Whole Wheat Pancakes
Rise and shine! Light, fluffy and perfectly sweet whole wheat pancakes are on the menu! This healthy pancake recipe is made with simple ingredients, is so easy and tastes amazing! Your family will LOVE these homemade pancakes and will request them often!
Is there anything better than a giant stack of pancakes fresh off the griddle on a Saturday morning? Add a glass of orange juice, a strong cup of hazelnut coffee, and a healthy amount of maple syrup, and you have the perfect way to start a weekend. Don’t you agree?
This whole wheat pancake recipe creates a light, airy batter that makes those tall and fluffy pancakes that are super tender. The ingredients are simple and the star of the show is yogurt! Adding Greek or regular yogurt to pancake batter helps to thicken it up, but still leaves you with the lightest pancake.
These pancakes are absolutely perfect! They’re thick and fluffy with crispy edges. And the flavor – these pancakes are melt-in-your-mouth delicious!
How Do You Make Whole Wheat Pancakes?
This recipe is simple and can be whipped up in a hurry!
- Heat and grease your griddle or a large skillet over medium heat.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a larger mixing bowl, combine eggs, almond milk, applesauce, yogurt and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture into the egg mixture and mix until blended. Let batter rest for about 5 minutes for super fluffy pancakes.
- Measure out batter using a 1/4 cup measuring cup for each pancake and cook for about 4-5 mins on each side. They should be golden brown on each side.
- Enjoy with toppings of your choice!
Tips For Fluffy Whole Wheat Pancakes:
This recipe is simple and straight forward, but I do have a few pancake-making tips to give you the most perfect fluffy whole wheat pancakes.
- Use whole wheat pastry flour. Whole wheat pastry flour is more finely ground than whole wheat flour and has a bit less gluten. It will give you the lightest whole wheat pancakes. If you don’t have whole wheat pastry flour, white whole wheat flour works very well too. Another option is to use a combination of all-purpose and wheat flour.
- Yogurt is key to fluffy pancakes. Both Greek or regular yogurt work to make these healthy pancakes super thick (but still light)!
- Don’t over-mix the batter. You want to gently fold the wet and dry ingredients together until you have a lumpy, just-moist batter. Lumps are good in pancakes, trust me! If you beat the batter until it is perfectly smooth, you’ll have a very dense, flat pancake instead of a light and fluffy one.
- For best results, make sure you use active baking powder. If you’re unsure if your baking powder is still good, you can test it by mixing 1 teaspoon of baking powder with 1/3 cup hot water. If the baking powder is fresh, the mixture should produce lots of bubbles.
- Don’t press down on the pancake with the back of your spatula. This will cause the pancake to flatten and it won’t help them cook any faster.
To Keep Pancakes Warm:
To keep pancakes warm in between batches, preheat your oven to 200 degrees F. Once the pancakes are cooked, transfer them to a large baking sheet and put them in the oven to stay warm.
Store any leftover whole wheat pancakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. I typically store my leftover pancakes in large zip-top baggies.
These fluffy whole wheat pancakes freeze so well! I often make a huge batch to enjoy through the week. Once the cooked pancakes have cooled to room temperature, transfer them to a large baking sheet to flash-freeze them. When they are frozen, transfer them to an airtight container or zip-top baggies. Simply reheat in the microwave or toaster and you have a delicious, healthy breakfast ready-to-go super quick!
Experiment with different yogurt flavors and mix-ins to make this fluffy pancake recipe your own!
- Yogurt: This recipe is great with plain yogurt, but if you really want to kick up the flavor, try different yogurt varieties. We love vanilla, strawberry, and key lime yogurt! Any favorite yogurt works!
- Mix-ins: Feel free to jazz the pancakes up however you like! Throw berries, chocolate chips, sprinkles and/or nuts into the batter!
Pancake Topping Ideas:
Another great way to change up your pancakes is with fun and delicious pancake toppings. Find some tasty ideas below!
- Syrups. maple syrup, honey, fruit syrups, chocolate syrup
- Nut Butter. peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, sunflower butter, Nutella
- Fresh Fruit. blueberries, apricots, strawberries, raspberries, apples, peaches, pears, banana slices, pom seeds
- Dried Fruit. raisins, cranberries, figs, apricots, goji berries, dates
- Nuts. almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts, peanuts, sunflower seeds
- Fun Toppings. cream cheese, jelly, whipped cream, yogurt, sprinkles, chocolate chips, shredded coconut
Whole wheat pancakes are a family favorite breakfast! They’re so easy, I make them all of the time. And not only are they super tasty, these pancakes are so easy and healthy too. I highly recommend making a double batch because they disappear so quickly!
More Pancake Recipes You’ll Enjoy
If you try these easy whole wheat pancakes, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves them as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Whole Wheat Pancakes
- 1 cup (120g) whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain (or flavored) Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat griddle or large skillet over medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray or grease with oil or butter.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine egg, almond milk, applesauce, yogurt and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture into the liquid mixture and whisk until blended. Allow blended batter to rest for about 5 minutes for super fluffy pancakes.
- Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to measure out batter for each pancake (about 54 grams/pancake) and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side. They should be golden brown on each side.
- Enjoy with toppings of your choice; such as butter, maple syrup, nut butter, chopped nuts and/or fresh fruit.