Healthy Fajita Chicken Burrito Bowls
Healthy Fajita Chicken Burrito Bowls right at home! They’re more nutritious, easier and way tastier!
This post was sponsored by Green Giant as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
I finally tried making burrito bowls at home. And I’m in love. They’re so easy and fast to meal prep too!
I’ve made this recipe a couple of times now and it’s perfect for cooking up on Sunday afternoon and then dividing out the portions into meal containers for lunches or dinners for the next several days. Winning!
What goes in Healthy Fajita Chicken Burrito Bowls?
This dish can be completely customizable to add in your favorite ingredients or substitute my suggestions with your own preferences.
A good burrito bowl can really contain anything you like. Don’t get bogged down by the list of ingredients, just use ones that you have on hand.
The base is Green Giant Riced Veggies and I used the broccoli variety, which gets steamed slightly on the stovetop (or microwave) and then packed with flavor thanks to garlic, cilantro and lime juice.
The Riced Veggies are a super convenient way to include veggies in your meal. Each package takes less than 6 minutes from freezer to table – no prep, waste or clean up like you do with ricing fresh vegetables on your own. There are no sauces or seasonings mixed in, which is great because you can prepare them so many different ways. They’re also gluten free and low-calorie, containing up to 85% fewer calories than the leading brand of white rice.
Have you tried Green Giant Riced Veggies? Grab your $1.00 off coupon! I could eat that for lunch on its own, but wait, there’s more.
- Black beans — substitute with red beans, chickpeas, or refried beans
- Corn — fresh, canned or frozen
- Red onion — or green onion slices
- Red and yellow pepper strips
- Avocado slices
- Chicken — substitute with ground beef, steak or use veggies only
This meal is full of plenty of protein and fiber, vitamins and minerals, and not to mention tons of flavor. Yes, please.
I hope you guys love this quick and easy dish! It’s:
Protein- and fiber-rich
This would make the perfect meal when you want something substantial but healthy on the table fast (story of my life). It’s delicious on its own, but is only elevated when served with chips and salsa. It’s your life and I’m not going to tell you what to do, but this + chips = life.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 3 tablespoons white flour (use gluten-free flour as needed)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- 2 large bell peppers, cut into strips (any color)
- 1 package Green Giant Riced Veggies (I used riced broccoli)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1-2 tablespoons lime juice (juice of 1 lime)
- 2-3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 a red onion, chopped
- 1 avocado peeled, seeded and sliced
- Optional toppings: guacamole, pico de gallo, low-fat sour cream, salsa, fresh cilantro, Mexican-style dressing
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- If not using raw chicken tenders, ground chicken to even, thin pieces or slice large breasts evenly in 2 halves. Salt and pepper the chicken pieces. In a bowl, stir together the taco seasoning and white flour. Generously dredge each piece of the chicken breasts in this mixture.
- Warm a large, non-stick skillet with oil to medium high heat. Once the oil is heated, add the chicken to a single layer in the skillet. Cook for 3 minutes on one side and then flip to the other side and cook for another 4-6 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Set aside to allow to cool.
Add the peppers to the same heated skillet (no need to wash skillet and drizzle with a little extra oil only if needed), and cook until soft and slightly charred. Season with salt and pepper.
While the chicken is cooking, prep the riced broccoli: combine the riced broccoli and minced garlic in a pot over high heat. Once the riced broccoli is cooked through, stir in 3 tablespoons (1 large) lime juice and 3 tablespoons packed & finely chopped cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Chop or slice the cooked and cooled chicken.
- Coarsely chop the lettuce into small pieces.
Place lettuce on the bottom of 6 bowls. Divide the riced broccoli, chicken, peppers, corn, black beans, onion and avocado evenly among the bowls.
Top each bowl with toppings of your choice and, if using, drizzle dressing evenly over the bowls.
Enter to win 10 Prize Packs, consisting of a $50 gift card and 10 full-value product coupons, per person. Giveaway now through Monday, August 27.
I-C will randomly select winners from all program entries and will facilitate fulfillment of the winning prizes