Easy Turkey Burgers
These easy turkey burgers are super juicy and packed with flavor! I honestly love these turkey burgers even more than beef burgers! Grab my tips for cooking these up on the grill or inside in a skillet. Either way, this turkey burger recipe is quick and delicious and you’re going to want to make these all of the time.
Made these burgers last night for dinner. Fantastic!! A+ recipe & will definitely make these again.— Beth
Lean ground turkey is my go-to protein source, it’s low in calories, high in protein and works well in so many recipes. My family’s favorite recipes that include ground turkey are easy healthy lasagna, turkey tacos, and these tasty turkey burgers.
After pizza, burgers are probably my favorite thing to eat. But I very rarely splurge on a beef burger, so when I’m craving a burger, but want one that’s on the lighter side, these turkey burgers are the ones I make. These burgers are seriously the best! They’re tender, juicy and loaded with amazing flavor. These are SO good, you won’t even miss the beef!
What’s summer without juicy burgers piled high with your favorite toppings? To make juicy turkey burgers you’ll need the following simple ingredients:
- Lean ground turkey: I recommend using 93% lean ground turkey or chicken so that it still has a bit of fat content to stay nice and juicy. The extra lean ground turkey will work, but your burgers may turn out drier and less tender.
- Flavor makers: We’re using a mix of onion, breadcrumbs, egg, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, Dijon mustard and salt & pepper to combine with the turkey. This mixture is what will give the burgers flavor, moisture and help hold them together.
- Hamburger buns: Feel free to use any hamburger buns you’d like (even gluten free). Another option is to wrap your burger in lettuce for a low carb option or you can serve them as a protein added to salad greens. I like Pepperidge Farm Bakery Classics Buns. Sometimes we go all out and use fluffy brioche buns. Yum!
- Toppings: Use any favorites – lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onions, cheese, avocado, mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup. And don’t forget the burger sauce for the ultimate burger experience!
How to make this recipe
The process of making turkey burgers is super quick and easy! You have two options for cooking your burgers – the grill method or the stovetop method. Here’s the simple process:
For the printable recipe, scroll down to the recipe card below.
- Make the burger patties: Add meat, diced onion, bread crumbs, egg, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, Dijon mustard and salt & pepper to a large bowl and combine. I use my hands to evenly disperse the ingredients. Do not over-mix the ingredients because you’ll run the risk of ending up with a tough burger. Form the mixture into 4 patties. Press your thumb into the center of each patty to create a divot, so that when they cook, they stay flat and don’t puff up.
- Cook the burgers: Preheat a griddle or pan on the stovetop or an outdoor grill. While that’s heating, you can be preparing toppings and such: slice tomatoes, tear lettuce, slice the red onion, etc. Cook the patties for about 4-6 minutes per side, until browned and internal temperature reaches 165ºF. For cheeseburgers, add slices of cheese after the burger has been flipped to the second side and after about 2-3 minutes. Top each patty with a slice of cheese, cover and cook about 1-2 minute(s).
- Enjoy! Serve on buns with your favorite toppings or in a salad.
Tips for recipe success
Here’s some tips for the best turkey burger recipe:
- Ground meat. For the juiciest turkey burgers, I recommend using 93% lean ground turkey, which is a mix of dark and white meat. The 99% lean ground turkey breast is more likely to make your burgers dry.
- Make ahead. You can make these turkey burger patties in advance. Prepare them and keep them covered in the refrigerator for up to about 6 hours before you plan to cook them.
- Be careful not too overcook your turkey burgers! This is what gives turkey burgers the reputation for being dry. Check your burgers with a meat thermometer. Once they reach 165ºF internally, remove them from the heat.
- Serve hot! Burgers just off the heat are always best, so have your toppings ready to go. I typically prep the toppings while the grill or grill pan is heating and as the burgers are cooking.
Tips for grilling burgers
These turkey burgers are fabulous on the grill! There’s nothing like the flavor of a burger cooked on the grill, but here are a few tips for the BEST grilled turkey burgers.
- Firm patties. If you don’t think your patties are firm enough for the grill, place them in the freezer for 10-15 minutes or cover and refrigerate for about an hour.
- Grill heat. Bring the heat of the grill up to about 450ºF. Cook burgers until the internal temperature is 165ºF.
- Clean grill. Make sure that your grill grates are clean and well oiled with vegetable oil or avocado oil, so that your burger doesn’t stick.
- Be patient. Let your burger cook for at least 4 minutes before flipping. If you flip your burger too early, it might fall apart.
One of my favorite things about making burgers is that you can easily customize them to your taste preferences and what you have on hand. Here’s some options:
- Stovetop burgers. If you can’t or don’t want to grill your burgers, try cooking them on the stove. Simply add 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil to a cast iron skillet or nonstick skillet or grill pan and place it over medium heat. Once your pan is hot, cook your burgers for 3-5 minutes per side until they’re no longer pink.
- Ground meat. Choose any favorite meat for these burgers. Aside from your turkey or chicken, there’s beef, lamb, pork or buffalo.
- Cheeseburger. I typically use cheddar or American cheese, but some other tasty options are pepper jack, Colby, blue cheese, Swiss or feta cheese.
- Toppings. The toppings are truly what makes the burger, right? Pick your favorite buns or use lettuce wraps, add some fresh produce like tomato, lettuce, red onion, avocado or even cilantro, or keep them simple with ketchup and mustard, secret sauce, or mayo.
When we enjoy turkey burgers, we love to have some delicious sides to complete the meal! Listed below are some of our favorites. Just don’t forget the potato chips or French fries and pickle!
- Best Coleslaw
- Mom’s Deviled Eggs
- Greek Chickpea Salad
- Green Bean Salad
- Greek Pasta Salad
- Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Best Potato Salad
Store any leftover turkey burgers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat them in the microwave or in a skillet.
To freeze: You can freeze the patties before or after cooking. I like to put wax or parchment paper in between the layers of patties, if stacking them. Freeze them for up to 3 months. To reheat, let them thaw in the fridge before reheating in the microwave or on the stovetop for a couple minutes on each side. To reheat directly from frozen, rewarm on the stovetop.
We’ll be making these delicious burgers for every cookout all summer long. Even my beef-loving kids and husband enjoy these!
If you try this healthy turkey burger recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
- 1 pound 93% lean ground turkey meat
- 1/2 medium onion, diced very fine
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 hamburger buns
- Optional toppings; such as lettuce, tomato, cheese, avocado, red onion, mayo, ketchup and/or mustard
- Place the ground turkey, onion, breadcrumbs, egg, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, Dijon, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine (I use my hands). Do not over-mix the ingredients because you’ll run the risk of ending up with a tough burger.
- Shape the turkey mixture into 4 patties. Press your thumb into the center of each patty to create a divot, so that when they cook, they stay flat and don’t puff up. Preheat an outdoor grill, indoor grill pan or skillet on the stove to medium-high heat.
- Cook burgers for 4-6 minutes per side, or until completely cooked through and when internal temperature of 165ºF is reached.
- Once fully cooked, place the burgers on the buns, add toppings as desired, then serve. Or serve in a salad.
- If you don’t think your patties are firm enough for the grill, place them in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Bring the heat of the grill up to about 450ºF. Cook burgers until the internal temperature is 165ºF.
- Make sure that your grill grates are clean and well oiled so that your burger doesn’t stick.
- Be patient and let your burger cook for at least 4 minutes before flipping. If you flip your burger too early, they might fall apart.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @kimscravings on Instagram and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy and delicious recipes straight to your inbox!
These burgers are so good and my young children like them too. They have always come out moist and are so flavourful!
These were SO easy to make and SO packed with flavor. I used all the ingredients (with your burger sauce). Paired perfectly with some sweet tater tots (and dipped the tots in the burger sauce). I can’t wait to make this a regular staple in the burger rotation. My super picky BF also loved it. 🙂
I made this turkey burgers yesterday and used my BBQ. They are so good and tasty. As a Weight Watcher member, I am always looking for new recipes with lots of taste and these burgers were the answer…Thank you….
Wow! These turkey burgers are amazing! So flavorful and comes together quickly. Already cannot wait to make them again! Thanks for sharing!
Perfect recipe for the summer grilling season! We loved these… so delicious!
Made these burgers last night for dinner. Fantastic!! A+ recipe & will definitely make these again.
So easy and very delicious!!!
This is definitely a keeper in on the rotation for summer barbecue season!!
Loved these! Grilled them last night for a family cookout and everyone enjoyed them. Will definitely be making again!
Our family has been taken advantage of the extra time during quarantine. We have been searching recipes to make and the kids help select and make them. Today we made your recipe! It was a hit! These turkey burgers were so easy and delicious!