Clean Eating Mexican Taco Meat
Whoever thought it was possible to limit tacos to Tuesday clearly never tried them stuffed with incredibly tasty clean eating Mexican taco meat!
I don’t think I’ve ever met a person that didn’t love tacos and the great thing with tacos is you can make them as healthy as you’d like. I typically use lean ground turkey or chicken for my taco meat.
Instead of only using a boring taco seasoning mix, think outside the box and jazz up taco night with this full of flavor clean eating Mexican taco meat. Don’t stop with tacos, though, use this tasty Mexican meat for salads, burritos, quesadillas and more. The possibilities are endless!
This taco meat is very kid-friendly, however, if your kiddos or you are sensitive to extra spice, leave out one or both of the peppers, cut the chili powder down to 1 teaspoon and use more tomato sauce than salsa. This recipe is super versatile, so just adjust according to your family’s preference.
Clean Eating Mexican Taco Meat- super tasty Mexican taco meat for lean tacos perfect for any night of the week!
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean ground turkey or chicken
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup tomato sauce or salsa (or a combination of the two)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6-7 taco shells or tortillas
- Optional for topping: guacamole, sour cream, shredded cheese, diced tomato, fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and jalapeños; cook, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes and until onions are soft.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently for 1 minute. Transfer onion mixture to a small bowl and set aside.
- Add turkey to the same skillet; cook, over medium-high heat, stirring frequently to break up turkey, for 8 to 10 minutes and until turkey is no longer pink.
- Season with chili powder, cumin and garlic salt.
- Add onion mixture, tomato sauce or salsa (or a combination of the two) and tomato paste. Mix well. Reduce heat to medium-low, stirring frequently for about 8 minutes and until mixture thickens.
- Serve in tortillas or taco shells with all of your favorite toppings. Enjoy!