Skinny Enchilada Casserole
You guys are going to love this tasty, skinny enchilada casserole that takes less than 30 minutes, from start to finish! Even my picky kiddos enjoy this easy chicken enchilada casserole! It’s made with shredded chicken, rice, corn, black beans, salsa and cheese, all baked together to golden brown perfection.
This recipe was originally published on 3/13/15. It was republished on 6/17/19 with updated photos and helpful recipe tips.
HOW DO YOU MAKE CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE?
This skinny enchilada casserole seriously could not be easier to throw together! It’s the perfect recipe for using up leftovers, you may have lurking in the fridge. I used leftover brown rice and shredded chicken from a rotisserie chicken. Feel free to use a little more or less of the ingredients listed, depending on what you have on hand. Also, if you enjoy quinoa more than brown rice, feel free to make the substitution or any other substitution you prefer. This casserole is really versatile – don’t feel like you have to strictly follow the ingredient list!
Simply start by mixing all of the enchilada casserole ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Then transfer the mixture into a casserole dish or 8 x 8 inch baking pan. Top with additional cheese and bake for about 15 minutes. So easy + quick!
TIPS FOR CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE
- You can use any type of cooked chicken for this dish. I typically use leftover diced chicken or shredded rotisserie chicken. You can also roast chicken for this recipe, or put some chicken breasts in the slow cooker.
- This casserole can be assembled up to 4 hours before you plan to serve it.
- Use any favorite cheese for this recipe. I used a lite 3 cheese blend from Trader Joe’s.
- This recipe can easily be doubled to feed a large crowd.
ENCHILADA CASSEROLE VARIATIONS
There are so many different ways to customize this casserole to your preferences!
- Protein: Try using ground turkey, beef or bison instead of the chicken.
- Beans: Pinto or kidney beans work well if you don’t have black beans on hand.
- Tortillas: Try serving taco-style with the casserole wrapped in a corn or flour tortilla.
- Cheese: I typically make this dish with a 3 cheese Mexican blend. Cheddar, mozzarella and pepper jack are all great options too.
- Additions: Mushrooms, diced bell pepper or sautéed onions. Feel free to use any favorite ingredients and make this your own!
I love to add toppings to my casserole after it comes out of the oven – it’s an optional step but it really makes this dish special! Some great topping ideas include diced avocado or guacamole, sliced black olives, chopped red onion, cilantro, chopped tomatoes, sour cream or sliced jalapeños.
This is a great recipe to have for those busy nights when you don’t have a ton of time to get dinner on the table. It’s a crowd pleaser for both kids and adults!
Love this recipe? Try my other favorite easy Mexican casserole dish, Sweet Potato Black Bean Casserole! Try serving this meal with my BEST Damn Salsa and my family’s favorite homemade guacamole recipe!
Skinny Enchilada Casserole
- 1 cup cooked brown rice or quinoa
- 2 cups cooked chicken,, cubed or shredded (I used a rotisserie chicken.)
- 1 3/4 cups salsa
- 1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chiles
- 1/2 cup corn kernels,, frozen, canned or roasted
- 1/2 cup canned black beans,, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro,, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- salt & pepper to taste,, as needed
- 1 cup shredded cheese,, divided (I used a lite combination of Monterey Jack, Mozzarella and Cheddar.)
- Optional garnish; diced avocado,, tomato and fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and prepare an 8x8 or 2 to 2 1/2 quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine brown rice or quinoa, chicken, salsa, green chiles, corn, black beans, cilantro, cumin, chili powder, garlic salt and 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Spread mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Bake uncovered until bubbly and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with avocado, tomato and cilantro, if desired.