Rise and shine! Delicious, light and airy Yogurt Pancakes are on the menu! This fluffy pancake recipe is beyond easy, is made with simple ingredients and tastes amazing! Your family will LOVE this breakfast and will request these often!
Is there anything more beautiful than a giant stack of Yogurt Pancakes fresh off the griddle on a Saturday morning? Add a glass of orange juice, a strong cup of hazelnut coffee, and a healthy amount of maple syrup, and you have the perfect breakfast and a great way to start a weekend. Don’t you agree?
This yogurt pancake recipe creates a light, airy batter that makes those tall and fluffy pancakes that are super tender. The ingredients are simple and the star of the show is yogurt! Adding Greek or regular yogurt to the batter helps to thicken it up, but still leaves you with the lightest flapjacks.
These greek yogurt pancakes are absolutely perfect! They’re thick and fluffy with crispy edges. And the flavor – they are melt-in-your-mouth delicious!
Just 5 simple ingredients is all you need to make yogurt pancakes! You probably have most (if not all) of these ingredients right now in your pantry/fridge! Here’s the list:
- Flour. Regular all-purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour work great for this recipe. For gluten-free pancakes, try a 1-to-1 gluten-free flour.
- Baking powder. A bit of baking powder will give these plenty of “lift”.
- Salt. Really pulls the flavors together.
- Egg. Two eggs will add extra fluffiness to these. If you’re looking for a vegan option, you can try using 2 flax eggs instead.
- Yogurt. I recommend using a plain or vanilla whole milk Greek yogurt to add plenty of protein and healthy fats. But any flavor or type of yogurt works fine.
Optional: Feel free to add 2 teaspoons granulated or coconut sugar to the batter for extra sweetness. However, if you’re going to add maple syrup as a topping, you should not need additional sugar.
How to make this recipe
This recipe is simple and can be whipped up in a hurry!
- Prep. Heat and grease your griddle or a large skillet over medium heat.
- Dry ingredients. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a small mixing bowl.
- Wet ingredients. In a medium or large bowl stir together eggs and yogurt.
- Combine ingredients. Pour flour mixture into the egg mixture and mix to blend. Let batter rest for about 5 minutes for extra fluffiness.
- Cook. Measure out batter using a 1/4 cup measuring cup for each pancake and cook for about 4-5 mins on each side. They should be golden brown on each side.
- Serve. Enjoy with toppings of your choice!
This recipe is simple and straightforward, but I do have a few tips to give you the most perfect yogurt pancakes.
- Don’t over-mix the batter. You want to gently fold the wet and dry ingredients together until you have a lumpy, just-moist batter. Lumps are good in pancakes, trust me! If you beat the batter until it is perfectly smooth, you’ll have a very dense, flat pancake instead of a light and fluffy one.
- Flip the pancakes. These are ready to be flipped when the edges are set and you see little bubbles popping on the surface.
- Only flip once. Flipping pancakes back and forth causes them to deflate and become dense, so when it’s time to check if they’re done on bottom, just barely lift them to take a peek.
- Don’t press down on the pancake. Avoid using the back of your spatula to press on the pancake. This will cause it to flatten and it won’t help them cook any faster.
- Keep them warm. Place cooked pancakes on a baking sheet in a 200ºF oven to keep them warm while you finish cooking all of the batter.
Frequently asked questions
Yogurt can be a good substitute for eggs, however this recipe has only been tested using both yogurt and eggs. According to Healthline, typically, 1/4 cup (60 grams) of yogurt is added for each egg that needs to be replaced.
Our top tips for really delicious pancakes are to: use fresh baking powder, don’t over-mix the batter, let the batter rest, and gently flip the pancakes.
Rubbery, tough pancakes could be the result of over-mixing the batter. For light, fluffy pancakes, you want to mix just until the batter comes together, it’s okay if there are still some lumps of flour in the batter.
Experiment with different yogurt flavors and mix-ins to customize this recipe! Here’s some ideas:
- Yogurt. This recipe is great with plain yogurt, but if you really want to kick up the flavor, try different yogurt varieties. We love vanilla, strawberry, and key lime yogurt! Any favorite yogurt works!
- Mix-ins. Feel free to jazz the pancakes up however you like! Throw fresh berries, chocolate chips, sprinkles and/or nuts into the batter!
Another great way to change up your flapjacks is with fun and delicious toppings. Find some tasty ideas below!
- Syrups. maple syrup, honey, fruit syrups, chocolate syrup
- Nut butter. peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, sunflower butter, Nutella
- Fresh fruit. blueberries, apricots, strawberries, raspberries, apples, peaches, pears, banana slices, pom seeds
- Dried fruit. raisins, cranberries, figs, apricots, goji berries, dates
- Nuts. almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts, peanuts, sunflower seeds
- Fun toppings. cream cheese, jelly, whipped cream, yogurt, sprinkles, shredded coconut, powdered sugar, chocolate chips
- Storing. Store any leftovers in an airtight container or resealable bag in the refrigerator for up to about 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Freezing. These freeze really well! Once cooled to room temperature, transfer them to a large sheet pan to flash-freeze them in a single layer. When they are frozen, transfer them to an airtight container or freezer bag. Simply reheat from frozen in the microwave or toaster and you have a delicious, healthy breakfast ready-to-go super quick!
Yogurt pancakes are a family favorite breakfast! They’re so easy, I make them all of the time. And not only are they super tasty, these are packed with protein (17.8 grams per serving)! I highly recommend making a double batch because they disappear so quickly!
If you try these, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves them as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Fluffy Yogurt Pancakes
- 1/2 cup (60g) all-purpose or 1-to-1 gluten-free all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup or (5.3 oz.) container nonfat plain (or flavored) Greek yogurt**
- Heat griddle or large skillet over medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray or grease with oil or butter.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a small mixing bowl.
- In a medium or large mixing bowl, combine eggs and yogurt.
- Add flour mixture into the egg mixture and whisk until blended. Allow blended batter to rest for about 5 minutes for super fluffy pancakes.
- Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to measure out batter for each pancake (about 50 grams) and cook for about 4-5 mins on each side. They should be golden brown on each side.
- Enjoy with toppings of your choice.
**For dairy-free pancakes, non-dairy yogurt works perfectly.
***For nutritional info, each pancake is measured with 1/4 cup batter and is about 50 grams uncooked.
****Feel free to add 2 teaspoons granulated or coconut sugar to batter for a sweeter pancake. If you add maple syrup as a topping, you should not need additional sugar in the pancake batter. *****These pancakes also work very well made in a waffle machine.