Grilled Chicken Tacos
Chicken tacos are one of my family’s very favorite meals and these are super simple to make and the end result is always sure to impress! The BEST grilled chicken tacos are made with warm tortillas filled with Mexican spiced chicken, corn cabbage slaw, a creamy taco sauce, avocado slices and a squeeze of fresh lime. It’s a crowd-pleasing meal that’s quick, easy, and packed with flavor!
Summer isn’t complete without a night of grilled chicken tacos! The great thing about this recipe though is that it can be made year round. I’ve included instructions for grilling, baking or cooking the chicken on the stovetop.
Use the method of cooking that works best for you. Or try all three and pick your favorite method (my personal favorite is grilled).
You guys are going to LOVE this chicken taco recipe! They are seriously the best! I’ve been using this recipe for years and it’s just a foolproof, all around delicious recipe for chicken tacos.
These chicken tacos are seasoned chicken breast (or you could use chicken thighs) grilled to perfection, then layered with a corn cabbage slaw, a drizzle of creamy taco sauce, and topped with avocado slices and a squeeze of lime. Major taco perfection! You’re going to find yourself putting these tacos on the menu often!
Chicken Taco Ingredients and Substitutions
The marinade for these chicken tacos require very few ingredients. Most of the ingredients on the list below are spices that I’m sure you already have on hand.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts, tenders, or thighs. I typically use chicken breasts, but use your preferred cut of meat. Thighs char the best and tend to stay more tender and juicy, but if you prefer breasts they will work, just keep an eye on the temp as they can dry out easier. Cook just to 165 degrees in the center.
- Olive oil. Avocado or vegetable oil will work too.
- Limes. If you are in a pinch then lemons may be substituted.
- Salt. For the marinade, I use 1/2 teaspoon. You can always add more (to taste) to the finished product.
- Paprika. I love the rich, smokey flavor of smoked paprika, but standard paprika will work too.
- Ground cumin. Ground cumin is a classic Mexican spice and there really is no substitute!
- Garlic. I keep things simple and use garlic powder, but fresh garlic has great flavor. You can substitute the garlic powder with 3 cloves (peeled & smashed) fresh garlic.
- Chili lime seasoning or chili powder. We love the chili lime seasoning from Trader Joe’s and use it often. I’ve even seen other grocers carrying similar spices, but if chili powder is what you have on hand, it will work just fine.
We are obsessed with the slaw and sauce in this recipe and I definitely recommend you take the extra time to whip them both up! It’s the same slaw and sauce recipe from my delicious fish tacos. Other topping ideas include:
- Diced tomatoes
- Salsa or pico de gallo
- Shredded lettuce or cabbage
- Mexican cheese such as queso fresco, cotija or Monterey jack cheese
- Mexican crema or sour cream
- Grilled corn
- Sliced jalapeño
- Sautéed bell peppers and onions
How Do You Make Chicken Tacos?
Start this recipe by combining chicken with olive oil, lime juice, and all of the seasoning in a large zip-top baggie to marinate for at least an hour. While the chicken is marinating, you can toss together the slaw, mix up the creamy sauce and prep any other toppings you might be using.
For cooking the chicken there are four different methods you can choose from. My favorite way to cook the chicken for tacos is grilling. It’s quick and I like the way the outside gets slightly charred and super flavorful. All of these cooking methods work really well though!
BROILER: Set oven to high broil. Position chicken on baking pan sprayed with cooking spray. Broil chicken for about 5-6 minutes on the first side and then remove from the oven and turn the pieces over. Broil another 5 minutes. If your pieces are thicker, they will take a little longer. Thickest part of the chicken should register 165ºF when cooked completely.
BAKE: Preheat oven to 450ºF. Place chicken in baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the center.
PAN: Heat a bit of oil or spray with non-stick cooking spray in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Alternatively, you can use a cast iron skillet. When the pan is hot, add chicken in a flat layer without overcrowding. Cook the chicken for 5 to 7 minutes without moving it around. Flip and continue to cook the chicken for 7ish more minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165ºF.
GRILL: Heat the grill to medium-high heat. Grill the chicken for about 5-6 minutes before turning and cooking on the other side for another 5-6 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and the thickest center registers 165ºF.
Tips For The Perfect Chicken Tacos
- The chicken is best when it has time to marinate for 1 hour or longer, but if you’re short on time, marinate chicken for at least 15 minutes. You can keep your chicken in the marinade for up to 24 hours.
- Keep in mind that with all of the cooking methods, mentioned, cooking time will always depend on the thickness of the chicken and may vary slightly. I highly recommend purchasing a meat thermometer, so you can be sure the chicken is fully cooked. I have and love this one.
- Leftover cooked chicken stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to 4 day.
- You can freeze the chicken for later use. Either freeze the raw chicken in a bag of marinade, then thaw and cook, or freeze the cooked chicken.
- Tortillas: Use your favorite type of wrap or tortilla. Flour, corn or wheat tortillas all make great choices. We even love to use crispy taco shells sometimes.
- Cheese: Because this recipe includes the slaw and sauce, we don’t typically add cheese. If you want to add cheese, though, go for it! A Mexican cheese blend or cotija cheese would be tasty options.
- Spicy: If you prefer your tacos with a kick, add some crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne red pepper to the marinade.
- Toppings: Feel free to leave off the slaw and sauce and use this chicken to make more of a traditional taco with any favorite toppings.
What To Serve With Tacos?
Beyond the signature dish itself, it’s nice to have a side dish or two to round out the meal. These grilled chicken tacos pair fabulously with my Best Damn Salsa (which has awesome reader feedback), my personal favorite homemade guacamole, and an easy Mexican brown rice recipe.
I know you’re going to LOVE these tacos because they’re SO delicious! The perfectly seasoned grilled chicken pairs wonderfully with the cool cabbage and creamy sauce. This chicken taco meal makes the perfect weeknight meal when you don’t have much time to cook. The chicken cooks up super quick and the sauce and slaw can easily be made ahead of time.
Other Favorite Taco Recipes
If you try this chicken taco recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves these tacos as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
The BEST grilled chicken tacos are made with warm tortillas filled with Mexican spiced chicken, corn cabbage slaw, a creamy taco sauce, avocado slices and a squeeze of fresh lime. It’s a crowd-pleasing meal that’s quick, easy, and packed with flavor!
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts or tenders or thighs
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili lime seasoning or chili powder
- 1/4 cup mayo or Greek yogurt
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage, or a combination of green and purple
- 1 cup canned or frozen corn, if canned drained and if frozen, thawed
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1/4 cup sour cream, or Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional for extra spice
- salt, as needed to taste
- corn tortillas diced or sliced avocado or guacamole, fresh cilantro, lime wedges
- If your chicken breast is thick, I recommend cutting in half, horizontally. Do not pound it thin, as it will not have the right consistency for tacos. Combine chicken with olive oil, lime juice, salt, paprika, ground cumin, garlic powder, chili lime seasoning in a large zip-top baggie to marinate for at least an hour.
- Meanwhile, mix up the slaw and sauce. To make the slaw: In a large bowl, stir together mayo, lime juice, cilantro, and honey. Add in cabbage, corn, and jalapeño. Toss to coat. Season with a dash of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Make the sauce: Combine all taco sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- To cook the chicken: Preheat a grill over medium-high heat (it should come to 425 - 450 degrees). Remove chicken from marinade and grill until chicken has cooked through, turning once halfway through grilling, about 5 - 6 minutes per side (thickest center should register 165ºF and they should have grill marks).
- Transfer to a plate, cover with foil and let rest 5 minutes.
- Dice grilled chicken into cubes or slice into strips. Add chicken over warm tortillas and top with slaw, sauce and any other favorite taco toppings and a squeeze of fresh lime juice over the top.
*Nutritional information includes 2 chicken tacos with slaw, sauce and corn tortillas. To save on calories, use fat free or low fat Greek yogurt to make the slaw and sauce.
**For quicker prep time, buy pre-shedded cabbage. You can also use 1 tablespoon taco seasoning instead of the individual seasonings. And the creamy sauce can be made in advance.
***See the full post for other cooking options besides grilling
Slaw recipe from delish.com.
Photos from Sasha at Eat Love Eats.