Healthy Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Zucchini bread queens, do I have a recipe for you! This Healthy Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread with a cinnamon sugar crust is perfectly sweetened, richly flavored, moist, and simple to make.
I teamed up with Wondermix to share this wonderfully delicious Healthy Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread. As always, all opinions are my own.
Anyone else crave a giant cup of coffee and carbs come 3PM? It’s like clockwork…every. single. day. Sometimes a protein bar or rice cake just doesn’t do the trick and I want something a little bit more hearty (and delicious) like a slice of bread! Let’s make that Healthy Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread!
HOW TO MAKE A HEALTHY DOUBLE CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BREAD
I am SO excited for you to try this bread because it is so tasty, but also so much lighter than a classic, dessert-like zucchini bread recipe. With just a few minor ingredient swaps, this bread is made nutritious with lower calories and fat than many other zucchini bread recipes.
This recipe starts with flour and you can certainly use whole wheat or spelt flour, but I went with all-purpose because I was looking for a super tender texture. The bread gets tons of moisture from the zucchini and you can’t even taste it! I also added yogurt and just 1/4 cup of oil. I used coconut oil because it has such great health benefits and it always works so well in baked goods. If you are worried about this bread having a coconut flavor, let me assure you, you cannot taste the coconut oil AT ALL!
If you’re looking to save some calories, I would recommend leaving out about half of the mini chocolate chips. But I insist that you add the cinnamon sugar topping. It really takes this bread to the next level and sets it apart from other chocolate zucchini bread recipes.
Not only is this quick bread super yummy, but it’s also so easy. And it’s especially simple using my new Wondermix. I first learned about the Wondermix when I was at my annual food bloggers conference, several months ago. I was blown away by the convenience and possibilities of this product and I knew I had to have one for myself asap.
This Wondermix is so much more than just a mixer. There are lots of add-on possibilities. I have the slicer/shredder attachment, which had my zucchini shredded in less than 30 seconds. Winning!
There’s no doubt, the Wondermix will get the job done! It has 900 watts of power, which can do so much, from whipping up a birthday cake to mixing up very large batches of bread dough. It comes with a Life Time Limited Warranty and is super easy to clean. The bowl is dishwasher safe and also really large, so there’s less mess when mixing. And if you’re mixing up a large batch of something, there’s even an available lid for the mixing bowl.
Now, let’s talk zucchini bread tips. I want your bread to come out just like mine – over the top irresistible!
TIPS FOR MAKING HEALTHY DOUBLE CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BREAD
- Don’t overmix the batter. Overmixing leads to a tougher bread.
- To prevent the bread from sinking, keep the oven door shut. (I’m not a patient person, I know this tip from experience!)
- Before removing the bread out of the oven, make sure it is fully cooked. If the bread is undercooked it will sink in the middle.
- Zucchini is an incredibly moist vegetable, which is what helps to make this bread so deliciously moist without too much oil. Some recipes suggest squeezing out water before adding the zucchini to the batter. For this recipe, you don’t need to that.
- The cinnamon sugar topping is optional. It’s seriously so delicious, though!
- To prepare your loaf pan, I recommend spraying it with a non-stick cooking spray and then dusting it with flour. It really adds something special to the outside of the bread.
- Prevent your chocolate chips from sinking to the bottom of the bread by tossing them in a little flour before mixing them into the batter. This will help suspend them in the batter. If you’re not using the crust, I would also reserve a handful of chocolate chips to sprinkle over the top of the zucchini bread batter once it has been placed in the bread pan.
- You do not have to peel the skin off of the zucchini.
IF YOU LIKE THIS HEALTHY DOUBLE CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BREAD, YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Healthy Zucchini Bread from Cookie + Kate
Chocolate Chip Banana Zucchini Bread from Oh Sweet Basil
Chocolate Zucchini Bread from Modern Honey
A delicious and healthier take on chocolate zucchini bread. You're going to love how flavorful, moist and easy this quick bread recipe is!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (whole wheat flour or white whole wheat flour would work too)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup melted and slightly cooled coconut oil, avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt (low fat or fat free will work fine)
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar (or a brown sugar/spenda blend and adjust amount according to package instructions)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (about 1 large zucchini) packed shredded zucchini (you do not need to squeeze out moisture)
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (or a brown sugar/spenda blend)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan and set aside. Mix topping ingredients (if using) and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and cocoa. Set aside.
In the Wondermix or other stand mixer or using a hand mixer, beat together oil, sugar and eggs for about 1-2 minutes until slightly fluffy. (This can be done without a mixer, but is easier using one.) Add vanilla and Greek yogurt and continue to mix.
Fold in the shredded zucchini to wet ingredients. Add in the dry flour ingredients. Stir until just combined (do not overmix) and lastly fold in the chocolate chips. (I did not use the mixer for combining dry and wet ingredients, as you do not want to overmix.)
Transfer batter into prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle the topping over the top of batter. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out mostly clean, you might have some melted chocolate chips on the toothpick and that is fine. You just don’t want a lot of gooey batter. Oven temperatures vary, so just make sure to start checking at 45-50 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and set on a wire cooling rack. Let the bread cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the bread and carefully remove from the pan. Let the bread cool on the wire cooling rack until slightly warm. Cut into slices and serve.
CHANGE IT UP: Add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans. MAKE MUFFINS: Makes 12 muffins. Reduce baking time to 20-25 minutes. MAKE IT VEGAN: Replace the eggs with flax eggs and use dairy free chocolate chips and yogurt. MAKE IT DAIRY FREE: Use dairy free chocolate chips. Instead of Greek yogurt, use a dairy free yogurt variety or applesauce or additional oil. MAKE IT EGG FREE: Replace the eggs with flax eggs. MAKE IT GLUTEN FREE: Bob’s Red Mill’s all-purpose gluten-free mix should work well. MAKE IT LOWER IN FAT: I would argue that this bread contains a healthy amount of fat, but you can replace the oil with applesauce if you’re following a low-fat diet. STORAGE SUGGESTIONS: The bread will keep on the counter, wrapped in plastic wrap, for up to 4 days. This bread also freezes well. To freeze, cool the bread completely and wrap in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost before slicing. NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION is with topping and based off of ingredients I used - all-purpose flour, low fat Greek yogurt, brown sugar/Splenda blend.