Cake Mix Brownies – Only 4 Ingredients!
Of all the great brownie recipes, this Cake Mix Brownies recipe has got to be one of the best! Not only are these brownies super easy to make, but they’re also perfectly rich, fudgy and over-the-top delicious. And you only need 4 simple ingredients to make them! You’re going to want these on repeat!
can you make brownies from a cake mix?
Yes! And you will be shocked at how wonderful they taste! So good and simple to make too!
I absolutely LOVE homemade brownies but when a brownie craving hits, I want them right away and don’t necessarily feel like taking the extra time to make them from scratch.
So how do you go from box cake mix to brownies? Read on for all of the delicious details!
what makes brownies with cake mix so great?
- Only 4 basic ingredients. Chances are you have all of the ingredients needed in your pantry right now!
- One bowl. The four ingredients get stirred all together at the same time in one bowl. Super easy!
- Customizable. You don’t have to just stick with chocolate brownies. Experiment and try strawberry or even lemon bars. Yum!
- Delicious. These brownies are irresistible. They are the perfect balance of cakey and fudgy. Everyone who tries these, absolutely loves them!
This recipe for cake mix brownies has a super short ingredient list. Just 4 simple ingredients is all you need! How awesome is that?!
- Chocolate cake mix. You’ll need a 15.25 ounce box of chocolate cake mix. My go-to brand for this recipe is Duncan Hines Triple Chocolate.
- Oil. Either olive or vegetable oil will yield brownies with the perfect moist texture.
- Eggs. Two eggs will add structure, stability, and richness.
- Chocolate chips. For best results, I recommend splurging on a quality brand. I always use Ghirardelli chocolate chips. We love semi-sweet chocolate chips in these brownies, but feel free to use any favorite baking chips.
how to make cake mix brownies
Turning cake mix into brownies is incredibly easy! Here’s how:
- Prepare oven and baking pan. Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Spray an 8×8-inch baking pan or dish with nonstick cooking spray or line it with parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients. In one large bowl, stir all of the ingredients together.
- Bake. Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan and evenly smooth out the top. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top for a little extra chocolate goodness. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. The brownies should feel set on the edges, and a toothpick inserted into the center should come out mostly clean. I know some people enjoy their brownies undercooked, so feel free to remove these brownies a little early.
- Cool and serve. Let the brownies cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then cut into squares and enjoy!
tips for perfect cake mix brownies
This brownie recipe could not be easier, but here are a few tips to make sure your brownies turn out perfect every time.
- Pan size. Be sure that you use an 8×8-inch baking dish or pan for this brownie recipe. Many cake mix brownie recipes use a 9×13-inch pan, like my chocolate chip brownie bars, but this one turns out best using a smaller pan.
- Spreading batter. It is normal for this brownie batter to be very thick. Grease your baking dish well or line it with parchment paper. I use a rubber spatula that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray to spread the batter. Makes this step a cinch!
- Pan type. Either a metal or glass pan will work fine for baking brownies. For crispier crusts and edges, use a metal pan. If you use a glass dish, you may need to add up to 5 minutes of baking time, but be sure to check on your brownies at the time suggested.
You can use your favorite flavor of cake mix to create any type of delicious brownies with just a few ingredients. Here’s some of my favorite ideas:
- Red velvet cake mix brownies. Make these cake mix brownies red velvet flavored by using a red velvet cake mix.
- German chocolate cake mix brownies with caramel. Add a little decadence to your cake mix brownies.
- Yellow cake mix brownies. A super easy way to make blondies!
- Nuts. Finely chopped nuts, like pecans or walnuts, can easily be added to this brownie recipe. I recommend 1/2 to 2/3rds cup of chopped nuts. You can simply sprinkle them over the top or stir them into the batter.
- Cake mix brownies with cream cheese. Add a swirl of softened or whipped cream cheese over the top.
- Candy brownies. M&M’s, Reece’s Pieces, or toffee bits are fun additions.
how to store cake mix brownies
These brownies are best stored in an airtight container for 4-5 days, but I would be very surprised if they last that long.
can you freeze brownies made with cake mix?
Yes, you can freeze these brownies! Cool them completely then transfer them to an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to serve, thaw at room temperature. I can attest to the fact that these are possibly even better once frozen and then microwaved (think melty chocolate chips and rich, fudgy center).
There are many cake mix brownie recipes out there. I’m sure this very one is floating around on the internet, so I definitely can’t take credit for this great idea. This is the recipe my mom would always make when I was a child. Hope you enjoy as much as I do!
more favorite treats
If you try this cake mix brownie recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Cake Mix Brownies are super easy to make, perfectly fudgy and over-the-top delicious. And you only need 4 simple ingredients to make them! You're going to want these on repeat!
- 15.25 oz box chocolate cake mix (I like Duncan Hines Triple Chocolate)
- 1/2 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350ºF and spray a 8x8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, oil, eggs, and chocolate chips.
Pour the batter into the baking dish and spread so it evenly fills the dish.
Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Allow brownies to cool completely before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Storage. These brownies are best stored in an airtight container for 4-5 days.
Freezing. Cool them completely then transfer the brownies to an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to serve, thaw at room temperature.
Photos by Molly at Yes to Yolks.
This brownie recipe is very popular and slight variations can be found on many recipe sites.