Crispy Oven Baked Beef Tacos
This post has been sponsored by McCormick®. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
My family adores taco night, and they get extra excited when I serve these Crispy Oven Baked Beef Tacos! Crispy beef tacos are filled with seasoned meat and melted cheese, then baked to crispy, crunchy perfection. Add your favorite taco toppings for a quick and easy dinner that can’t be beat.
My beef tacos are so much better than the fast food version, especially when you use McCormick® Original Taco Seasoning Mix. Best of all, this dinner can be on the table in less than 30 minutes.
Crispy Beef Tacos
Tacos are one of the easiest, quickest dinners and my family never complains when they’re on the menu. I make these ground beef tacos almost every week, they’re so fast to make and always bake up super tasty! I grab McCormick Original Taco Seasoning Mix and fun ingredients for a condiments bar using ACME Market mobile app. It’s super convenient to shop using the mobile app, and then I have everything I need for my family to assemble their perfect taco. This makes a great option for entertaining too!
Get Inspired for Taco Night!
What ingredients are needed for crispy beef tacos?
- Olive oil. A little oil will help brown the beef better.
- Lean ground beef. You can use whatever ground beef you prefer or even ground turkey. I like to use 90% lean ground beef. The meat is flavorful and tender, yet not overly greasy.
- Onion, jalapeño, garlic. These add-ins will give the beef added flavor. Feel free to leave the jalapeño out if someone in your family is sensitive to spice.
- McCormick Original Taco Seasoning Mix. A signature blend of McCormick spices gives these tacos such great taste with no artificial flavors or MSG.
- Tomato paste. I love this extra addition to make the taco filling extra rich and saucy.
- Cheese. Use any favorite here. We love using a Mexican blend.
- Taco shells. I typically use hard taco shells for that lovely added crunch. However, in the notes of the recipe card (below), I give instructions for using corn tortillas to make crispy tacos.
I typically put out a toppings bar and include some or all of the following taco toppings.
- Diced tomatoes
- Shredded lettuce
- Minced red onion
- Jalapeño slices
- Sour cream
- Sliced avocado and/or guacamole
- Lime wedges
How do you make crispy beef tacos in the oven?
Making tacos has never been easier or more delicious with McCormick Original Taco Seasoning Mix! You can have these mouth-watering tacos on the table in less than 30 minutes, including prep!
- To make the beef taco filling, combine ground beef, onion, jalapeño and garlic. Cook until the beef is browned and then add the taco seasoning mix, tomato paste and 3/4 cup water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.
- While the meat is cooking, bake the taco shells for 5 minutes.
Now, it’s time to start filling your tacos! Evenly divide the meat among each taco shell and top with cheese. Bake 10 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
Serve the tacos topped with any favorite taco toppings and enjoy!
Beef Taco Variations
There are many ways you can switch up the ingredients in this recipe to suit your preferences.
- Meat. Instead of ground beef, try ground chicken or turkey.
- Cheese. I typically use a Mexican style cheese blend, but you can try using a blend of cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses.
- Spicy. If you prefer your tacos with a kick, add some McCormick® Crushed Red Pepper flakes or ground chipotle pepper to the seasoning.
- Salad. Skip the tortilla and baking, and serve the seasoned beef in a salad for an easy taco salad option.
Tips for Perfect Beef Tacos
- I like to use McCormick Original Taco Seasoning Mix for this recipe. It’s super convenient and is full of flavor. McCormick 30% Less Sodium Taco Seasoning Mix is also available.
- Have you tried using the Albertsons Family Stores mobile app? It’s a lifesaver for making grocery shopping so much easier! However, I also love shopping in ACME Market and other Albertsons Family Stores. The McCormick Original Taco Seasoning Mix is easy to find and located near other seasoning packets.
- To really simplify this recipe, use store-bought pre-shredded lettuce, pre-shredded cheese, and pico de gallo from the produce section of the store.
What I love best about this recipe is that it’s just so easy to make with minimal ingredients! These tasty beef tacos are on my regular dinner menu rotation, and they’re always a hit.
More Delicious Mexican Meals
If you try these baked beef tacos, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves them as much as mine does, be sure to give this recipe a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Crispy Oven Baked Beef Tacos
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef (or any preferred ground meat)
- 1 small onion,, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers,, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic,, minced
- 1 packet McCormick® Original Taco Seasoning Mix or McCormick® 30% Less Sodium Taco Seasoning Mix
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 12 hard taco shells or corn tortillas (see note)
- 2 cups shredded Mexican or cheddar cheese
- Optional for topping: guacamole, avocado, sour cream, salsa, fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over high heat. When hot, add the ground beef, onion, jalapeño and garlic. Cook, breaking up the meat as it cooks, until the beef is browned, about 5 minutes. Drain fat, as needed. Add the taco seasoning mix, tomato paste and 3/4 cup water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.
- Line the taco shells up on a sheet pan or in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Transfer to the oven and bake 5 minutes. Evenly divide the meat among each taco shell and top with cheese. Bake 10 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
- Serve the tacos topped with any favorite taco toppings.