Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
So easy and so delicious! Crockpot Chicken Fajitas come together with just about 5 minutes prep and a few simple ingredients. Throw chicken, sliced peppers, onions, salsa and spices together in the crockpot and walk away! These slow cooker chicken fajitas are on my regular dinner menu rotation, and they’re always a hit!
We all could use more slow cooker recipes in our lives… am I right? Dinnertime seems so much easier and stress-free when I have a meal (or most of a meal) all ready to go when 5:00 rolls around, and I’m always looking for new recipes to try in my slow cooker.
Besides the obvious ease of slow cooker meals, do you want to know my favorite part of using them? I don’t have to turn on the oven! When the dog days of summer hit, and my air conditioning bill is through the roof, the LAST thing I want to do is turn on my oven for anything. So I can either eat a salad, coax my husband into firing up the grill, or use my slow cooker. Nine times out of ten, the slow cooker wins!
I make these Crockpot Chicken Fajitas all of the time! They are so easy, super flavorful, and piled high with fresh toppings. You’re going to love them!
Ingredients In Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
- Chicken – I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts to keep things on the lighter side, but you can use chicken thighs instead for a richer and juicier flavor.
- Sliced onion – Any thinly sliced onion variety works great. Use as much or little as you prefer.
- Fajita seasoning – I like to make my own fajita seasoning instead of buying pre-made store bought packets. Not only does it have the best flavor, but it also ensures that my seasoning blend is free of fillers, preservatives, added sugar or funky ingredients that are often found in the pre-made packets.
- Bell peppers – Red and green bell peppers are the ones I chose to use, but feel free to use any combination of peppers you want. You could also add some poblano peppers into the mix for a different flavor. And if you like more spice, add in 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper to the spice blend and/or a finely diced jalapeño to the veggies.
- Salsa – You can use any favorite salsa here. You could even try making your own homemade salsa! To change things up salsa verde (green sauce) is another great option.
- Lime juice – Don’t forget to add in some freshly squeezed lime juice at the end or right before serving. It really amps up the flavor of these fajitas!
- Tortillas and toppings – This is the fun part! Get creative and use all your favorites.
How Do You Make Crockpot Chicken Fajitas?
Making chicken fajitas has never been easier or more delicious with these flavorful crockpot chicken fajitas! With only about 5 minutes of prep, you can be chowing down on these mouth-watering chicken fajitas for dinner tonight!
- Place the chicken, onion, and peppers in a 6-quart slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine the salsa and fajita seasoning and pour into the slow cooker.
- Cover with a lid and cook 6-7 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high until chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred it with two forks. Transfer the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker. Add freshly squeezed lime juice, mix everything together and taste. Season with salt if necessary.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into heated tortillas using a slotted spoon or tongs and allow any excess liquid to drip back into the slow cooker. Add desired toppings and enjoy!
How To Warm Tortillas
If you’re going to be stuffing this chicken into tortillas and whether you’re using flour or corn tortillas, you’ll want to warm them up following these instructions. It will help them to fold and hold ingredients without breaking. It will also make them more flavorful and the overall dish tastier. Here’s a few ways that you can warm the tortillas:
- Wrap a stack of 5 tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for 15-30 seconds at a time until warmed through.
- Place on a gas stovetop over a medium/low flame — place the tortilla right on the flame on the stovetop and flip after 10-15 seconds.
- Cook in a hot, dry skillet, griddle, cooktop, or grill grates — flip after 10-15 seconds.
Not only are these slow cooker chicken fajitas super tasty, but they’re really versatile too! If you want to try something different other than stuffing a tortilla with the chicken, try making a chicken fajita bowl or salad. Serving them with Mexican rice and beans is always a good option too!
Toppings For Chicken Fajitas
- Shredded cheese
- Sliced olives
- Pickled jalapeños
- Roasted corn
- Shredded cabbage
- Fresh cilantro
What I love best about this recipe is that it’s just so easy to make with minimal ingredients! Give these delicious Crockpot Chicken Fajitas a try and they will be on your regular dinner menu rotation. They’re always a hit!
Programmable Slow Cooker – I love that this slow cooker is affordable and can be programmed. It also holds 6 quarts, which is a great size for most things that I make.
Wüsthof Two Piece Prep Set (Knives) – This is the knife set that I use most often and I can’t say enough great things about these high-quality knives.
Check out these other tasty Mexican recipes!
If you try this slow cooker chicken fajita recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
So easy and so delicious! Crockpot Chicken Fajitas come together with just about 5 minutes prep and a few simple ingredients. Throw chicken, sliced peppers, onions, salsa and spices together in the crockpot and walk away! These slow cooker chicken tacos are on my regular dinner menu rotation, and they’re always a hit!
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut in strips
- ¾ cup prepared salsa
- juice of 1 lime
- flour or corn tortillas
- optional toppings: tomatoes, cilantro, shredded cheese, sour cream, guacamole
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
Place the chicken, onion, and peppers in a 6-quart slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the salsa and fajita seasoning and pour into the slow cooker. Cover with a lid and cook 6-7 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high until chicken is cooked through and tender.
Remove the chicken from slow cooker and shred with two large forks. Transfer the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker. Add freshly squeezed lime juice, mix everything together and taste. Season with salt if necessary.
Spoon the chicken mixture into heated tortillas using a slotted spoon or tongs and allow any excess liquid to drip back into the slow cooker. Add desired toppings and enjoy!
Nutritional information does not include tortilla or additional toppings.
Photos by Danielle from Our Salty Kitchen.