Easy Chicken Enchiladas
These easy chicken enchiladas are made with shredded chicken, salsa, seasonings and cheese, all rolled up in corn tortillas and smothered with red enchilada sauce. As an added plus, this easy enchilada recipe uses simple ingredients and is pretty healthy! This healthy enchilada recipe is sure to become a family favorite!
Making enchiladas at home is really very easy! In fact, it’s a go-to dish that I make often because it doesn’t take too much time and I know my whole family will be happy about dinner. These easy chicken enchiladas seriously taste like they came from a restaurant and are the perfect way to use up leftover chicken.
My family happens to LOVE Mexican food, especially enchiladas! I enjoy all kinds of enchiladas – chicken, beef, cheese, but these are probably my favorite. There’s nothing too complicated going on and they can be on your dinner table in less than an hour. My family requests this dish constantly, it’s just that good!
How To Make Easy Chicken Enchiladas
These chicken enchiladas start by preheating the oven to 350ºF and lightly spraying a 9×13″ baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread about 1/2 cup of the red enchilada sauce on the bottom of the baking dish and set aside. For the next step, you’ll need cooked, shredded chicken. You can use leftover chicken, a rotisserie chicken, or cook up some fresh chicken breasts. Better yet, fire up the grill and make my favorite grilled chicken recipe.
The chicken is combined with taco seasoning, salsa and cheese, then the mixture is rolled up in the tortillas. I use corn tortillas here because it’s more traditional, but you can absolutely substitute flour tortillas if you prefer. I also like to use a light cheese just to keep this dish a little lower in calories, but any cheese will work, even a dairy-free variety.
The tortillas need to be softened before you roll them up, otherwise they’ll break or crack. Some people dip their tortillas in hot oil to soften, but I’ve found the easiest way to do this is to give the tortillas a good steam in the microwave. Wrap about 5 tortillas at a time in a damp paper towel and cook for about 30 seconds. Add a good amount of filling in each tortilla and roll it up.
After the enchiladas are rolled up and placed in the baking dish, they’re coated in the remainder of the enchilada sauce and topped with cheese. I don’t have much time for making my own enchilada sauce, so I use store bought. I love the Trader Joe’s brand jarred enchilada sauce and one jar is the perfect size to make this chicken enchilada dish. Before they go in the oven, cover the enchiladas with foil. Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and melty.
You can make these enchiladas as mild or as spicy as you like by selecting a salsa and red sauce with the heat content that you’re looking for. I use both mild salsa and sauce because I’m feeding kids. If you like spicy, switch to a salsa with more heat and a hot enchilada sauce. If you really like it spicy, you can even add jalapeños to this recipe.
What To Serve With Chicken Enchiladas
I top my baked enchiladas with a little diced avocado and cilantro for added freshness. I serve these easy chicken enchiladas with our favorite Mexican rice, homemade guacamole, and a fresh green salad for an amazingly delicious dinner that my whole family enjoys.
More Mexican Favorites
If you try these delicious easy chicken enchiladas, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves them as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Easy Chicken Enchiladas
- 14 ounces red enchilada sauce
- 1 pound (about 4 cups) cooked chicken, shredded (I like to use rotisserie chicken)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 8 ounces light shredded mozzarella cheese, divided (or other favorite cheese)
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 14 corn tortillas, softened
- any desired toppings: diced tomato, chopped cilantro, avocado, sour cream, etc..
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly spray 9x13" glass dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread about 1/2 cup red enchilada sauce in the bottom of the baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together shredded chicken, taco seasoning, 2/3 of the shredded cheese and the salsa.
- Prepare corn tortillas, about 5 at a time, in between a damp paper towel and in the microwave for about 30 seconds. This will keep them from cracking when you roll them.
- Fill corn tortillas evenly with chicken/cheese filling, and roll and place into baking dish. Pour remaining red enchilada sauce over top the top of the enchiladas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese + more as desired. Bake covered with foil* for 30 minutes or until hot and melty.
- Top with any desired toppings and serve.