Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
This Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup is loaded with tender chicken, corn, beans, fajita seasoning and is simmered in a rich, creamy broth. Finish with your favorite Tex-Mex toppings for an easy one-pot dinner that the whole family will love!
I made this recipe last night and WOW. I used rotisserie chicken as suggested and it had so much flavor. I also used spicy fajita seasoning because we like spicy. Results were phenomenal. I agree the fresh toppings make alllll the difference (we used cheddar, tortilla chips, sour cream, cilantro). Thanks for a great recipe we’ll be making all winter!!— Anita
We eat a lot of soup during the fall and winter, some of our favorites are vegetable beef soup, chicken noodle soup and this amazingly delicious creamy chicken tortilla soup. I first got the idea for this soup from my mom. She made up a huge pot of Trisha Yearwood’s tortilla soup for a Halloween gathering we were having. It was a HUGE hit and I knew I had to recreate it (with a few minor tweaks) and share with all of you. My son has already requested it several times since then. It’s that good!
This cozy, comforting recipe for chicken tortilla soup has quickly become a family favorite. I love that it comes together super quick with the use of rotisserie chicken or cooked chicken we might happen to have in the fridge. It seriously tastes like it’s been simmering on the stove all day, but only takes about 40 minutes to prep and cook. As an added plus, my whole family really enjoys it. We like to top our bowl of creamy, delicious soup with shredded cheese, avocado or guacamole, crispy tortilla strips and a little fresh cilantro. The perfect satisfying lunch or dinner!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Quick & easy. Soup recipes that are made in one pot on the stovetop are the best! And not only is there less cleanup with this soup recipe, you’ll have dinner on the table in just over 30 minutes!
- So tasty. The bold aromas of Mexican spices are absorbed by the creamy broth and chicken to create a meal that’s filled with savory Mexican flavors.
- Easy swaps. You can make this recipe with all of your favorite Tex-Mex ingredients! Switch up the protein or even make it meatless. This recipe is easy to make vegetarian! Want to use different vegetables? Chicken tortilla soup is versatile and delicious all types of ways.
- Perfect for the family. This family-friendly meal is comforting, cozy and easy to make for the whole family because creamy Mexican-flavored soup is always a crowd favorite. You can easily make this as spicy as preferred, so even the kids can enjoy.
You guys know Mexican dishes are my favorite and this quick + easy soup recipe is no exception. It’s quickly become one of my go-to meals when I need something tasty on the table in a hurry. It’s loaded with everything I’d put in tacos or burritos, but in soup form! Here’s what you need to make it:
- Chicken Broth. I recommend using a low-sodium chicken broth because then you can control the sodium in the soup. Everyone’s salt preferences are different.
- Black beans & kidney beans. You can use all black beans or all kidney beans, if you prefer. You can also substitute pinto or great northern beans for the black and/or kidney beans in this recipe.
- Onion + garlic. Major flavor enhancers!
- Corn. Feel free to use canned or frozen corn.
- Salsa. Use any favorite salsa, but be aware if you use a “hot” salsa, it could make this soup pretty spicy.
- Chicken. You can use frozen chicken strips, diced chicken, shredded rotisserie or leftover chicken.
To make this tortilla soup recipe extra creamy, a small amount of flour, a can of cream of chicken soup and some half-n-half or heavy cream are stirred in with the other ingredients. There are also plenty of spices to add flavor, tortilla strips for a satisfying crunch, and we finish with our favorite toppings (shredded cheese, cilantro, and avocado)!
How to make this recipe
Making this flavorful soup recipe is such a breeze and it takes under 30 minutes to cook. Whoop! You can prep your veggies in advance to save extra time. Here’s the simple process, but for the full, printable recipe, reference the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Sauté. Heat butter in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Then, sauté the chopped onion and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add all of the soup ingredients. Once the onion and garlic are soft, stir in the flour, cooking for 1 minute more. Add the broth and the half-and-half. Stir in the cream of chicken soup, salsa, chicken, beans, corn, cumin and fajita seasoning.
- Simmer. Cook the soup over low heat for 15 minutes. While the soup is cooking, you can be prepping any additional ingredients that you’d like to add as a topping over the soup.
- Serve and enjoy. Ladle soup into individual bowls and top with crumbled tortilla chips or strips. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and add any other optional toppings. We love using shredded cheese, fresh cilantro, and avocado! Yum!
Customize this recipe
This soup is fabulous as-is, but you can easily swap out the ingredients to use what you have available and/or customize the flavors to your preference. Here’s some ideas:
- Chicken. You can use any kind of cooked chicken for this soup, such as leftover cubed chicken, shredded chicken, or roasted chicken breasts.
- Beans. Not a fan of black beans? Try pinto beans instead. You could even leave the beans out completely. If you are going to leave the beans out, I would suggest adding a couple of cans of diced tomatoes.
- Corn. Typically, I use canned corn, but frozen or fresh corn will also work just fine.
- Seasoning. I chose a mild fajita seasoning and salsa, but if you prefer spicy, use a “hot” seasoning packet and salsa instead. You could even sub the fajita seasoning with taco seasoning.
Tips for recipe success
This creamy chicken tortilla soup recipe really is so simple, but here are some tips to make sure your dish is absolutely perfect every time you make it!
- To save time, use store-bought rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken that you have on hand. Of course you can roast or pan sauté the chicken if you’d like.
- Make it less chunky. I feel like this soup recipe has a great ratio of chicken and veggies to broth, but if you’d like a less chunky soup, simply add additional chicken broth. On the other hand, if this soup isn’t chunky enough for you, use less broth or add more veggies.
- Double the recipe. This is fabulous for crowds (everyone loves it) and can be easily doubled. Leftovers are amazing too!
- Taste and be sure to add salt to your soup, as preferred. The saltiness of the broth, chicken, canned ingredients, fajita seasoning, and personal preferences for salt all vary, so salt to taste.
Feel free to add any favorite toppings you like. You really can’t go wrong! Just don’t forget the tortilla strips! Some favorite topping options:
- Shredded cheese. Add a sprinkle of some shredded cheddar cheese, Mexican cheese or crumbled cotija cheese over the top. The cheese gets all melty and delicious! Yes, please!
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt. A dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt gives this soup even more wonderful creaminess!
- Avocado or guacamole. A must for me when I eat Mexican-flavored dishes. By the way, my guacamole recipe is bomb!
- Tortilla chips or strips. One of my favorite toppings to add is crushed tortilla chips or strips. Make your own or grab tortilla strips down the grocery store aisle with salad dressing and toppings. Adds the perfect crunch!
- Cilantro. I’m a huge fan of fresh cilantro and add extra to almost all Mexican recipes that I make. So flavorful and yummy!
- Green or red onions. About a tablespoon of green or red onions would make a great option for an extra boost of flavor.
- Pico De Gallo. Adds delicious freshness!
- Lime juice. A squeeze of a lime is the perfect finish to this soup recipe!
How to make tortilla strips
You can find pre-made tortilla strips at your local grocery store. They will most likely be located near salad dressings, with the salad toppings. There are lots of different flavor varieties and I usually keep a bag in the pantry to pair with any soup I’m eating. However, if you’re looking for a super authentic version, then making your own tortilla strips is the way to go.
To make homemade tortilla strips, simply cut 4 or 5 store-bought corn tortillas into thin strips and fry them in some oil. Once they get crispy, place them on a paper towel to drain off any excess oil and season with salt. That’s it!
Here’s a great recipe for baked tortilla strips, if you’re looking to avoid extra oil.
We love this dish paired with tortilla chips, crackers, crusty bread or Mexican Cornbread. It’s seriously the BEST cornbread you’ll ever taste and a must try whether you serve it with this soup or a different recipe.
To keep things on the lighter side, try this with a fresh, green salad. Simply toss mixed greens with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Feel free to add toppings to your salad such as red onion, cherry tomatoes, and/or croutons. Better yet, serve this tortilla soup alongside my tasty Southwest Salad with Avocado Dressing for the perfect soup/salad meal. You can easily omit the chicken from the salad, since this soup has plenty of chicken.
Frequently asked questions
Is creamy chicken tortilla soup healthy?
In my opinion, I think this recipe is pretty good for you. Healthy is subjective and means something different to everyone, but it’s packed with nutritious ingredients. We’ve got veggies, fiber-rich beans, and high protein chicken, so it is a balanced meal. And for one big bowl the calories and fat are really great!
However, if you really want a healthy version of chicken tortilla soup, check out our Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe. It’s a reader favorite!
Can I make this in the slow cooker?
This creamy soup totally works in the slow cooker! Simply add all ingredients to the crockpot. Since the chicken is already cooked and you are basically just heating everything up, the soup will only need to slow cook for 3-4 hours on low. Once cooked, ladle into bowls and top with all your favorites.
This is a great recipe to meal prep on the weekend, and then simply reheat throughout the week for easy lunches and dinners. Store leftover soup in an airtight container. It keeps well in the refrigerator for up to 4 or 5 days. I have not tried freezing this soup and since it includes half-and-half or cream, I don’t think freezing it would work very well.
Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup is one of my family’s favorite soups ever! Trust me, everyone will LOVE this flavorful soup and it’s SO easy too!
If you try this, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (32 ounce) box chicken broth
- 2 cups (1 pint) half-and-half
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup prepared salsa, mild or spicy depending on preference
- 3-4 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 packet fajita or taco seasoning, mild or spicy depending on preference
Optional for serving:
- Tortilla chips or strips
- Grated cheese
- Sour cream
- Sliced avocado
- Fresh cilantro
- Heat the butter or oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and the onion and sauté until softened, 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir well, cooking for 1 minute more. Add the broth and the half-and-half. Stir in the cream of chicken soup, salsa, chicken, beans, corn, cumin and fajita seasoning.
- Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Ladle soup into individual bowls and top with crumbled tortilla chips or strips. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and add any other optional toppings. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @kimscravings on Instagram and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy and delicious recipes straight to your inbox!
This post was originally published January 2020. It was updated with new content and republished September 2022.
can I make it really creamy with cream cheese?
I’ve never mixed in cream cheese, only heavy cream, but I think it would be great with some added cream cheese.
Love Love Love this recipe! How big would you say a serving is? I am trying to gauge carbs for a diabetic. Thank you!
So happy to hear! If I remember right, it’s a about 1 1/2 cups per serving.
This soup is delicious!! My favorite chicken tortilla recipe to use. I have frozen it, double bagged, and it tasted just as good as it did the first time it was made!🥰
Yay! That makes me so happy to hear and thanks so much for the feedback on freezing.
This soup is SO good! My whole family gobbled it up and I’ll definitely make again soon!
So quick and easy to throw together! This is the perfect tortilla soup, I also added a small can of fire roasted chiles and a can of Rotel. We paired your Mexican corn bread with this for a delicious lunch and leftovers for the next couple days, thank you for posting!!
My FAVORITE tortilla soup!! I’m such a fan of creamy soups, and this one fits the bill! I’ve made it several times now and will continue to (even in the summer 😝). The topping choices are endless, and it’s so filling!!
This is one of my family’s favorites too! So happy you loved!
Great , Kick Ass Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe,
Nice Work Kim! Chef Dennis
Yay! Thanks so much for your comment, Chef Dennis!
Yum! Loved this soup! Added an entire jar of salsa and shredded Mexican cheese.
My grandson requests it all the time. Great recipe i leave the cumen out
My son too!
This recipe is so amazing!! I make my own salsa and taco seasoning and also add 2 cans of diced tomatoes. It’s a huge hit in my house!! Thank you so much!!
I can’t wait to make this next week! When making in the crock pot, do you still add the flour? Stovetop it’s to thicken a roux it looks like? I don’t want to mess this up because it sounds delicious!!
It’s so good! I think it would be fine either way.
Do you know what a serving size is?
I’m sorry, I don’t.
As much as you want lol
I’m so excited to make this! If I put this in the crockpot, do I add the half and half at the beginning? Or wait until everything is cooked? Thanks!
I would stir it in at the end. Enjoy!
New favorite recipe! This soup was delicious and so easy to make. I’m going to be making this all the time now
So happy you enjoyed!! Thanks so much for your comment!!
Because I’m a total klutz at cooking- if I make this in the crockpot, would I still need to sauté the onions, garlic, etc first, or does it literally all get thrown into the crockpot together?
You don’t have to sauté first. It will all get broken down in the crockpot. Enjoy!
Yum! This was so good! I made this in my instant pot. I put one can of white northern beans and 1 can of diced tomatoes instead of the two cans of the other beans. I used chili lime chicken that my husband grilled last weekend. I also put in 1 TBLS of lime juice at the end of the cooking process. My husband and I can’t wait for the leftovers tonight!
Yum! Your version sounds amazing! So glad you enjoyed and thanks for the comment.
I made this in the instant pot tonight and it tasted Ah-mazing! Thank you for the recipe!
Yay! So glad you enjoyed!
I’ve made this several times now and it’s one soup my whole family thoroughly enjoys! Thanks for such a tasty recipe!
I made this recipe last night and WOW. I used rotisserie chicken as suggested and it had so much flavor. I also used spicy fajita seasoning because we like spicy. Results were phenomenal. I agree the fresh toppings make alllll the difference (we used cheddar, tortilla chips, sour cream, cilantro). Thanks for a great recipe we’ll be making all winter!!
We loved this soup! So easy with so much delicious flavor!
I’m making it tomorrow. Grandson requested. I’ve made it several times
Yay! That makes me so happy to hear. My son is a big fan too… he made it yesterday. 🙂
This soup is insanely good! I topped it with lots of cheese and crushed tortilla chips and it was so comforting. This is definitely a new go-to soup for me!
Just made this today and it turned out great! My husband said it’s the best tortilla soup I’ve made. Sooo good!
Amazing! I have been on the hunt for a good creamy tortilla soup and this looks like a winner! Can’t wait to try it!
I love creamy soups. This creamy tortilla soup is WAY better than the classic. Love it.
There is nothing we love better than a good hearty soup with a southwestern flair!
Sounds amazing! Is there any way to make this dairy-free? Would love to try it using cashew cream or a neutral tasting nut milk!
I think almond milk would work just fine!
Delicious and filling this soup will become our go to staple recipe from now on!