Easy Chipotle Ranch Dressing or Dip
A super Easy Chipotle Ranch Dressing (or dip) made in the blender with plenty of flavor and a delicious spicy kick. This dip (or dressing) will be a new favorite to drizzle on tacos or Southwestern inspired meals and is so perfect for dipping with chips or even raw veggies.
This chipotle dip is a new favorite. I took it to a party and everyone loved it! Even the mayo and sour cream haters loved it! Seriously! It is CRAZY good and it only took about 5 minutes to make. Can’t beat that!
I made this earlier in the day and refrigerated it until we went to the party. We served the dip with some tortilla chips, but corn chips and/or raw veggies would be great too!
This chipotle ranch dip is also super versatile. As a thick, creamy dip you can use it as a sandwich spread, burger sauce, a dip for anything from chips and veggies to French fries. And then just by adding a little bit of water to this recipe and thinning it out, you end up with more of a chipotle dressing or sauce. Use it to top tacos, burrito bowls, grilled chicken, salads and so much more.
Ingredients in Chipotle Dressing
We’re taking traditional ranch dressing and adding a southwest flavor and a kick of heat. Yes, please! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Mayo + sour cream. Instead of buttermilk (like traditional ranch dressing recipes) we’re using a combo of mayo and sour cream to make this dressing extra creamy. Feel free to sub some of the mayo or sour cream with Greek yogurt to lighten up this recipe.
- Garlic powder + minced garlic. Garlic is a must for any type of ranch dressing or dip!
- Onion powder. This ingredient is another must for that authentic ranch flavor.
- Dried dill. I’m a huge fan of that classic dill flavor in my ranch. For this southwest ranch, it’s completely optional.
- Lime juice. In classic ranch dressing, lemon juice is used to balance the dressing. But I think lime goes so much better with all of the other flavors in this chipotle dressing.
- Salt. Use this to bring out the flavors in the dressing.
- Chipotle pepper. Canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce can be found near the other Mexican ingredients at the grocery store. Do NOT use the whole can, you’ll more than likely only want to use one pepper and a teaspoon or two of the adobo sauce. If you want this dip extra spicy, you can always add a bit more pepper.
- Water. If you’re using this recipe as a dressing rather than a dip, add a bit of water to thin the mixture out until it is of a pourable consistency.
How to Make Chipotle Ranch Dressing (or dip)
This recipe could not be more quick and easy! Simply add all of the ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Feel free to adjust spices and the amount of chipotle pepper used based on your taste (and heat) preferences.
If you want to use this chipotle sauce as a dressing, add a little water at a time until the dressing is a pourable consistency. But avoid adding too much water as it can dilute the flavor.
Super creamy and full of flavor! Forget the store-bought ranch dips! This recipe is going to be a staple in your household. I love to drizzle it over taco bowls, salads and so much more.
- Once you’ve mixed all of the ingredients for this chipotle dressing together, be sure to taste test and adjust as needed. Adobo sauce adds heat, lime juice adds acidity, and salt enhances all the other flavors.
- If making this dressing in advance, you may need to thin it out by adding a little additional water after it has been in the fridge for several hours.
- This chipotle ranch dressing will stay good in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Simply give it a stir and add a bit of water (as needed) before using it.
Serving Chipotle Ranch Dressing (or Dip)
Chipotle ranch dressing is so delicious drizzled on salads, tacos and burrito bowls or used as a dip for chips, sweet potato fries and veggies. Here are some recipes I love to pair it with:
Black Bean Vegetarian Enchiladas
Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos
If you try this chipotle ranch dressing recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Easy Chipotle Ranch Dressing or Dip
What to dip in the sauce
- chips, celery sticks, BBQ wings, raw veggies
- 1/2 cup mayo (I like to use a brand with only natural ingredients)
- 1/2 cup light sour cream or Greek yogurt (I prefer the flavor of sour cream in this dip)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste as needed
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic or 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- Pepper to taste
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce* (NOT the entire can)
- 1 tablespoon packed fresh green onions (optional to garnish)
- 3-4 tablespoons water, plus more as needed to thin (if using as a dressing)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Blend until completely smooth.
- Taste and adjust -- adding more seasonings, as needed, or increasing the chipotle peppers to heat preference.
- Enjoy garnished with green onions. Serve as a dip or add a bit of water and serve on top of salads, especially those that could benefit from a creamy, smoky/spicy kick. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. Not freezer friendly. After refrigerating it gets thicker, so thin with more water as needed.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @kimscravings on Instagram and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy and delicious recipes straight to your inbox!
This recipe was first published in April 2019. It was republished in September 2020 with updated content.
While I have not made it yet, my tastebuds tell me virtually that this is gone to be winner. Thank you.
But being a Canadian I will take a small portion and add just the right amount of Maple Syrup which in my opinion is not used enough in various recipes. Try it, you’ll like it.
Great idea! Hope you enjoy!
Loved this dressing! I wanted something like this for some swordfish tacos and it worked perfectly. Thanks for posting it!
That sounds so good! So happy that you enjoyed and thanks for your comment!
Such a good dressing! I make this for my southwestern chicken salads and its so easy and delicious! I have made this about 4 times now. Definitely my ‘go-to’ recipe
Awesome! So happy that you love and thanks so much for taking time to leave a review!
Just a note to say this still works great as a dressing without the sour cream/yogurt if you’re non-dairy (or don’t have this ingredient on hand). I subbed a splash of almond milk and it tastes great. I expect if you want his thicker to use as a dip you may have to try something else. Thanks for the great recipe!
So happy to hear that you enjoyed! Thanks so much for your specific feedback too!
Great dip for just about everything. Currently using it for deep fried pickle chips. Yum!
Oh that sounds fabulous! So happy you enjoyed!
I’m thinking this would be a great dip for jalapeno poppers!
Oh yum! That would be delish!
Thank you for the recipe. I made it as a dip and it was fantastic. I used two adobe peppers (we are fans of spicy heat). I was a little concerned that it was somewhat thin, but I made it a day ahead and when I served it up it had thickened as promised. Will be making this frequently.
Yay! So happy to hear that you enjoyed. Thanks so much for your comment!
Ok, I’m straight & ridiculously honest. I needed a chipotle ranch recipe for sweet potato fries (dipping sauce). I ended up smearing it on my burger & my boyfriend wanted to eat it by the spoon-full. Easy & totally worth your while!
The flavor in this is amazing! I’ve used it as a dip and a dressing. Dipping it with chips right now and using in a taco salad later.
So glad you’re enjoying it as much as I do! Thanks so much for taking time to comment!
Delicious! I was concerned that the garlic flavor would be too strong from the garlic powder but it wasn’t. It was well balanced with a mild kick (I used only 1 chipotle because my kids are wimps when it comes to spice), and my mayo-hating son kept asking to taste it over and over. Would definitely make it again.
Awesome! Thanks so much for all of your feedback!
This was delicious! Made for a get together and everyone loved! 🙂
This sauce is absolutely wonderful! Used it as a dip for sweet potato fries, and this really kicked them up a notch!
This is my new favorite dressing!!! This makes whatever I put it on even better! I’ve drizzled it on salads, tacos, nachos, grilled fish, steak, chicken, and veggies. I will most definitely be keeping a jar of this in the fridge.
So good… made it with Greek yogurt instead of the mayo and sour cream! Thanks for the recipe!
Yum! I always prefer homemade dips, and this chipotle ranch dip turned out perfect!
I could certainly eat this dip all by itself! It was so creamy and delicious!
This dressing is SO good! I googled chipotle ranch dressing and this popped up and I had everything to make it. I followed the recipe as is and it turned out great!
Great easily modifiable to taste recipe! I used 2 chipotles and about 1 tbsp or so worth of sauce from the can to roughly 4 ounces light sour cream and 1 oz light mayo and played around with the seasonings and lime juice a bit. I stopped buying prepared dressing because the ingredients are so low quality and unhealthy. I love chipotle ranch. This was better tasting and better quality! Thanks!
Thanks so much for taking time to leave your feedback! So glad you enjoyed!
This is one of the best dressings I have ever had! I love that slight spicy kick!
Everyone in my home is addicted to this recipe! Such amazing flavors!
I love making my own sauces and dips too! And this was a fantastic recipe with a great kick. Thank you for sharing!
Omg..!!! This was soooo good. I will never buy another chipotle dressing again. Very tasty and delicious , love it!!!!
That’s awesome! So glad you enjoyed!