Texas is hotter than hell! Heck, I don’t think there’s a place in the country that’s not hot right now, but sometimes a girl’s gotta have a little soup. I’m a soup lova and it’s been way too long, so I bit the bullet and created a super easy, super healthy, skinny chicken tortilla soup. Everyone, can enjoy this one- it’s gluten-free, Paleo and as clean as they come! My vegan friends, can use veggie broth instead of chicken broth and replace the chicken with beans.
This recipe for chicken tortilla soup is clean eating at its finest, but don’t worry just because it lacks tortillas… oops!… it is not lacking in flavor one little bit! It’s high-five approved by the hubby and even Madelyn said she liked it, but preferred it without the carrots and chicken. Ha! What am I going to do with that girl?!?!?!
I bought Autumn Calabrese’s cookbook, FIXATE, pretty much the minute it came out and this soup follows her Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe pretty closely. I changed the seasonings and left out the tortilla part of the recipe. I’m sticking to a very low-carb diet right now and I figure if you want tortillas or tortilla chips with your soup, it’s easy enough to add without including that ingredient in the actual recipe. If you’re following the 21 Day Fix or 21 Day Fix EXTREME, I calculate 1.5 cups of soup to equal 1 red and 3 greens. If you add about 1/4 cup avocado, like me, that would be 1 blue too.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped (about 1 small)
- 2 cups celery, sliced (about 4 medium stalks)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups low-sodium organic chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped and/or shredded rotisserie chicken, skinless
- 2 cups sliced carrots (about 3 medium)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (add less or omit, if you don't want a spicy soup)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt + more to taste
- ½ teaspoon pepper + more to taste
- optional garnish: chopped avocado, chopped fresh cilantro, crumbled Cotija cheese, Greek yogurt, crumbled tortilla chips
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and celery; cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes and until veggies are soft. Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for about 1 minute. Add tomatoes; cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes and until tomatoes are soft. Set aside.
- Add onion mixture with 2 cups water to high-speed blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Transfer blended mixture back to saucepan and add broth, chicken, carrots and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- Top each serving with preferred toppings; such as avocado, cilantro, cheese, Greek yogurt and/or tortilla chips
-adapted from Autumn Calabrese's FIXATE cookbook.
If you’re craving soup, like me, a couple of other recipes on the blog, you’re sure to enjoy are-
Something to think about….
Do you have the new FIXATE cookbook? You should definitely check into it… I’m very impressed. I’ve adapted another recipe from it, I’ll be sharing soon. Another winner!
Is it hot where you live?