Healthy Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
Healthy double chocolate banana muffins made with whole wheat flour and no butter or refined sugars. They’re naturally sweetened with banana and honey or maple syrup for an insanely delicious, perfectly moist double chocolate muffin! This easy recipe truly surpassed my expectations – these muffins baked up tender, fudgy and bursting with chocolate flavor!
chocolate banana muffins recipe
Muffins are one of my favorite snack and breakfast options and my latest obsession are these fabulous banana chocolate muffins. They are SO good!
And I know there’s about a thousand chocolate banana muffin recipes all over the internet but this is a foolproof recipe for the best, most moist, incredibly delicious double chocolate muffins you will ever find.
They take just minutes to make, and have plenty of chocolatey banana flavor to please both kids and adults. Once you try this chocolate banana muffin recipe, you’ll never want to make another chocolate banana muffin! Give them a try and I know you’ll be crazy about them too!
why these chocolate banana muffins are so great
This is one of my go-to muffin recipes and my kids request that I make them very often. Here’s several reasons why they’re wonderful:
- Quick and easy to make. You don’t need any fancy kitchen appliance to whip up these muffins. This recipe is all done by hand and only takes about 10 minutes to prepare and about 17 minutes to bake. So in less than 30 minutes you can have freshly baked double chocolate muffins. Yes, please!
- Simple ingredients. These muffins are made with simple, basic baking ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen. Plus, I love that they’re a great way to make use of overripe bananas, on your counter, begging to be eaten!
- Super moist with wonderful flavor. These muffins are super soft and moist because they are made with 3 whole bananas! The banana/chocolate combination is one of my favorites and the flavors really shine through in these muffins.
- Can be made in advance and freeze well. You can make this muffin recipe the night before and wake up to some delicious muffins. They last for 2-3 days stored in an airtight container at room temperature or up to 5 days stored in the fridge. They also freeze beautifully! I love to meal prep these on Sunday and enjoy them throughout the week.
ingredients for chocolate banana muffins
These chocolate banana muffins are made with simple, wholesome ingredients to give them a soft, tender crumb. They get the perfect sweet flavor from honey or maple syrup, ripe bananas and chocolate chips. Here are all of the ingredients you’ll need:
- Bananas. This recipe is a great way to use up over-ripened bananas! For sweeter banana muffins, make sure that your bananas are ripe with brown spots. Pro tip: If your bananas aren’t quite ripe enough, you can ripen them quickly by wrapping them in foil and popping them in the oven at 350°F for 10-15 mins!
- Honey. I love using all natural sweeteners in baking. Honey or pure maple syrup will work in this recipe.
- Egg. You’ll need one egg to help with binding, give the muffins structure and ensure they bake up properly.
- Coconut oil. We’re adding just a bit of coconut oil to add moisture to the muffins.
- Vanilla extract. For extra delicious flavor.
- Whole wheat pastry flour. My favorite wheat flour to use. You can’t even tell these muffins are whole-grain! You can also use a gluten free all purpose flour or regular all purpose flour.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder. I really like using this cocoa powder to really boost the chocolate flavor in recipes. If you want a more nutritious alternative, you can try cacao powder.
- Baking essentials. We’re using baking powder, baking soda and salt to ensure these muffins bake up with the perfect rise and texture.
- Cornstarch. This is an optional ingredient, but it will soften the harsh proteins in the flour to make for a more tender muffin.
- Chocolate chips. Feel free to use any chocolate chips that you like, but I do recommend some mini chocolate chips for better dispersion, so there is chocolate in every bite. Don’t forget to sprinkle the tops of the muffins with some extras before baking!
how to make healthy chocolate muffins
Like most muffin recipes, these are very easy to whip up and you’ll only need to dirty one bowl! Get out a muffin pan and spray it with cooking spray or line it with parchment paper muffin liners. Now, let’s bake some yummy muffins!
- Start the batter by stirring together the wet ingredients – mashed bananas, honey (or maple syrup), egg, coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients. Mix the combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cornstarch (if using) and salt with the wet ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips. Mix gently to combine, but don’t over mix. Then, fill prepared muffin cavities with batter and add a few extra chocolate chips to the tops.
- Bake muffins. Start muffins baking at 425ºF for 5 minutes. Then, reduce the oven temperature to 350ºF and bake for 13-15 minutes. Muffins are finished baking when a toothpick inserted comes out clean or with just a few moist crumbs.
- Allow muffins to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. I love to enjoy these with a smear of peanut butter!
how to get muffin to rise
These muffins will rise beautifully, thanks to a new trick I recently learned. We’ll start the muffins baking at a high temperature of 425ºF. That bit of high heat will help the tops of the muffin rise up. Then we’ll reduce the oven temperature to 350ºF and cook the center of the muffin. Such a simple trick that makes such a difference to the appearance of these yummy chocolate banana muffins.
tips for the best chocolate banana muffins
These muffins are really very easy to make, but here are a few tips to make sure they are perfect every time!
- Room temperature ingredients. When baking, it’s best to start with ingredients that are at room temperature. This helps everything mix together evenly without having to over mix the batter.
- Use extra ripe bananas. For the perfect amount of sweetness use bananas that are very ripe. The more brown spots the better! See above for my trick to ripen bananas in just 10 minutes.
- Measure the flour correctly. Too much flour can cause muffins to be dry and crumbly. Whisk the flour first, then spoon it into a dry measuring cup and level off the top (without shaking the measuring cup).
- Do NOT over mix batter. Stir the wet and dry ingredients together by gently folding them with a large spoon or spatula. Do not use a whisk. Over mixing the batter can produce tough muffins.
- Do not bake the muffins for too long. The muffins are done baking when you insert a toothpick into a muffin and it comes out clean or with just a few moist crumbs.
chocolate banana muffin variations
There are so many different ways to add new flavors to these muffins! Here are a few of my favorite ideas:
- Chocolate. Feel free to add different types of chocolate to these muffins from white chocolate to dark chocolate. You can even use different flavored baking chips – butterscotch or peanut butter would be great options.
- Fruit. You can add about 1/2 cup diced strawberries or raspberries into the batter for incredible fruity flavor.
- Add-ins. Customize these muffins by stirring in other ingredients such as chopped nuts, toasted coconut, coconut extract or almond extract.
- Streusel topping. Try a delicious streusel topping for your muffins by mixing together 1/2 cup flour, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder and 1/4 cup melted butter. Sprinkle the streusel and a few extra mini chocolate chips over the top of your muffins, then bake as directed.
I absolutely love the melty pockets of chocolate chips, the soft and tender chocolatey crumb, and the nice and chewy crusty top of the muffins. These muffins are pure chocolate heaven. Not only do they have a wonderful flavor and great texture, they bake up so perfectly every time! They are SO good you will want them not just for breakfast, but for snack and dessert too!
Double chocolate banana muffins taste excellent straight out of the oven, but we love them even more the next day after the flavors have a chance to settle and marry. So, these are perfect for meal prepping ahead of time!
- To store. Let the muffins cool completely on a wire rack before placing them in a storage container. Next, line the bottom of an airtight storage container with a paper towel and place the muffins in a single layer on the paper towel. Finally, top your muffins with another paper towel to absorb the excess moisture. Store at room temperature for up to about 2 to 3 days in an airtight container. If you need to store the muffins for a longer period of time, I’d recommend keeping them in the fridge or the freezer. You can microwave refrigerated muffins for about 10-15 seconds to make them taste like they were freshly baked.
- To freeze. These muffins, like most, freeze beautifully! Individually wrap the chocolate banana muffins in plastic, then place them in a resealable bag and freeze them for up to 3 months. Let them thaw at room temperature or rewarm gently in the microwave when you’re ready to enjoy.
recommended tools for baking chocolate banana muffins
Here’s a few of my muffin-baking essentials:
Mixing bowls – Any mixing bowls will do the trick. I love this stainless steel, nonslip mixing bowl set from Target.
Nonstick muffin pan – This is where quality matters! I was given this muffin pan from Williams Sonoma and LOVE it. I don’t have to use paper liners and my muffins always come out so easily. As an added plus, there’s never cooked muffin left stuck to the pan, so it’s super easy to clean.
Cooling rack – I wouldn’t say a cooling rack is completely necessary, but it’s definitely nice to have one available. These allow for airflow and even cooling of your baked goods.
more favorite muffin recipes
If you try this double chocolate banana muffin recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Healthy Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 3 large very ripe bananas (lots of brown spots are best), about 1 3/4 cups, mashed or blended in blender
- 1/4 cup honey*
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted**
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour***
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch****
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips + 3 tablespoons more for topping
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (optional for additional chocolatey goodness)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare a muffin pan with cooking spray or line it with parchment paper muffin liners. I like to use a silicone muffin pan and then there's no need to spray it or use muffin liners. I also like to dust the muffin pan cavities with a little cocoa powder.
- Mix wet ingredients together until well combined: ripe mashed bananas, honey, egg, oil and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cornstarch and salt. Mix until just combined. Over-mixing will result in denser muffins. Stir in chocolate chips. I used 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (Trader Joe's) and an additional 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (Enjoy Life).
- Pour batter into muffin cups (about a heaping 1/4 cup batter per muffin) and sprinkle additional 3 or 4 regular-sized chocolate chips over the tops of the muffins.
- Bake muffins for 5 minutes at 425 degrees F. and then with muffins staying in the oven, reduce heat to 350 degrees F. and bake muffins for 13-15 minutes more. The high heat will cause muffins to rise and then you will lower heat to cook the center of the muffin.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
This healthy double chocolate banana muffins recipe was originally published March 2019. It was republished March 2021 with new content and updated photos.