Skinny Chicken Tortilla Soup
You guys are going to love this super easy, super healthy, skinny chicken tortilla soup. Everyone, can enjoy this one- it’s gluten-free, Paleo and as clean as they come! My vegan friends, can use veggie broth instead of chicken broth and replace the chicken with beans.
This cozy recipe for chicken tortilla soup is one of my favorites to make for a warm, healthy lunch or dinner. It comes together super quick with the use of rotisserie chicken and my whole family enjoys it. It seriously tastes like it’s been simmering on the stove all day, but only takes about 45 minutes to make.
INGREDIENTS IN SKINNY CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
To give this soup lots of flavor in a short amount of time we use lots of spices. You can certainly experiment with your favorite seasonings, but my favorites for tortilla soup are onions, garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano. I also recommend adding a topping of fresh cilantro, lime juice and slices of avocado.
Using fresh ingredients makes such a difference. I love using fresh garden tomatoes when they’re in season, but canned diced tomatoes will work fine, if you’re in a pinch. Not only did this soup make my house smell amazing, but it was hearty, flavorful, and so, so comforting – just what I love about chicken tortilla soup.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
Begin this recipe by sautéing onion, celery and garlic. Once those veggies get nice and soft, add in the tomatoes.
Once your onion/celery/tomato mixture has cooked for about 5 minutes, add it to a blender.
Now, blend this mixture until smooth.
Transfer blended mixture with chicken broth, chicken, carrots, and seasonings back in the large pot; bring to a boil and then lower heat to simmer for about 30 minutes and until carrots are soft. That’s it! Super simple!
IS THIS CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP SPICY?
This bowl of soup has the perfect amount of heat alongside a healthy serving of vegetables, all in a warm, comforting broth. The combination of chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper give the chicken tortilla soup a slightly spicy kick. If you’re sensitive to spice, simply leave out the cayenne pepper.
THE BEST TOPPINGS FOR CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
I personally wanted to keep my soup on the lighter side, so I didn’t add cheese and, since I added the avocado slices, I didn’t add any Greek yogurt or sour cream, but feel free to add any favorite toppings. You really can’t go wrong! Just don’t forget the tortilla strips!
You can find pre-made tortilla strips at most grocery stores. They will most likely be located near salad dressings, with the salad toppings. They have different flavor varieties and I usually keep a bag on hand to go with any soup I’m eating. However, if you’re looking for a super authentic version, then making your own tortilla strips is the way to go.
To make your own, simply cut 4 or 5 store-bought corn tortillas into thin strips and fry them in some oil. Once they get crispy, place them on a paper towel to drain off any excess oil and season with salt. That’s it!
Looking for more soup recipes? Check out a few other favorites!
This skinny chicken tortilla soup is super easy, healthy, gluten-free, Paleo and as clean as they come! For a vegan option use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and replace the chicken with beans.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or a generous amount of cooking spray
- 1 cup onion, chopped (about 1 small)
- 2 cups celery, sliced (about 4 medium stalks)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped (or 2 cans diced tomatoes)
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups low-sodium organic chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped and/or shredded rotisserie chicken, skinless
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrots (about 3 medium)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, add less or omit, if you don't want a spicy soup
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt + more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper + more to taste
- optional garnish: chopped avocado, chopped fresh cilantro, crumbled Cotija cheese, Greek yogurt, crumbled tortilla chips
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and celery; cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes and until veggies are soft. Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for about 1 minute. Add tomatoes; cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes and until tomatoes are soft. Set aside.
Add onion/tomato mixture with 2 cups water (only if not using canned tomatoes) to high-speed blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Transfer blended mixture back to saucepan and add broth, chicken, carrots and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- Top each serving with preferred toppings; such as avocado, cilantro, cheese, Greek yogurt and/or tortilla chips
*If using canned diced tomatoes and juices, omit the additional 2 cups water.
**For a vegan version replace chicken broth with low-sodium organic vegetable broth, omit chicken and consider adding 2 cans black, red kidney or pinto beans.
***Recipe adapted from Autumn Calabrese's FIXATE cookbook.