Mexican Sour Cream Dip
This Mexican Sour Cream Dip is creamy, cheesy, zesty and totally addicting! It’s made with a blend of sour cream, tomatoes, green chiles, taco seasoning and cheddar cheese. Serve with tortilla chips or Fritos for the ultimate party snack.
I love a cheesy, cold and creamy chip dip, especially when I’m entertaining. I often serve fresh herb cream cheese dip, spinach dip and this amazingly delicious sour cream dip to my family and friends at parties, holiday gatherings and other fun occasions.
This easy-to-make dip recipe is one you’ll surely have on repeat once you get your first taste! It has mouthwatering Mexican flavors and a subtle kick of heat!
You may have seen a similar dip called “Boat Dip” on TikTok. The boat dip name comes from it being an on-the-go snack, since you simply just dump the ingredients, mix, and enjoy! In the TikTok video, you can see them enjoying it on their boat!
Boat or not, this taco flavored dip is a must make to enjoy anywhere – poolside, at cookouts, or just on a Saturday at home!
This Mexican sour cream dip recipe is made with just 5 common ingredients you probably have in your pantry, yet it’s super flavorful. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Sour cream. The base of this dip that adds creaminess and a nice tang to the dip. You can sub some or all of the sour cream with Greek yogurt, however the dip will take on a more tangier flavor.
- Rotel. Any canned mix of diced tomatoes and green chiles will work. We always use mild, but feel free to use medium for more heat.
- Green chiles. Use medium or mild green chiles for a little kick of heat and boost of flavor.
- Taco seasoning. Use any favorite taco seasoning. I like McCormick brand. If you’re sensitive to spice, be sure to choose mild.
- Sharp cheddar cheese. If you have the time, I recommend using freshly grated cheese for this recipe. The bags of pre-shredded cheese at the store are typically coated in anti-caking agents and preservatives.
Pro tip: Don’t have a packet of taco seasoning? Make it from scratch! Combine these spices:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of each: paprika and ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of each: garlic powder, oregano, onion powder, and crushed red pepper flakes.
How to make this chip dip
Let’s talk about how to make sour cream chip dip. It really couldn’t be easier! Here’s the simple method:
- Mix. Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Chill. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Enjoy! Garnish with diced green onions and chives, if you’d like, and serve with chips and/or crackers.
A few tips and tricks to make this creamy dip perfect every time you make it!
- Low calorie. To make this lower in calories and fat, you can use low fat sour cream. I’ve used both lite and full-fat sour cream and didn’t notice much of a difference in flavor or creaminess — either works great.
- Make it spicy. If you like a kick of heat, simply choose a spicier packet of taco seasoning, spicy green chilies or add in a chopped jalapeño. If you really like it hot, you can do all three!
- Garnish. If I’m serving this at a party, I like to top it with fresh herbs, like chives, parsley and/or cilantro for presentation, but that’s completely optional.
- Serving a crowd? This dip recipe can easily be doubled or tripled, if you’re looking to serve this at a party.
- Serving. Dips like this one shouldn’t be left out for more than 2 hours at room temperature. Because this contains dairy, you’ll want to serve it straight out of the fridge. If you go over the 2 hour mark, you can always cover it and put it back in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before letting people eat it again.
Frequently asked questions
With a creamy texture, the tang of Greek yogurt and the richness of cream, sour cream goes great with everything from nachos to dips, to baked potatoes and chili. It’s a versatile ingredient that pairs really well with hot, spicy foods and even cooling sweet ones.
This particular dip recipe is made with Tex-Mex ingredients and spices to give it incredible Mexican flavor. Aside from the sour cream, we’re using Rotel, green chilies, taco seasoning and cheese.
According to the Daisy Brand, sour cream should stay fresh for approximately two weeks after opening the container. By smelling, tasting, and looking at the appearance, you can use your best judgment to ensure the product’s freshness. Always give it a good stir before using.
This appetizer is perfect with literally everything. Here’s what I recommend:
- Tortilla chips
- Pita chips
- Raw veggies (carrot sticks, celery, or cucumber slices)
- Crusty bread or serve it in a bread bowl
- You could even scoop some onto a wrap or sandwich! YUM.
Place any leftover dip in an airtight container in the fridge. It will keep well for about 2 to 3 days. I actually think it tastes better the day AFTER you make it. All the flavors really get a chance to meld and marry together. I normally make it the night before I plan to serve it. Just give it a good stir before serving.
If you try this, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Mexican Sour Cream Dip
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel, NOT drained (any brand diced tomatoes and green chiles)
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- diced green onions or chives to garnish, optional
- Combine all ingredients in a large serving bowl. Cover and chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour (at least). Garnish if you'd like and serve cold with your choice of chips or crackers.