Reduced Guilt Spinach & Kale Greek Yogurt Dip
One of Trader Joe’s most popular snack items is the Reduced Guilt Spinach & Kale Greek Yogurt Dip, and if you’ve ever tasted it, you know why it’s so loved. The recipe is made with mostly Greek yogurt and vegetables, so there’s no need to feel guilty about polishing off an entire bowl of dip! It pairs perfectly with fresh-cut veggies, crackers or chips, and is great for parties and potlucks!
THANK YOU! THANK YOU for posting this!! OMG! I LOVE the Trader Joe’s version…. and this tasted exactly like it!!!! Thank you for creating this!— Caren
I’ve been a huge fan of Trader Joe’s Spinach & Kale Greek Yogurt Dip for years. It has the BEST flavor… once you start dipping, you just can’t stop! By taking a peek at the ingredient list on the back of the container, I compiled all of the necessary components of the dip. I couldn’t find any water chestnuts and I’m really not a fan, so I left those out. The Trader Joe’s version does include mayo and I added a small amount for extra creaminess. If you don’t care for mayo, just swap it out with additional Greek yogurt. It will still turn out delicious.
Pair this Greek yogurt dip with a colorful, crunchy veggie platter for the perfect appetizer! In my opinion, homemade yogurt dip paired with fresh-cut veggies and crackers is WAY better than anything you could find at your local grocery store. This is sure to be your new go-to veggie dip that can be mixed up quickly and easily! It’s perfect for family gatherings around the holidays, parties, BBQ’s, or everyday snacking at home. Let’s whip some up!
Ingredients and substitutions
This healthy Greek yogurt dip is super flavorful, yet it’s made with simple ingredients that are easy to find. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Greek yogurt. The base of this dip that adds creaminess, a nice tang and a boost of protein. You can sub some or all of the Greek yogurt with sour cream for a less tangy taste.
- Mayonnaise. Mayo balances out the tang of the Greek yogurt and adds even more creaminess.
- Honey. A tbsp adds just a hint of sweetness to balance out the yogurt and mayo.
- Veggies. We’re adding a whole cup of kale and cup of spinach to this dip, along with green onions, red bell pepper and carrot.
- Garlic. A must in a delicious, savory dressing, dip or sauce.
- Seasonings. A blend of salt, onion powder, garlic powder, garlic salt, dried dill weed, smoked paprika (or regular paprika) and black pepper give this dip amazing flavor.
Fresh herbs: If you’d like to use fresh dill instead of the tsp of dried dill, sub with about 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill. You could also add in a bit of chopped fresh parsley too.
How to make this dip recipe
You’re going to love how easy this vegetable dip is to whip up! Simply combine the Greek yogurt, mayonnaise and honey in a mixing bowl. Add in all other ingredients and stir well to combine. Then, chill (at least 30 minutes) until you’re ready to enjoy it. Serve your dip with an assortment of fresh-cut, raw veggies such as carrots, celery, grape tomatoes, broccoli, radishes, cucumber, cauliflower and sliced bell peppers. I also like to have crackers and chips available for dipping too.
- How long can this veggie dip sit out? Dips like this one shouldn’t be left out for more than 2 hours at room temperature. Because this dip contains dairy, you’ll want to serve it straight out of the fridge. If you go over the 2 hour mark, you can always cover it and put it back in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before letting people eat it again.
- Can you freeze this yogurt sauce? Typically Greek yogurt and mayo don’t freeze well and I would not recommend freezing it.
A few tips and tricks to make this creamy dip perfect every time you make it!
- Finely chop the veggies. For best results, it is important to be sure your veggies are finely chopped before adding them to the yogurt mixture. Who wants a chunk of kale in their dip?
- Low calorie. To make this dip lower in calories and fat, you can use low fat Greek yogurt and mayonnaise instead of the full fat varieties. It may not be quite as rich and creamy, but it will still be quite tasty.
- Serving a crowd? This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled, if you’re looking to serve this at a party.
- Make it a dressing. To make this dip a dressing, simply whisk in milk or buttermilk to reach desired consistency.
- Garnish. I like to top this dip with fresh herbs, like dill and chives for presentation, but that’s completely optional.
Besides wanting to dunk pretty much everything into this creamy dip, here are some amazing ways to use it:
- For raw vegetables. This creamy Greek yogurt veggie dip is fabulous with raw vegetables, like cauliflower florets, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, fresh snap peas and sliced bell pepper.
- As a spread. Slather this delicious dip on sandwiches, toast, wraps or burgers.
- As a salad dressing. Drizzle it on roasted veggies or a fresh salad.
Kept refrigerated, in an airtight container, this creamy veggie dip will last for about 5 days. I actually think this dip tastes better the day AFTER you make it. All the flavors really get a chance to meld and marry together. I normally make this dip the night before I plan to serve it.
This reduced guilt spinach & kale Greek yogurt dip is one of my favorite things to serve when I’m hosting! It’s SO tasty and it balances out all the desserts and heavy appetizers. You might just find everyone hanging out at the vegetable tray enjoying this creamy deliciousness!
If you try this dip recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Greek Yogurt Dip
- 2 cups (or 17 ounce container) plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup finely chopped kale
- 1 cup finely chopped spinach
- 4 green onions (green part only), finely chopped
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper, finely minced
- 1/4 cup carrot, finely minced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt + more to taste, as desired
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine the Greek yogurt, mayonnaise and honey in a large bowl. Add in all other ingredients stir well to combine.
- Refrigerate for a few hours before serving to allow flavors to meld. Serve with raw veggies, crackers or chips.