, Star Market, and Tom Thumb.
Albertsons also offers Grocery Delivery and Drive Up & Go™ for convenient ways to shop!
I don’t often beg readers to make a specific recipe—I truly love them all, so doing so feels a little like playing favorites—but this southwest chicken alfredo is an exception. Once you try this dish, you’ll find yourself making it on a regular basis. It’s just that good!
more delicious dinner recipes
If you try this creamy chicken pasta recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves this recipe as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Creamy chicken pasta with incredible southwest flavors coming right up! This southwest chicken alfredo dish combines tender penne noodles, succulent seasoned chicken, taco seasoning, tomatoes, green chilies, and plenty of cheese, all tossed in the most amazing creamy sauce.
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 can diced tomatoes & green chilies
- cilantro for garnish
Cook pasta according to package directions; set aside.
Pat chicken dry on both sides with a paper towel. Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken on both sides.
Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken to the heated skillet and cook, turning once, until chicken is completely cooked through (about 5 minutes per side).
Remove chicken from skillet, place on plate, and cover with foil.
Add butter to the same skillet the chicken was cooking in and melt over medium heat. Slowly add in the cream, whisking to incorporate all the seasonings and browned bits left behind from cooking the chicken. Whisk constantly and cook for 2 minutes.
Add in cheese and diced tomatoes & green chilies; stir until thickened and cheese has melted.
Stir in cooked pasta and reduce heat to low.
Remove chicken from covered plate, slice into strips or chop into small bite-sized pieces, and add on top of pasta. Garnish with cilantro!
Leftover creamy chicken pasta will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Reheat gently in the microwave, topped with a little drizzle of water, milk, chicken stock or heavy cream to keep it from drying out.