Death by Chocolate Trifle
Death by Chocolate Trifle is a layered pudding and brownie dessert that looks impressive and tastes amazing, but is super easy to make! It’s starts with crumbled brownies that are topped with layers of chocolate pudding, Cool Whip and toffee bits. This chocolate layered dessert is perfect for all of the chocolate lovers in your life. It’s a fabulous treat to bring to parties and holiday gatherings, and people always ask me for the recipe.
Have you ever had that one dessert that you just couldn’t stop thinking about until you got to enjoy it again? That’s this death by chocolate recipe for me. It’s the perfect amount of chocolate, creaminess, and richness to keep you coming back for more.
I’ve been making this easy layered dessert for years! It’s a popular choice for birthdays, holidays and other special occasions. A simple, yet show-stopping dessert can take an ordinary gathering and make it something extraordinary. And this death by chocolate layered trifle is that good! This irresistible dessert is a major crowd pleaser that both the adults and kids will devour.
what is a death by chocolate trifle?
This death by chocolate dessert has 4 repeating layers – crumbled brownie, creamy chocolate pudding, whipped topping and toffee bits. Once you have the brownies and pudding made, you’ll just simply layer them with the Cool Whip and toffee bits. Allow the dessert at least 2 hours to chill in the fridge, so plan to make this dessert in advance. You can actually make it the day before you plan to serve it.
Trifles are a great dessert for entertaining. They look so fancy, and no one will guess just how easy this recipe is to whip up! You can either make this layered brownie recipe in a large trifle dish (or punch bowl) or try making individual mini trifles. You can serve them in small glasses or even shot glasses. Everyone loves having their own individual dessert to enjoy. I served these mini trifles when I had family over last weekend, and they were a hit. To quote my son, “This tastes like heaven in my mouth!” Ha! I hope you feel the same way!
death by chocolate ingredients
One of the best parts about this death by chocolate recipe is that it’s made with just 4 main ingredients. They are all inexpensive and readily available at your local grocery store. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Brownie mix. You’ll need an 16 ounce box of brownie mix. My go-to brand for this recipe is Betty Crocker Delights Supreme Original. Feel free to use any favorite brand. You could even use a family-size boxed brownie mix – you’ll just have more crumbled brownie in your dessert.
- Instant chocolate pudding mix. Be sure to use INSTANT pudding mix for best results.
- Cool Whip. I like using Cool Whip for this type of dessert. Homemade whipped cream would probably work, but it is not as stable and more likely to melt.
- Toffee bits. Feel free to use regular toffee bits, but I really love the Heath milk chocolate English toffee bits.
Find the complete recipe with measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
how to make death by chocolate
The ingredients and assembly instructions for this death by chocolate recipe are really simple. Here’s the basic process to follow:
- Bake brownies. Prepare brownies according to package directions. Let cool.
- Make pudding. Mix pudding according to package directions.
- Layer ingredients. In a glass trifle bowl, small punch bowl, or small glasses, layer in the following order: 1/2 of the brownie, crumbled; 1/2 of the pudding; toffee bits (use as much as you’d like); 1/2 of the whipped topping. Repeat layers in the same order. Save some toffee bits to sprinkle on top before serving.
- Chill dessert. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until you’re ready to serve, at least 2 hours. Best if made the day before you serve it, so everything can blend together and it has time to get nice and cold.
For full instructions, reference the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
tips for recipe success
The hardest part about making death by chocolate dessert is waiting for it to chill for a couple of hours before digging in! But here are some tips, so your trifle is perfect every time you make it:
- Make sure you buy INSTANT pudding, that way it will thicken up without having to heat it.
- For best results, allow the dessert to chill for at least 2 hours, overnight is best!
- Feel free to change things up! Instead of using milk chocolate toffee bits, try using crumbled Reese’s peanut butter cups, M&Ms, chocolate chips or shavings, or any other favorite candy that you like. You could even experiment with using crumbled cookies!
- Homemade whipped cream. If you really are not a fan of Cool Whip, you can sub with homemade whipped cream. I would not recommend using whipped cream from a can because it will melt.
- To make homemade whipped cream, use an electric mixer to whip 1 cup of heavy whipping cream with 2 tablespoons powdered sugar or granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Continue to whip on medium-high speed for about 3-4 minutes and until medium peaks form. Then, layer with the other ingredients as you would the Cool Whip.
One of the best parts about this easy chocolate dessert recipe is that you can make it a day ahead of time. That makes it perfect for serving during the holidays – it’s one less thing you have to worry about the day of the event!
Storing leftovers. Cover and store any leftover dessert in the fridge for up to about 2-3 days.
You will not be disappointed by this death by chocolate dessert – it serves a lot of people, which makes it perfect for the holidays or any gathering. I also love that it can be made ahead of time, so on the day of your party all you need to do is dig in and enjoy!
more favorite desserts
If you love an easy, show-stopping dessert like this death by chocolate trifle, you’re sure to love these other easy, yet amazing desserts!
If you try this death by chocolate recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Death by Chocolate Trifle
- 1 package brownie mix , I like Betty Crocker Original Supreme
- 2 (3.9 ounce) packages instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 (16 ounce) container Cool Whip, thawed
- 1 (8 ounce) bag Heath milk chocolate English toffee bits
- trifle bowl or small punch bowl
- Prepare brownies according to package directions. Let cool.
- Mix pudding according to package directions, using whole milk for thicker pudding.
- In a glass trifle bowl or small punch bowl, layer in the following order: 1/2 of the brownie, crumbled; 1/2 of the pudding; toffee bits (use as much as you'd like); 1/2 of the whipped topping. Repeat layers in the same order. Save some toffee bits to sprinkle on top before serving.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until you're ready to serve, at least 2 hours. Best if made the day before you serve it, so everything can blend together and it has time to get nice and cold.