Grandma’s Clam Dip
Creamy, flavorful, and 100% addicting, my grandma’s clam dip will be the star of every party!! This is the perfect chip dip to serve for game day, holiday get togethers, or potlucks. Just be sure to make a double batch because this clam dip goes fast!
This clam dip recipe comes from my grandma and boy is it delicious! Almost too delicious… we can’t stay out of the stuff! It’s an easy blend of cream cheese, mayo, clams, and a few other ingredients that make for the MOST flavorful dip.
You can never go wrong with a creamy dip when you’re entertaining! My mom made this for my birthday celebration in August and then my sister’s in September and you better believe it will be making an appearance during the holidays. It doesn’t look like anything special, but after one taste you’ll totally get why I rave about this irresistible clam dip.
Ingredients Needed for Clam Dip
- Cream cheese. Soften to room temperature because you’re going to want to be able to stir this together with the other ingredients. You can always throw it in the microwave for about 30 seconds if you forget. Just be sure to remove the packaging first.
- Mayonnaise. A small amount enhances the flavor and creaminess.
- Clams. You don’t need to worry about using fresh clams for this dip. Use a can of minced clams. And be sure to reserve the liquid because you’ll be adding some of it into the dip.
- Lemon juice. Brightens and balances the flavor.
- Worcestershire sauce. The wonderful addition of Worcestershire gives this clam dip recipe incredible savory umami flavor.
- Green onions. Slice these nice and thin, so they stir into the dip easily. You can also add a sprinkling to the top of the dip for garnish.
- Tabasco sauce. You can use any hot sauce here. There really isn’t any spiciness to the flavor of this dip, the tabasco sauce just blends with the other ingredients to create the perfect taste.
- Garlic. For delicious flavor!
- Minced onion. You can find minced onion with other spices and seasonings at the grocery store.
- Salt & pepper. To taste!
How to Make Clam Dip
Clam dip is a simple blend of cream cheese, mayonnaise, minced clams from a can, sauces, dried and fresh herbs, spices and seasonings. Everything gets mixed together, then the dip is chilled until you’re ready to serve it. The flavor really intensifies after a few hours in the fridge, making this a great make-ahead recipe.
- The ingredients are easier to mix, if you start with room temperature cream cheese. If you forget to sit it out, you can pop it in the microwave for about 30 seconds to soften it. Just make sure to take it out of the foil packaging!
- Once you’ve mixed all of the ingredients for the clam dip together, be sure to taste test and adjust as needed. Tabasco sauce adds heat, lemon juice adds acidity, and salt enhances all the other flavors.
- This dip is even tastier if made in advance and the flavors have a chance to meld together. When you’re ready to serve, just give it a good stir.
- If you’re serving a crowd or making this dip for a party, I suggest making a double or triple batch because this dip really does go fast.
- Clam dip will stay fresh in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, but I promise it won’t last that long. 😉
Serving Clam Dip
Over the years, we’ve tried a variety of different crackers and chips paired with this dip. Trust me, a sturdy potato chip is the BEST pairing with clam dip. Alternately, you can serve the dip with fresh cut vegetables, pretzels, tortilla chips or any favorite crackers.
More Family Favorite Recipes from Grandma
If you try this clam dip recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Creamy, flavorful, and 100% addicting, my grandma's clam dip will be the star of every party!! This is the perfect chip dip to serve for game day, holiday get togethers, or potlucks. Just be sure to make a double batch because this clam dip goes fast!
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened*
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 (16.5 oz.) can minced clams, drained with juice reserved
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 green onions (white and green parts), finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1/2 tablespoon dried minced onion
- dash or two Tabasco sauce, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- potato chips for serving
In a medium bowl mash cream cheese with fork until soft and creamy. Add 1 tablespoon clam juice and all other ingredients. Stir until ingredients are completely combined.
Add more clam juice as needed for desired consistency. I add about 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon of the clam juice.
This dip is even tastier made ahead of time. Make up to about 8 hours before serving and store covered in the refrigerator. Serve with potato chips.
*If you forget to take the cream cheese out of the fridge to soften at room temperature, you can pop it in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Just make sure to take it out of the foil packaging!
Storing leftovers: Clam dip will stay fresh in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, but I promise it won't last that long.
Photos by Molly at Yes to Yolks.