Cake Mix Brownies – Only 4 Ingredients!
Of all the great brownie recipes, this Cake Mix Brownies recipe has got to be one of the best! Not only are these brownies super easy to make, but they’re also perfectly rich, fudgy and over-the-top delicious. And you only need 4 simple ingredients to make them! You’re going to want these on repeat!
Did you know that you can totally make brownies from a cake mix? And you will be shocked at how wonderful cake mix brownies taste! So delicious and simple to make too!
I absolutely LOVE homemade brownies but when a brownie craving hits, I want them right away and don’t necessarily feel like taking the extra time to make them from scratch.
So how do you go from box cake mix to brownies? Read on for all of the delicious details!
what makes this recipe so great
- Only 4 basic ingredients. Chances are you have all of the ingredients needed in your pantry right now!
- One bowl. The four ingredients get stirred all together at the same time in one bowl. Super easy!
- Customizable. You don’t have to just stick with chocolate brownies. Experiment and try strawberry or even lemon bars. Yum!
- Delicious. These are irresistible chewy brownies. They are the perfect balance of cakey and fudgy. Everyone who tries these, absolutely loves them!
This recipe for cake mix brownies has a super short ingredient list. Just 4 simple ingredients is all you need! How awesome is that?!
- Chocolate cake mix. You’ll need a 15.25 ounce box of chocolate cake mix. My go-to brand for this recipe is Duncan Hines Triple Chocolate. Betty Crocker works great too.
- Oil. Either olive or vegetable oil will yield brownies with the perfect moist texture.
- Eggs. Two eggs will add structure, stability, and richness.
- Chocolate chips. For best results, I recommend splurging on a quality brand. I always use Ghirardelli chocolate chips. We love semi-sweet chocolate chips in these brownies, but feel free to use any favorite baking chips.
how to make this recipe
Turning cake mix into brownies is incredibly easy! Here’s how:
- Prepare oven and baking pan. Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Spray an 8×8-inch baking pan or dish with nonstick cooking spray or line it with parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients. In one large bowl, stir all of the ingredients together.
- Bake. Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan and evenly smooth out the top. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top for a little extra chocolate goodness. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. The brownies should feel set on the edges, and a toothpick inserted into the center should come out mostly clean. I know some people enjoy their brownies undercooked, so feel free to remove these brownies a little early.
- Cool and serve. Let the brownies cool in the pan (on a wire rack) for about 10 minutes, then cut into squares and enjoy! Delicious with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
This brownie recipe could not be easier, but here are a few tips to make sure your brownies turn out perfect every time.
- Pan size. Be sure that you use an 8×8-inch baking dish or pan for this brownie recipe. Many cake mix brownie recipes use a 9×13-inch pan, like my chocolate chip brownie bars, but this one turns out best using a smaller pan.
- Spreading batter. It is normal for this brownie batter to be very thick. Grease your baking dish well or line it with parchment paper. I use a rubber spatula that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray to spread the batter. Makes this step a cinch!
- Pan type. Either a metal or glass pan will work fine for baking brownies. For crispier crusts and edges, use a metal pan. If you use a glass dish, you may need to add up to 5 minutes of baking time, but be sure to check on your brownies at the time suggested.
You can use your favorite flavor of cake mix to create any type of delicious brownies with just a few ingredients. Here’s some of my favorite ideas:
- Red velvet. Make these cake mix brownies red velvet flavored by using a red velvet cake mix.
- German chocolate with caramel. Add a little decadence to your brownies.
- Yellow cake mix. A super easy way to make blondies! Or use a strawberry cake mix to make strawberry blondies!
- Nuts. Finely chopped nuts, like pecans or walnuts, can easily be added to this recipe. I recommend 1/2 to 2/3rds cup of chopped nuts. You can simply sprinkle them over the top or stir them into the batter.
- With cream cheese. Add a swirl of softened or whipped cream cheese over the top.
- Candy. M&M’s, Reece’s Pieces, peanut butter chips, or toffee bits are fun additions.
frequently asked questions
Brownie mix is just a cake mix without any leavening agent. So, with a little added baking powder and oil or butter, you could turn your fudgy brownies into a chocolate cake!
Fudgy brownies have a higher fat-to-flour ratio than cakey ones. So add more fat, in this case, we’re adding more oil and chocolate. A cakey batch has more flour and relies on baking powder for leavening. The amount of sugar and eggs does not change whether you’re going fudgy or cakey.
Try my cake mix cookies and cake mix mug cake!
how to store
Leftovers are best stored in an airtight container for 4-5 days, but I would be very surprised if they last that long.
To freeze, cool completely then transfer them to an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to serve, thaw at room temperature. I can attest to the fact that these are possibly even better once frozen and then microwaved (think melty chocolate chips and rich, fudgy center).
There are many cake mix brownie recipes out there. I’m sure this very one is floating around on the internet, so I definitely can’t take credit for this great idea. This is the recipe my mom would always make when I was a child. Hope you enjoy as much as I do!
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Cake Mix Brownies
- 15.25 oz box chocolate cake mix (I like Duncan Hines Triple Chocolate)
- 1/2 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and spray a 8×8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, oil, eggs, and chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and spread so it evenly fills the dish.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow brownies to cool completely before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @kimscravings on Instagram and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy and delicious recipes straight to your inbox!
I am eager to try these today.
sounds delicious, can I substitute melted butter for the oil?
I think that would work fine. Enjoy!
Can you adjust recipe to fit 9×13 pan?
Yum! These brownies were delicious!
Fantastic. Cheaper than brownie mix. I used no name that I had at home. 8X8 made a larger batch that brownie mis as it come 3/4 way up the pan. Going to try lemon with white chocolate chip. Passed recipe onto three people so far and I just made the today
Yay! This makes me so happy!!
Can you adjust recipe to fit 9×13 pan?
Doubling the recipe should work.
Oh my goodness… these are so good! So easy too! Will definitely be a new go-to recipe that I’ll make often.
Just want to make sure..the batter is supposed to be more like a wet cookie dough, right? It came out delicious.. but I didn’t expect it to be *that* thick lol
Glad they turned out delicious! Yes, the batter is quite thick.