Grandma’s Clam Dip
Creamy, flavorful, and 100% addicting, my grandma’s Clam Dip will be the star of every party!! This is the perfect appetizer to serve for game day, holiday get togethers, or potlucks. Just be sure to make a double batch because this chip dip goes fast!
This is a great clam dip recipe! I hadn’t had clam dip in years until I stumbled across this recipe. It was so good, I’ve already made it twice. It didn’t last long in this house!— Mike
This clam dip recipe comes from my grandma and boy is it delicious! Almost too delicious… we can’t stay out of the stuff! It’s an easy blend of cream cheese, mayo, clams, and a few other ingredients that make for the MOST flavorful dip.
You can never go wrong with a creamy dip when you’re entertaining! My mom made this for my birthday celebration in August and then my sister’s in September, and you better believe it will be making an appearance during the holidays. It doesn’t look like anything special, but after one taste you’ll totally get why I rave about this irresistible snack.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Quick and easy. This recipe is seriously so easy to put together. Ready in just about 20 minutes, including prep time.
- Make ahead. Clam dip tastes even better after the flavors have a chance to meld and marry in the fridge, making this a great appetizer to prepare in advance of a party or get together.
- Creamy and super tasty. The creaminess and texture of this will blow you away. It’s so flavorful and delicious, you will keep wanting more.
- Family-friendly. Everyone loves this! It is sure to be a crowd favorite!
This clam dip has so much flavor, yet it’s made with basic ingredients that are easy to find. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Cream cheese. Soften to room temperature because you’re going to want to be able to stir this together with the other ingredients. You can always throw it in the microwave for about 30 seconds, if you forget. Just be sure to remove the packaging first.
- Mayonnaise. A small amount of mayo enhances the flavor and creaminess.
- Clams. You don’t need to worry about using fresh clams. Use a can of minced clams. And be sure to reserve the liquid because you’ll be adding some of it into the dip.
- Lemon juice. Brightens and balances the flavor.
- Worcestershire sauce. The wonderful addition of Worcestershire gives this clam dip recipe incredible savory umami flavor.
- Green onions. Slice these nice and thin, so they stir into the dip easily. You can also add a sprinkling to the top of the dip for garnish.
- Tabasco sauce. You can use any hot sauce here. There really isn’t any spiciness to the flavor, the tabasco sauce just blends with the other ingredients to create the perfect taste.
- Garlic. For a delicious kick of flavor!
- Minced onion. You can find minced onion with other spices and seasonings at the grocery store.
- Salt & pepper. To taste!
How to make this recipe
Follow these simple steps to make the best clamp dip – no cooking required!
Printable recipe card below.
- Mix ingredients. In a medium bowl, mash cream cheese with a fork until soft and creamy. Add 1 tablespoon of clam juice and all other ingredients. Stir until everything is completely combined.
- Adjust for consistency. Add more reserved clam juice as needed for desired consistency. I add about 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon of the clam juice. Taste and add salt & pepper, as desired.
- Enjoy. Cover the mixing bowl tightly and refrigerate until ready to serve, or transfer to a serving dish and enjoy immediately with your favorite dippers (we like Ruffles potato chips best)! It’s even tastier made ahead of time and we love this served chilled. Make up to about 8 hours before serving and store covered in the fridge. You can garnish with chives, parsley or thinly sliced green onion.
A few tips and tricks to make this creamy dip the best!
- The ingredients are easier to mix, if you start with room temperature cream cheese. If you forget to sit it out, you can pop it in the microwave for about 30 seconds to soften it. Just make sure to take it out of the foil packaging!
- Once you’ve mixed all of the ingredients for the clam dip together, be sure to taste test and adjust as needed. Tabasco sauce adds heat, lemon juice adds acidity, and salt enhances all the other flavors.
- This dip is even tastier if made in advance and the flavors have a chance to meld together. When you’re ready to serve, just give it a good stir.
- If you’re serving a crowd or making this dip for a party, I suggest making a double or triple batch because this dip really does go fast.
Frequently asked questions
Clam dip is a dipping sauce and condiment prepared with clams, sour cream or cream cheese, and seasonings. Various additional ingredients can be used. It is usually served chilled, although it is sometimes served hot or at room temperature.
Clams are a popular shellfish that have a high nutritional density and are a great source of vitamins and minerals. To decrease the fat and calories in this recipe, you can make it with low fat cream cheese and mayo.
Canned clams are already cooked, so adding them to recipes is quick and easy.
Over the years, we’ve tried a variety of different crackers and chips paired with this dip. Trust me, a sturdy potato chip, like Ruffles with ridges, is the BEST pairing with clam dip. Alternately, you can serve the dip with fresh cut vegetables, pretzels, tortilla chips or any favorite crackers. Here’s some other options:
- Kettle chips
- Broccoli florets
- Baby carrots
- Ritz crackers
- Corn chips
- Saltine crackers
- Club crackers
- Leftovers. This will stay fresh in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, but I promise it won’t last that long. Give it a good stir when you’re ready to serve.
- Freezing. Freezing this recipe is not recommended as the cream cheese in the dip will change texture.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Grandma’s Clam Dip
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened*
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 (6.5 oz.) can minced clams, drained with juice reserved
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 green onions (white and green parts), finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1/2 tablespoon dried minced onion
- dash or two Tabasco sauce, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- potato chips for serving
- In a medium bowl mash cream cheese with fork until soft and creamy. Add 1 tablespoon clam juice and all other ingredients. Stir until ingredients are completely combined.
- Add more clam juice as needed for desired consistency. I add about 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon of the clam juice.
- This dip is even tastier made ahead of time. Make up to about 8 hours before serving and store covered in the refrigerator. Serve with potato chips.