Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Delicious Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup is a tasty combination of chicken, beans, tomatoes, and plenty of spices. Top it all off with tortilla strips and other favorite Mexican soup toppings, like sliced avocado and fresh cilantro. This easy, hearty chicken tortilla soup recipe is perfect for winter meals and can easily be made on the stovetop or in a pressure cooker too!
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Chicken tortilla soup is probably my very favorite soup recipe! My family loves soup and it’s a meal I serve often, especially in the fall and winter. When October hits and the weather turns a little cooler, soup is a frequent meal on our weekly menu. A warm bowl of this tortilla soup in the fall and winter is just the best. Some of my go-to recipes are taco soup, butternut squash soup and this flavorful slow cooker chicken tortilla soup. Take just a little bit of time and load up the slow cooker, let it do its thing, and dinner will be ready-to-go whenever you’re hungry!
Ingredients in Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
One of the best things about this version of Chicken Tortilla Soup Crock Pot is that it’s completely versatile. I’ve listed my favorite ingredients below, but feel free to substitute or completely leave out any ingredient to suite your family’s taste preference.
- Chicken breasts. For this chicken tortilla soup recipe, I typically use boneless, skinless chicken breast. Boneless, skinless chicken thighs are also a great option because they have tons of flavor and stay really juicy. Bone-in chicken thighs will work too, you’ll just need to get rid of the bones when shredding the chicken. When I have the extra time, I like to brown the chicken in the skillet before adding it to the slow cooker for even more flavor. Another option is to use rotisserie chicken to make rotisserie chicken tortilla soup, which already has tons of great taste.
- Onion. A must for most any soup recipe!
- Canned diced tomatoes. Fire-roasted tomatoes are my go-to for this easy Mexican chicken tortilla soup because they’re much more flavorful. If you don’t have diced tomatoes available, use canned crushed tomatoes.
- Canned black beans. The addition of beans in tortilla soup makes it super satisfying and hearty.
- Sweet corn. Feel free to use canned, frozen or fresh corn.
- Canned green chiles. This gives the Mexican tortilla soup the perfect amount of kick without being overly spicy.
- Spices. We’re using a delicious blend of chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Chicken broth. I recommend using a low-sodium chicken broth because then you can control the amount of salt in the soup.
- Toppings. The best part is the toppings! Load up your soup with tortilla strips, cilantro, lime, cheese, sour cream, avocado and whatever else you fancy!
How Do You Make Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup?
This delish chicken tortilla soup could not be easier! Simply add everything to the slow cooker and go on about your day! When dinnertime comes, remove and shred the chicken, then return it back to the slow cooker. Serve and top it off with all of your favorite toppings.
How Do You Make Chicken Tortilla Soup On The Stovetop?
This tortilla soup can easily be adapted for the stovetop. Start by sautéing the onion in a large soup pot and cook thawed chicken breasts in a large skillet. Cool chicken slightly and shred. Then, add in ingredients, including shredded chicken into the soup pot with the onion. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 20-30 minutes and until all ingredients are warmed through. Serve with all your favorite toppings.
This soup is also great to make with rotisserie chicken. You won’t have to worry about cooking the chicken and you can add all ingredients in the soup pot with the cooked onion. Rotisserie chicken tortilla soup is great choice because it’s so easy and has a wonderful flavor!
How Do You Make Chicken Tortilla Soup In A Pressure Cooker?
Yes, this easy tortilla soup totally works in the Instant Pot! If you’d like to make this soup in an Instant Pot, sauté onion for about 5 minutes. Add all other ingredients, stir and cancel sauté. Make sure the lid is on “sealing”. Cook on high for about 8 minutes. It can take 10-15 minutes for it to get up to pressure. When cooking is complete, be careful of any possible splattering and do a quick pressure release. Remove the chicken and shred it with two forks. Stir the chicken back into the soup and serve.
Tips For Making Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup:
This is seriously the best chicken tortilla soup and it comes together with very little effort, but here are few tips to consider.
- If you don’t have too much time in the morning, you can prep all of the ingredients the night before.
- Most any bean variety will work for this soup or you can leave them out. I’ve used pinto and red kidney beans.
- Fresh, canned or frozen corn will work.
- Crock pot chicken tortilla soup is great to meal prep on the weekend, and then simply reheat throughout the week for easy lunches and dinners.
How to Serve Your Chicken Tortilla Soup:
Serve this soup with a variety of Mexican ingredients. Tortilla strips (or chips) are a must. You can make your own or use store-bought. I usually find these with the salad toppers, near the dressings and sometimes also in the produce department. When I serve tortilla soup, I like to put out an assortment of toppings so that everyone can use their favorites. Some great options are:
- Avocado slices or guacamole
- Lime juice
- Pico de gallo
- Black olives
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
How Long Does Chicken Tortilla Soup Last?
Meal prep is a breeze with this soup recipe and it will keep well in the refrigerator for up to 4 or 5 days. Tortilla soup even freezes well. For freezing, once completely cooled place it in freezer safe containers or resealable gallon-sized freezer bags. It can be frozen for up to 3 months. To thaw, transfer the soup to the fridge and store overnight. When ready to serve, reheat it on medium heat on the stovetop. Serve with your favorite toppings.
Give this tortilla soup recipe a try and you’ll be craving it all season long. So easy to throw together and so super tasty! Your family is sure to gobble this one up!
Try These Other Favorite Soup Recipes:
If you try this crockpot tortilla soup recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves this recipe as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts*
- 1/2 cup white or yellow onion,, diced
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, (not drained)
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans,, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz.) can corn,, drained (or about 1 cup frozen or fresh corn)
- 1 (4.5 oz.) can green chiles
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt,, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5-6 cups chicken broth or stock, depending on how much liquid you prefer in your soup, (I recommend low-sodium)
- Tortilla strips, avocado slices, fresh cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime juice and/or any other toppings you like
- Add all ingredients for the soup in your crockpot. Stir to combine. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
- When chicken is fully cooked, remove and shred with two forks. Then, return back to the crockpot.
- Serve and enjoy with all of your favorite toppings!
This post was originally published October 2019. It was republished October 2020 with new content.