Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Delicious Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup is a tasty combination of chicken, beans, tomatoes, and plenty of spices. Top it all off with tortilla strips and other favorite Mexican soup toppings, like sliced avocado and fresh cilantro. This easy, hearty chicken tortilla soup recipe is perfect for winter meals and can easily be made on the stovetop or in a pressure cooker too!
Made this last night & it was excellent! My whole family loved it. I used chicken thighs simply because we like them & also added fire roasted jalapenos instead of green chilies for some kick. Will definitely make again!— Jas
Chicken tortilla soup is probably my very favorite soup recipe! My family loves soup and it’s a meal I serve often, especially in the fall and winter. When October hits and the weather turns a little cooler, soup is a frequent meal on our weekly menu. A warm bowl of this crockpot tortilla soup in the fall and winter is just the best. Take just a little bit of time and load up the slow cooker, let it do its thing, and dinner will be ready-to-go whenever you’re hungry!
Why you should make this recipe
- Simple, wholesome ingredients
- Easy, effortless recipe
- Cozy, comforting soup with amazing flavor
- Includes instructions for slow cooker, stovetop or pressure cooker
- Stovetop method can be ready in just about 30 minutes
One of the best things about this version of slow cooker chicken tortilla soup is that it’s completely versatile. I’ve listed my favorite ingredients below, but feel free to substitute or completely leave out any ingredient to suite your family’s taste preference. Here’s the lineup:
- Chicken breasts. We typically use boneless, skinless chicken breast in this recipe. Boneless, skinless chicken thighs are also a great option because they have tons of flavor and stay really juicy. Bone-in chicken thighs will work too, you’ll just need to get rid of the bones when shredding the chicken. Another option is to use rotisserie chicken, which already has tons of great taste.
- Onion. A must for most any soup recipe! If you’d like, add in some minced garlic too.
- Canned diced tomatoes. Fire-roasted tomatoes are my go-to for Mexican recipes because they’re much more flavorful. Canned crushed tomatoes also work fine.
- Canned black beans. The addition of beans in tortilla soup makes it super satisfying and hearty.
- Sweet corn. Feel free to use canned, frozen or fresh corn.
- Canned green chiles. Adds the perfect amount of kick without being overly spicy.
- Spices. We’re using a delicious blend of chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Chicken broth. I recommend using a low-sodium chicken broth, so you’re able to better control the amount of salt in the dish.
- Toppings. The best part! Load up your soup with tortilla strips, cilantro, lime, cheddar cheese, sour cream, avocado and whatever else you fancy!
How to make this recipe in the slow cooker
Making chicken tortilla soup in the crock pot could not be easier! Simply add everything to the slow cooker and go on about your day. When dinnertime comes, remove and shred the chicken, then return it back to the slow cooker. Serve and top it off with all of your favorite toppings.
This tortilla soup can easily be adapted for the stovetop. Start by sautéing the onion in a large soup pot and cook thawed chicken breasts in a large skillet. Cool chicken slightly and shred. Then, add in ingredients, including shredded chicken into the soup pot with the onion. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 20-30 minutes and until all ingredients are warmed through. Serve with all your favorite toppings.
This soup is also great to make with rotisserie chicken. You won’t have to worry about cooking the chicken and you can add all ingredients in the dutch oven with the cooked onion. Rotisserie chicken tortilla soup is great choice because it’s so easy and has a wonderful flavor!
Pressure cooker instructions
Yes, this easy tortilla soup totally works in the Instant Pot! If you’d like to use the Instant Pot to make this, sauté the onion for about 5 minutes. Add all other ingredients, stir and cancel sauté. Make sure the lid is on “sealing”. Cook on high for about 8 minutes. It can take 10-15 minutes for it to get up to pressure. When cooking is complete, be careful of any possible splattering and do a quick pressure release. Remove the chicken and shred it with two forks. Stir the chicken back into the soup and serve.
This is seriously the best chicken tortilla soup and it comes together with very little effort, but here are few tips to consider.
- Prep in advance. If you don’t have too much time in the morning, you can prep all of the ingredients the night before.
- Sear the chicken. When I have the extra time, I like to brown the outside of the chicken in the skillet before adding it to the slow cooker for even more flavor.
- Beans. Most any bean variety will work for this soup or you can leave them out. Aside from the black beans, we’ve used pinto and red kidney beans.
Frequently asked questions
This recipe is filled with shredded chicken, veggies, beans and zesty spices. It’s nutritious, hearty and flavorful!
Traditionally, chicken tortilla soup has a thin broth. However, if you like a thicker tortilla soup, use less broth or add a thickening agent like a roux, cornstarch, masa, or different types of flour like potato flour, tapioca flour or arrowroot flour.
The nutrition information will vary, depending on the exact recipe and specific ingredients used. this soup recipe has just over 160 calories per 1 cup of soup. It also has 12 grams of protein, 16.8 grams of carbs and only 1.8 grams of fat. This meal makes a healthy addition to your diet.
In my opinion, this particular version of chicken tortilla soup is really nutritious. Healthy is subjective and means something different to everyone, but it’s packed with good-for-you ingredients. We’ve got veggies, fiber-rich beans, and high protein, lean chicken breast, so it is a balanced meal. And for one big bowl, the calories and fat are really great! A couple of other healthy soup recipes that you’re sure to love is our Healthy Taco Soup and this Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe. They are both reader favorites!
Serve this soup with a variety of Mexican ingredients. We love this soup paired with Mexican Cornbread. It’s seriously the BEST cornbread you’ll ever taste and a must try whether you serve it with this soup or a different recipe. Tortilla strips (or tortilla chips) are a must. You can make homemade tortilla strips or use store-bought. I usually find these with the salad toppers, near the dressings and sometimes also in the produce department. When I serve tortilla soup, I like to put out an assortment of toppings so that everyone can use their favorites. Some great options are:
- Leftovers. Meal prep is a breeze with this soup recipe and it will keep well in the refrigerator for up to 4 or 5 days when properly stored in an airtight container.
- Freezing. To freeze, once completely cooled place soup in freezer safe containers or resealable gallon-sized freezer bags. It can be frozen for up to 3 months. To thaw, transfer the soup to the fridge and store overnight. When ready to serve, reheat it on medium heat on the stovetop. Serve with your favorite toppings.
Give this tortilla soup recipe a try and you’ll be craving it all season long. So easy to throw together and so super tasty! Your family is sure to gobble this one up!
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves this recipe as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts*
- 1/2 cup white or yellow onion, diced
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, (not drained)
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz.) can corn, drained (or about 1 cup frozen or fresh corn)
- 1 (4.5 oz.) can green chiles
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5-6 cups chicken broth or stock, depending on how much liquid you prefer in your soup, (I recommend low-sodium)
- Tortilla strips, avocado slices, fresh cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime juice and/or any other toppings you like
- Add all ingredients for the soup in your crockpot. Stir to combine. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
- When chicken is fully cooked, remove and shred with two forks. Then, return back to the crockpot. Serve and enjoy with all of your favorite toppings!