Epic Burger Sauce
You guys are going to LOVE this Burger Sauce! It’s an easy and tasty condiment recipe made from ordinary ingredients that is fabulous on burgers, wraps, sandwiches and even French fries. Skip the ketchup and mustard combo because this is the only “special sauce” you’ll ever need to up your homemade burger game!
I made this burger sauce last night and the only thing I did wrong was that I did not put enough on the bun!!! It was delicious!!! Next time I may just dip my burger in the sauce. Well done!!!!— Mary
My creamy pasta sauce and chipotle ranch recipes have been such a hit with all of you that I thought a good burger sauce was in order!
You may be familiar with McDonald’s Big Mac Sauce (which is similar to Thousand Island dressing), In-N-Out Burger Spread, and many other restaurants offer their variation of the popular condiment as well. You can even find hamburger sauce in bottles at the grocery store. I know Heinz and Hellmann’s each have a product.
Trust me, though, this special sauce recipe is the BEST for burgers and so much more! It’s super easy to make, inexpensive, and tastes incredibly delicious too!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- So flavorful. It’s savory, slightly sweet, a little smoky and perfectly tangy bite. You’re going to be obsessed!
- Quick & easy to make. This is incredibly easy to whip up, and there’s a good chance you already have all of the ingredients you need sitting in your refrigerator and pantry. Only five key ingredients, one small bowl and a whisk is all you need to get this ready. In just 5 minutes, you’ll have an amazingly tasty condiment ready to be enjoyed!
- Great for many things. Not only does this make the best burgers, but it’s a great dipping sauce for wings, a fry dip, onion rings, chicken tenders, and more. The options are truly endless!
Every restaurant has their own top secret recipe, but the basic ingredients of a good burger sauce don’t vary too much. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Mayo. We recommend using whole egg mayonnaise for a smoother, more rounded taste. Hellmans is our favorite brand. Use full fat mayo for the best, most richest flavor.
- Ketchup. Adds a subtle vinegar flavor and slight sweetness to the sauce.
- Sweet pickle juice. Our secret ingredient! Gives this sauce a tang balanced with sweetness.
- Spices & seasonings. Using the perfect blend of garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper to give this sauce so much flavor. If you like spice, stir in a dash of cayenne pepper.
How to make this recipe
This recipe could not be easier! There’s not much to it other than stirring several simple ingredients together. Here’s the simple process:
See the recipe card for the full, printable recipe.
- Add mayonnaise, ketchup, sweet pickle juice, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper to a small bowl.
- Stir the ingredients together until fully combined.
- Cover and store in the fridge. I like to let the sauce sit in the fridge for 1 to 2 hours for the best flavor. It can be stored up to about 2 weeks.
- Serve on burgers, sandwiches, wraps and use it as a dip for French fries. Yum!
Want to change it up? This recipe is very easy to customize! Here’s some options:
- Pickle juice. I prefer the sweetness of the sweet pickle juice. It complements the zing of the ketchup, but if you prefer the tang of dill pickle juice, that will work just as well. You can also sub the pickle juice for about 1-2 tablespoons sweet or dill pickle relish, if you prefer a little crunchiness.
- Mustard. Some burger sauce recipes use about 1 tablespoon mustard. I personally don’t feel that it’s needed, but feel free to experiment. You can try adding regular or Dijon mustard to the recipe.
- Paprika. I love the smoky flavor that smoked paprika provides. However, if you only have regular paprika, that will work too. If you like your sauce with a kick of heat, add 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper.
Frequently asked questions
Burger Sauce is usually a creamy spread made with a combination of ketchup and mayonnaise with additional mix-ins that make it unique and give it extra flavor. Many times you’ll hear it referred to as special, house, or secret sauce. Every recipe is a bit different, but in this specific recipe all you need is mayo, ketchup, sweet pickle juice and some spices. So simple!
This sauce is very similar. Big Mac sauce is creamy-like mayonnaise, with a subtle, sweet tang. Most people think it’s made with Thousand Island dressing, but it actually contains French dressing for a tangier flavor.
Burger King’s proprietary sauce is the Zesty sauce. It is a combination of buffalo sauce, honey mustard, and barbecue.
Pro tip: I highly recommend making this sauce in advance, so the flavor can really build!
Fire up the grill! You’re definitely going to want to slather this sauce all over my bacon cheese stuffed burgers, pictured in this post. It’s also such a great addition to my juicy turkey burgers, chicken burgers and healthy burgers! And be sure to serve your hamburgers with my old fashioned potato salad or my favorite greek pasta salad and chips. Don’t forget peach crisp for dessert!
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to about 2 weeks.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Epic Burger Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle juice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked or regular paprika
- dash of cayenne, optional for spice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Stir mayonnaise together with ketchup, pickle juice, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cayenne (if using) and salt and pepper to taste. Place in refrigerator.
- This sauce can be served immediately or refrigerate for 2 hours for the flavor to build before using for the best taste.
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Dill pickle juice can be used instead of sweet.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @kimscravings on Instagram and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy and delicious recipes straight to your inbox!
I made this last night and the only thing I did wrong was that I did not put enough on the bun!!! 😉 It was delicious!!! Next time I may just dip my burger in the sauce. Well done!!!!
So happy you enjoyed!!
This sounds amazing!!! All basic ingredients and the ability to adjust the zippiness with red pepper. I am creating burger night baskets for Christmas presents with condiments, a grill brand and a gift card for Wagu beef from a local farm.. I was wondering if this sauce could be canned so I would not have to refrigerate the sauce ?
I’m not sure about canning the sauce… sorry. Love the idea of the baskets!
I forgot to leave a rating!
I absolutely love this recipe! I put my own little twist to it. Instead of ketchup, I used Sweet Baby Ray’s sugar free BBQ sauce. I also added about a half of a teaspoon of honey. Talk about some good stuff!!!! Thank you so much!!!!
Thanks so much for your feedback! So happy that you’re loving this recipe!
I was making burgers tonight and I did a quick search for burger sauce. Your recipe came up on top of the list. It took me less than 10 minutes to make it. It was very delicious and flavorful. Everyone in family was pleased with this sauce. This sauce is a keeper for me. THANK YOU so much.!!
So happy to hear you enjoyed!
I was looking for a new sauce for my cheeseburger egg rolls and gave this a try…simply delicious!
So happy you enjoyed!
On burgers, on fries, on sandwiches, on baked potatos, on………on everything! Such a yummie sauce, love it!
Yes! So happy you love!!
Made tonight! We loved it!
So glad you enjoyed!
New Jersey say’s yes to this sauce! Try it and you won’t regret it!
Yay! So happy to hear it!
Yum! This was delicious. Really took my burger to the next level. I will make it any time I make burgers.
Yum! This was delicious. Made for the perfect burger!
Maybe you should call this, Kim’s Everything Sauce!
I like the sound of that!!
I make similar sauce and everyone loves it. It’s very tasty and so easy to make! Yum 🙂
THIS is the best sauce!! So easy to make and turns a burger into a whole new thing. Making it again tomorrow.
I normally just like ketchup and mustard on my burgers, but I would definitely try this. Sounds like it adds so much more flavor and super easy to make too!
This sauce is absolutely divine!
This sauce looks absolutely delicious. I’m definitely making this next time I’m making burgers!
This is THE best burger sauce! I shouldn’t even limit it to burgers though, its a great all around sauce. Perfect for dipping anything into!
I was looking for a recipe like this, thank you for sharing!
What a delicious combination of flavors. This sauce is so creamy. Love your recipe.
So yummy! My kids really loved it!! Thanks for the recipe!
Hi, I have a question, I know the nutrition facts say 12 servings but how much is each serving exactly? Like in tsp or tbsp. Thanks,
Should be a tablespoon… enjoy!
This sauce is so yummy and I love how you can just make it with everything you already have too.