Chipotle Chicken Taco Salad
Chipotle Chicken Taco Salad- all the flavors of a taco made healthier and super tasty with a creamy, slightly spicy Greek yogurt dressing!
If you’re on the lookout for a new lunch recipe that’s bursting with fresh flavor, nutritious ingredients and lots of gorgeous color, I’ve got the perfect meal for you. I love Tex-Mex, but many southwestern meals aren’t the healthiest, so when I came across a taco salad from Cooking Light, I just had to give it a try… with my own adaptations, of course.
For the creamy chipotle dressing, I used nonfat plain Greek yogurt instead of light sour cream. It has such a lovely flavor, I’ve even thought about making it as fish taco topping.
I used my favorite shredded chicken from Target and if you guys haven’t tried this chicken, you must. It has a wonderful texture and flavor. I’ve used in soups, salads, and stir fries, but I also really like it on it’s own too. They sell several varieties, but this one seems to be the healthiest without additional ingredients added.
This Chipotle Chicken Taco Salad is a satisfying meal, especially paired with tortilla chips. It’s also great as a side salad, if you’re serving a Mexican-inspired meal. I made stuffed bell peppers the other night and served it as a side. Yum- it was delish!
- 2/3 cup Greek yogurt*
- 1/3 cup packed fresh cilantro chopped
- 4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle chile canned in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- 4 cups chopped romaine leaves about 2 heads of romaine
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken**
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup diced peeled avocado about 1/2 large Hass avocado
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- To prepare dressing, combine all dressing ingredients, stirring well. Set aside.
- To prepare salad, combine lettuce and remaining salad ingredients in a large serving or mixing bowl. Top with dressing and toss gently to coat. Serve immediately or store in a sealed container for up to three days.
*I used nonfat plain Greek yogurt.
**I used rotisserie chicken.
***I made this salad ahead of time to bring to work for lunch and it was delicious, for up to three days, stored in the fridge in a sealed container.
Slightly adapted from Cooking Light.
Lovin’ this Chipotle Chicken Taco Salad and on the search for other chicken salad recipes? Look no further!
Something to think about….
Are you a salad person? What are your favorite mix-ins?