Mexican Breakfast Tacos
These Mexican Breakfast Tacos are the perfect healthy morning meal for on-the-go. They’re so easy, delicious and can be made gluten free and vegetarian to please the whole family!
This post was first published on 9/28/17. On 5/28/19 it was republished with new photos, slight revisions to the recipe and helpful recipe tips.
I love breakfast and I love tacos, so why not combine the two? Breakfast + Tacos = Major deliciousness!! I’m not sure why it took me so long to give the breakfast taco a try, but I guarantee this definitely won’t be the last time I cook these babies up! The whole family was pretty smitten.
Finding a recipe the whole family enjoys – winning!! With three picky kiddos, that doesn’t happen very often, so when it does you better believe I take advantage of it. And not only does everyone gobble these up, they could not be easier. It will take you under 30 minutes to make a satisfying breakfast for four. And if you have even more mouths to feed, just simply add another slice of bacon and more eggs. Another plus, all of the ingredients are super simple and things you probably already have on hand.
How do you make breakfast tacos?
These breakfast tacos are super simple to put together. We just have to cook all the individual parts. But they all come together easily with little fuss or prep needed. To save time with the potatoes pre-cut and frozen potatoes work well. And while cooking the potatoes and the bacon the eggs can be scrambled.
Also, make sure the tortillas are heated! Flour tortillas are best for breakfast tacos. Just spray a large pan with non stick spray and toss the tortillas in and let them heat and crisp prior to adding the filling.
Variations For Breakfast Tacos
This recipe is really versatile too. You can try using sausage in place of the bacon and give this morning meal a nutrient boost by adding chopped spinach, bell pepper and/or onion to the eggs. As for toppings, for all of you avocado lovers, guacamole or slices of avocado is a must and I love salsa with my eggs, but black beans and pico would be tasty too. So many variations!
MORE TACO RECIPES TO TRY
Seared Salmon Tacos with Avocado Crema
Healthy Blackened Baja Fish Tacos
If you happen to be a fan of breakfast (like me!) and you LOVE tacos (like me!) you’ve got to make these happen! Be sure to show me your Mexican Breakfast Tacos on Instagram by tagging @kimscravings. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking up! Happy breakfasting, friends!
Mexican Breakfast Tacos
- 1 pound diced red or russet potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt for potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 6 slices of bacon or turkey bacon
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt & 1/4 teaspoon pepper for eggs
- 6 tortillas/wraps
- shredded cheese
- salsa, taco sauce and/or pico
- avocado or guacamole
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- additional salt & pepper to taste
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray or grease with olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add in the diced potato, add the salt and paprika. Stir to combine. Allow to cook for about 10-15 minutes (stirring only a few times to prevent sticking but allowing them to get crispy) until the potatoes are softened and slightly crispy on the outside. Remove the potatoes to a plate and set aside.
- To same skillet add the bacon and allow to cook for about 5-7 minutes until crispy. Remove to a plate and dry with paper towels.
- In a medium size bowl beat the eggs with the milk and mix in the salt and pepper.
- Drain most of the bacon grease out of the skillet, keeping a small amount to use for cooking thhe eggs. Pour in the egg mixture. Stir occasionally while the eggs cook to scramble them.
- Meanwhile, warm tortillas in a heated ungreased skillet for about 15 seconds per side. You can also place 4-6 tortillas between a couple of damp paper towels and heat for about 30 seconds. Layer the tortillas with the breakfast potatoes, bacon and scrambled eggs. Top with any additional toppings. Serve warm and enjoy.
- If making in advance, wrap each tortilla in foil once they have cooled, and keep in the refrigerator for a breakfast that is ready when you are! (Note: if you are making these in advance for the week, I would recommend adding the toppings just before eating so your tortilla doesn't get soggy.)
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @kimscravings on Instagram and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy and delicious recipes straight to your inbox!
I loved these tacos! I will be making this again and again!
Seriously loved these! So much flavor and they were so easy too!
My whole family LOVES these! We make them all of the time just the way the recipe is written!
Made these for a family gathering and everyone loved them!
This turned out so good and bursting with flavor. I’m sure I will be eating this several times per month for breakfast or dinner. Thanks for a great recipe.
Can you freeze these for use later by zapping in the microwave?
You sure can! Store in a freezer baggie and when you’re ready to eat just heat up in the microwave and add your toppings then. Enjoy!
These were so delicious! My kids get sick of scrambled eggs, but they loved these. Thank you for the idea!