Chocolate Chip Banana Pancake Muffins
Fluffy and delicious Chocolate Chip Banana Pancake Muffins are easy to make with wholesome ingredients like Kodiak Cakes pancake mix, almond milk and bananas. They’re perfect for a quick breakfast or snack on-the-go!
These Chocolate Chip Banana Pancake Muffins are an easy, one-bowl recipe that have quickly become a regular part of my breakfast rotation! They are incredibly moist, but contain no butter or oil; plus they have the most lovely banana and chocolate flavor. These are a big hit with the entire family, even the pickiest kids love them!
With the additional protein from the Kodiak Cakes Power Cakes Pancake Mix, these make a great pre or post-workout snack. We also love them for breakfast with a little yogurt or scrambled eggs, bacon and fruit.
I only had Hungry Jack complete pancake mix on hand. I had everything else. They still turned out delicious! Thanks! Satisfied my craving!— Jacqueline
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Quick and easy to make. You don’t need any fancy kitchen appliance to whip these up. This recipe is all done by hand and only takes about 10 minutes to prepare and about 25 minutes to bake.
- Simple ingredients. These are made with simple, basic baking ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen. Plus, I love that they’re a great way to make use of overripe bananas!
- Super moist and flavorful. These are tender and moist with the best flavor! The banana/chocolate combination is one of my favorites and the flavors really shine through in this recipe.
- Can be made ahead of time and freeze well. You can make these the night before and wake up to a delicious on-the-go breakfast. They last for 2-3 days stored in an airtight container at room temperature or up to 5 days stored in the fridge. They also freeze really well – great for meal prep!
Pancakes and muffins are two favorite breakfast treats and with these pancake muffins, you can have both! Here’s everything you’ll need to bake them:
- Pancake mix. Use any pancake mix you like best. We used Kodiak Cakes Power Cakes Mix (buttermilk variety), to pack an extra protein punch.
- Milk. This recipe calls for unsweetened vanilla almond milk, but feel free to use any milk variety that you have in the fridge.
- Egg. You’ll need one large egg to help with binding, provide structure and ensure these bake properly.
- Sugar. We like coconut sugar or brown sugar in this recipe.
- Bananas. Make sure you use EXTRA ripe bananas (you know the bananas with brown spots all over them). Using ripe bananas helps to sweeten the muffins, since there’s very little added sugar in this recipe.
- Baking staples. There’s already baking soda and sea salt in the Kodiak pancake mix, so you won’t need that or baking powder. Just add in 1 tsp ground cinnamon and vanilla extract for extra flavor.
- Chocolate chips. Feel free to use any chocolate chips that you like, but I do recommend mini chips for better dispersion, so there is chocolate in every bite. Be sure to sprinkle the tops with some extras before baking!
How to make this recipe
This is one of the easiest muffin recipes because everything gets mixed in one bowl. Grab your muffin pan and let’s get to baking! Here’s the simple process:
- Prep. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 12 muffin cups with cooking spray or line muffin cups with muffin liners and set aside. I prefer not using liners for this recipe because they tend to stick to the muffins.
- Stir together all ingredients. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and blend with a large spoon or whisk until smooth.
- Transfer batter to muffin tin. Fill 12 muffin cups evenly with pancake batter. They will be close to full.
- Bake. Place in the oven and bake at 350 degrees F. for about 25 minutes and until tops are golden brown. I didn’t use muffin liners and removed my muffins immediately from the muffin pan (after cooked) to cool on a wire rack. We love these with a little smear of peanut butter or almond butter Or maybe even a drizzle of maple syrup!
These homemade banana muffins are really very easy to make, but here are a few tips to make sure they are perfect every time!
- Use extra ripe bananas. For the perfect amount of sweetness use bananas that are very ripe. The more brown spots the better! You can ripen them quickly by wrapping them in foil (with the peel still on) and popping them in a 350°F oven for 10-15 mins.
- Mashing bananas. All you have to do is place the peeled bananas in a mixing bowl or shallow bowl and mash with a fork. You could also use a potato masher.
- Do not over bake. Ovens can vary so be sure to check these a few minutes before they should be done. They are done baking when you insert a toothpick into a muffin and it comes out clean or with just a few moist crumbs.
Frequently asked questions
Pancake mix is really versatile and can be used to make everything from pancakes and waffles to muffins and cinnamon rolls. Check out this site for lots of pancake mix ideas.
The difference between muffin mix and pancake mix is that pancakes call for more liquid and muffins call for more sugar, fat and baking powder. In this recipe, we are not following the box of pancake mix instructions, instead we’re adding our own unique combination of ingredients.
Due to the mashed bananas, milk and ratio of ingredients, these muffins are plenty moist. According to Bob’s Red Mill, to ensure your muffins are perfectly moist and tender, don’t overwork the batter when mixing, don’t overfill cups and don’t overcook.
Customize this recipe
There are so many different ways to add new flavors to these! Here are a few of my favorite ideas:
- Chocolate. We love these with mini chocolate chips, but they would also be great with dark chocolate chips or even peanut butter chips.
- Berries. Instead or in addition to chocolate chips, you can add about 1/2 to 1 cup blueberries or diced strawberries into the batter for amazing fruity flavor.
- Mix-ins. Make these your own by stirring in other ingredients such as chopped pecans, walnuts, toasted coconut, dried fruit, coconut extract or almond extract.
- Streusel topping. Try a sweet streusel topping by mixing together 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 cup melted butter. Sprinkle the streusel over the tops, then bake as directed.
- Mini muffins. To make these into mini muffins, use a mini muffin tin and bake 12-14 total minutes at 350°F.
- Storing leftovers. Store leftovers for 2-3 days in an airtight container at room temperature or up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
- To freeze. Simply place individually in freezer-safe bags or store several in a large freezer bag. When you’re ready to enjoy, reheat for 30-45 seconds in the microwave or simply thaw them at room temperature.
More muffin recipes to try
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Chocolate Chip Banana Pancake Muffins
- 2 cups pancake mix, I used Kodiak Cakes Power Cakes mix
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, any milk will work
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (the riper the banana, the sweeter the muffin)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, optional, but recommended
- Grab all of the ingredients. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 12 muffin cups or line muffin cups with muffin liners and set aside. I prefer not using liners for this recipe because they tend to stick to the muffins.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and blend until smooth.
- Fill 12 muffin cups evenly. They will be close to full.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for about 25 minutes and until tops are golden brown. I didn’t use muffin liners and removed my muffins immediately from the muffin pan (after cooked) to cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @kimscravings on Instagram and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy and delicious recipes straight to your inbox!
great recipe was looking for something different besides pancakes decided to do chocolate chip banana pancake I came across your recipe. kids love them my son says it’s a little taste of Heaven
Awww… love it!
These were so good!
These muffins are delish! So soft & flavorful!
Yum!! Made as written. Delicious and perfect muffins. My kids gobbled them up. Made half with nuts and half for kids without topped with mini choc chips. Soft, perfectly sweet, and easy to whip up. 10/10 will make again.
These muffins are amazing! I left out the chocolate chips and added 1/2 cup walnuts and they tasted great. New fave muffin recipe.
So glad you enjoyed!
Could you make this as a bread instead of muffins? How would you change the recipe! I’m interested in trying it!
I haven’t tried it, but I think it would work just fine. Just increase the bake time to about 50-55 minutes, or until loaf is golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Let us know how it works out!
These are so good! I used the ALDI brand gluten free pancake mix and added an extra egg. I’m going to try them again with blueberries today!
Love hearing that! So glad you’re enjoying these and I love the idea of using blueberries!
I was looking for a good recipe for muffins, I looked at the Kodiak site and almost decided to adapt my recipe to theirs until I ran across this. I’m going to use the dark chocolate mix instead, I’ll let you know how it goes!
Hope you love them as much as I do!
I only had Hungry jack complete pancake mix on hand. I had everything else. They still turned out Delicious!
Satisfied my craving:)
That is so awesome to hear! Thanks so much for your comment!