Healthy Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
Enjoy this creamy, flavorful Healthy Roasted Tomato Basil Soup without the guilt! There is no cream, sugar, or any unnecessary additives in this wonderful bowl of deliciousness!
Long-time readers know that we sure love our tomatoes around here. Brad has a garden every summer and we always have loads of tomatoes. This year was especially fruitful! We gave many bags of tomatoes away to neighbors and friends and, of course, there was lots of salsa consumed. Those of you that love salsa should totally check out Brad’s famous salsa recipe. It’s one of the most popular recipes on the site and gets rave reviews. He even learned to can salsa this summer, so we can enjoy it for many months to come.
To keep those gorgeous tomatoes from rotting, I had to get creative and come up with recipes that would use plenty of juicy tomatoes. Tomato soup to the rescue! And this tomato soup is SO simple and SO delicious. It’s also super healthy, even Whole30 approved. It takes a little bit of roasting time, but there is very little hands-on time involved.
Tips and Tricks for Making this Healthy Roasted Tomato Basil Soup:
- Grab the ripest tomatoes you can find. And if you can get your hands on garden or farmer’s market tomatoes, even better — they are going to have the best flavor!
- Feel free to leave out any ingredients you don’t like. For example, go easy on the onion if you’re not generally a fan. It’s your soup, so you do you!
- Use whichever herbs you have handy that you love with tomatoes! Almost anything goes here.
- This soup is naturally gluten-free, paleo, vegan and Whole30 approved.
Looking for other healthy soup recipes? Try other favorites:
Clean Eating Creamy Enchilada Soup
Spicy Vegan Black Bean Soup from The Glowing Fridge
Roasted Carrot Soup from Well Plated
If you make this soup you must take a picture and tag it #kimscravings on Instagram!
There’s quite a little community of Kim’s Cravings cooks over there where images of the recipes you make and love continue to pile up. Let’s keep this foodie love fest going, shall we?
As always, thanks for following and for supporting what we do. Enjoy!
Healthy Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- 2 pounds tomatoes, halved or sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 small yellow or white onions, cut into thick slices
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth or chicken broth or water
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- ½ cup almond milk or other non dairy milk
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt + more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper + more to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place tomatoes on a large parchment-paper-lined or foil-covered baking pan in a single layer.
- Place onions and garlic on the same baking pan. Depending on the size of your baking pan, this may need to be done in two batches.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Bake for about 40 minutes.
- While vegetables are cooking, combine canned tomatoes, broth, basil, thyme, and milk in a blender and blend until mixture is completely smooth. Add this blended mixture to a medium-large soup pot.
- Once vegetables are done roasting, add them to the blender and blend until smooth.
- Add blended roasted vegetables to the pot and bring the soup to a simmer. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add remaining salt and pepper to taste. Serve with any favorite crackers or grilled cheese sandwiches and enjoy.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @kimscravings on Instagram and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy and delicious recipes straight to your inbox!
My garden tomatoes aren’t ready this year yet…but I know what I’ll be making ASAP when they are! 🙂