Easy Chipotle Ranch Dressing or Dip
A super Easy Chipotle Ranch Dressing (or dip) made in the blender with plenty of flavor and a delicious spicy kick. This dip (or dressing) will be a new favorite to drizzle on tacos or Southwestern inspired meals and is so perfect for dipping with chips or even raw veggies.
This chipotle dip is a new favorite. I took it to a party and everyone loved it! Even the mayo and sour cream haters loved it! Seriously! It is CRAZY good and it only took about 5 minutes to make. Can’t beat that!
I made this earlier in the day and refrigerated it until we went to the party. We served the dip with some tortilla chips, but corn chips and/or raw veggies would be great too!
This chipotle ranch dip is also super versatile. As a thick, creamy dip you can use it as a sandwich spread, burger sauce, a dip for anything from chips and veggies to French fries. And then just by adding a little bit of water to this recipe and thinning it out, you end up with more of a chipotle dressing or sauce. Use it to top tacos, burrito bowls, grilled chicken, salads and so much more.
Ingredients in Chipotle Dressing
We’re taking traditional ranch dressing and adding a southwest flavor and a kick of heat. Yes, please! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Mayo + sour cream. Instead of buttermilk (like traditional ranch dressing recipes) we’re using a combo of mayo and sour cream to make this dressing extra creamy. Feel free to sub some of the mayo or sour cream with Greek yogurt to lighten up this recipe.
- Garlic powder + minced garlic. Garlic is a must for any type of ranch dressing or dip!
- Onion powder. This ingredient is another must for that authentic ranch flavor.
- Dried dill. I’m a huge fan of that classic dill flavor in my ranch. For this southwest ranch, it’s completely optional.
- Lime juice. In classic ranch dressing, lemon juice is used to balance the dressing. But I think lime goes so much better with all of the other flavors in this chipotle dressing.
- Salt. Use this to bring out the flavors in the dressing.
- Chipotle pepper. Canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce can be found near the other Mexican ingredients at the grocery store. Do NOT use the whole can, you’ll more than likely only want to use one pepper and a teaspoon or two of the adobo sauce. If you want this dip extra spicy, you can always add a bit more pepper.
- Water. If you’re using this recipe as a dressing rather than a dip, add a bit of water to thin the mixture out until it is of a pourable consistency.
How to Make Chipotle Ranch Dressing (or dip)
This recipe could not be more quick and easy! Simply add all of the ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Feel free to adjust spices and the amount of chipotle pepper used based on your taste (and heat) preferences.
If you want to use this chipotle sauce as a dressing, add a little water at a time until the dressing is a pourable consistency. But avoid adding too much water as it can dilute the flavor.
Super creamy and full of flavor! Forget the store-bought ranch dips! This recipe is going to be a staple in your household. I love to drizzle it over taco bowls, salads and so much more.
- Once you’ve mixed all of the ingredients for this chipotle dressing together, be sure to taste test and adjust as needed. Adobo sauce adds heat, lime juice adds acidity, and salt enhances all the other flavors.
- If making this dressing in advance, you may need to thin it out by adding a little additional water after it has been in the fridge for several hours.
- This chipotle ranch dressing will stay good in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Simply give it a stir and add a bit of water (as needed) before using it.
Serving Chipotle Ranch Dressing (or Dip)
Chipotle ranch dressing is so delicious drizzled on salads, tacos and burrito bowls or used as a dip for chips, sweet potato fries and veggies. Here are some recipes I love to pair it with:
If you try this chipotle ranch dressing recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Easy Chipotle Ranch Dressing or Dip
What to dip in the sauce
- chips, celery sticks, BBQ wings, raw veggies
- 1/2 cup mayo (I like to use a brand with only natural ingredients)
- 1/2 cup light sour cream or Greek yogurt (I prefer the flavor of sour cream in this dip)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste as needed
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic or 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- Pepper to taste
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce* (NOT the entire can)
- 1 tablespoon packed fresh green onions (optional to garnish)
- 3-4 tablespoons water, plus more as needed to thin (if using as a dressing)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Blend until completely smooth.
- Taste and adjust -- adding more seasonings, as needed, or increasing the chipotle peppers to heat preference.
- Enjoy garnished with green onions. Serve as a dip or add a bit of water and serve on top of salads, especially those that could benefit from a creamy, smoky/spicy kick. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. Not freezer friendly. After refrigerating it gets thicker, so thin with more water as needed.
This recipe was first published in April 2019. It was republished in September 2020 with updated content.