Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas
Happy Marvelous Monday! Very appropriately, I have a marvelous “meatless Monday” recipe for you- Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas! Hope everyone had a great weekend and you are ready to have a wonderful week.
These sweet potato black bean enchiladas are so tasty and full of good-for-you ingredients this meal is sure to become a go-to for your family!
What are your thoughts on “meatless Monday”? I don’t have a problem going meatless, but my husband usually has to have his meat. Well with this meal…. no meat, no problem! These enchiladas are so satisfying and delectable; believe me, you won’t miss the meat at all! I’m absolutely head over heels for the combination of flavors in this meal. The sweetness from the sweet potato with the slightly spicy kick from the enchilada sauce is to die for.
Sweet Potato & Black Bean Enchiladas
For the enchiladas:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 small jalapenos, minced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup corn
- 15 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 6-8 tortillas, I used large wrap bread and cut the wraps in half. Use the tortillas or wraps that you prefer.
- Optional garnish: chopped tomatoes, avocados, green onions, fresh cilantro
For the enchilada sauce:
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 yellow onion
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
For the enchiladas:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 13" x 9" casserole dish by greasing and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the sweet potatoes, onion and jalapeños in the oil and coat. Sprinkle the ground black pepper and sea salt over the mixture to combine.
- Add the water. Cover the pot and cook until potatoes are crispy on the outside but cooked through on the inside, about 8 minutes, stirring often so that the onions don't burn.
- Add the garlic, corn, black beans, cumin and chili powder and stir to combine with the sweet potato and onions. Lower heat to medium and cook for about 3-5 minutes. Stirring frequently.
- Pour ¾ cup enchilada sauce on the bottom of the casserole dish and then assemble enchiladas. To assemble enchiladas, scoop the sweet potato black bean mixture evenly amongst the tortillas. Top with a tablespoon of enchilada sauce each and roll together tightly.
- Add the rolled tortillas side by side to pack the casserole dish. Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce on top and the rest of the cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the oven. Remove and allow to cool slightly for about 2 minutes.
- Garnish chopped tomatoes, avocados, green onions, fresh cilantro and serve immediately.
For the enchilada sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor, blender or Vitamix and blend for about 6 minutes and until ingredients are fully combined and smooth.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @kimscravings on Instagram and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy and delicious recipes straight to your inbox!
Something to think about….
Do you ever have “meatless Mondays”?
What is your favorite meatless meal?
i have a question about the sweet potato? It says baked but it also says chopped. Do I bake the sweet potato first? If I do it def won’t be chopped afterwards. More like mashed.
Thanks for noticing- that should not say baked and I will fix that. You will chop the sweet potato and then add it to the skillet as the instructions read. Sorry for the confusion.
These enchiladas look fantastic! I love sweet potatoes. No, I don’t have a problem going meatless at all… I used to be a vegetarian & actually prefer it most of the time. My favorite meatless meal is baked kabocha squash w/greek yogurt & PB. Yum!! 🙂
Yum…. I love kabocha squash!
These look awesome! I love sweet potatoes. This sounds like another great and creative way to use them.
Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite foods! Thanks, Crystal!
I’ve never tried sweet potato as a filling to anything before, but have heard/seen so many recipes using it that I’ll have to try it. Besides, what’s not to love about enchiladas? 🙂 Thanks for sharing!
Sweet potatoes are so good used in wraps, tacos and enchiladas! You should definitely give it a try!
What a delicious looking recipe! I rarely do Meatless Mondays since I found out I was B12 deficient. It means I have to have some form of animal product everyday if I don’t want to depend on supplements. My Monday was marvelous because I had a fantastic and relaxing weekend. Starting off the week right 😉 Hope your Monday and everyday this week is equally as marvelous!
I think these enchiladas would be great with added ground turkey breast or shredded chicken!
Sweet potato and black beans are my favorite combo after peanut butter & chocolate 😉
We definitely think alike!!
These sound absolutely delicious to me (of course!!). I LOVE sweet potatoes in Mexican food, but hardly ever remember to do it. I definitely need to give these a try, especially since they are vegan!
I do too! The sweet and spicy combo is definitely a great one!
Everything about this recipe is amazing! Pinning.
Awww…. thanks, Reba! I hope you like them!
I’ve thought a LOT about doing Meatless Mondays, but I am like your husband and I also enjoy my meat. I think that while I am still finding veggies that I really like, I just feel like I don’t get enough food when I don’t have a little meat on the side. I’d like to be to the point where I could try it one day.
I know what you mean about having enough food. These will definitely fill you up, though! 😉
Oh my goodness, these look SO amazing! I love the sweet potato and black bean combo. Personally one of my favorites out there, so I know I would love this one!
I typically eat Monday’s meatless, since most days are meatless. But, I’m definitely not a vegetarian. I eat meat once in a while.
Thanks, Lisa! Sweet potatoes and black beans are one of my favorite combos too. I love the sweet and savory!
I can’t imagine anyone missing meat with a recipe like this – it sounds delicious! I don’t really ever plan on having meatless Mondays, but there are plenty of random days throughout the week where I end up not eating any meat. There are some days where I’m really hankering for some baked chicken, and others when I couldn’t care less… I figure my body knows what it’s doing and it all balances out in the end 🙂
Oh how I love sweet potato and black bean together. If only I could eat beans 🙁
This recipe looks great! Going in my “to try” recipe pile 🙂
Hope you like them, Amy!
These look so delicious.
I don’t really watch the days I eat meatless – it just happens once in a while. If so, then I love me my vegetable omeletts or hummus.
This recipe looks quite awesome, anything with sweet potatoes is bound to be. I don’t really do meatless Mondays, but have no problem having a meatless meal. In fact, I’m quite addicted to salads and love many vegetarian restaurants. Happy Monday!
I agree! Sweet potatoes can pretty much make anything awesome!
Ha Ha, my husband always has to have meat. Thankfully, he’s okay with going meatless for Mondays… after a lot of asking & nagging I might add 🙂 lol