Italian Chicken Burgers
Best healthy chicken burgers ever! A cross between a juicy burger and tasty chicken parmesan, these Italian Chicken Burgers are going to knock your socks off! They’re easy to make with ground chicken, parmesan cheese and marinara. Then, the chicken patties are cooked and simmered in more marinara and topped with melty mozzarella cheese. Yum! There is so much flavor and goodness in this quick and easy chicken burger recipe!
best chicken burgers
I don’t know about you guys, but I actually LOVE turkey and chicken burgers. In fact, if cooked just right, I enjoy them even more than regular burgers. And guess what? These Italian chicken burgers are AMAZING.
If you’re afraid these chicken burgers might be dry, since chicken has less fat than beef, don’t be. We’re adding some pretty fabulous ingredients into the ground chicken to keep this burger super juicy. From cheese and marinara sauce to the onion, these burgers are anything but dry.
Not only is this burger super tasty, it’s also easy to make, requiring simple methods and basic ingredients, you likely have on hand right now. So, what are you waiting for? Add these delicious chicken burgers to the weekly menu. Your family will definitely thank you!
ingredients needed to make italian chicken burgers
These chicken burgers are simple and straightforward to make, yet they’re filled with ingredients that give them SO much flavor. Here’s what you’ll be needing:
- Ground chicken. You’ll need one pound of ground chicken to make 4 burgers. Ground turkey would totally work too. I think ground beef or ground bison would have too strong of a flavor and would not work well for this particular burger recipe.
- Parmesan cheese. I recommend using freshly grated parmesan instead of the parmesan that comes out of the green jar, which often has caking agents in it. Fresh parmesan will also have the best flavor. You can usually buy fresh, already grated parmesan at the store.
- Breadcrumbs. For the breadcrumbs, use any favorite panko breadcrumbs. I used panko breadcrumbs with Italian seasoning.
- Marinara sauce. We’re adding marinara to the ground chicken and also simmering the ground chicken in marinara sauce. You can definitely go all out and make homemade marinara sauce, but to save time use a tasty jarred marinara. I really love Organico Bello or Raos they are both very tasty, made with simple ingredients and have no added sugar.
- Onion, garlic, parsley, salt & pepper. So much delicious flavor!
- Mozzarella cheese. A slice of mozzarella cheese on top for that classic Italian taste.
- Hamburger buns. Feel free to use any favorite buns. We love thick, fluffy brioche buns!
how to make italian chicken burgers
Just a few simple steps and you’re well on your way to a killer burger!
- Make the burger patty. To make the patty, combine the ground chicken with parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, marinara, onion, garlic, parsley and salt & pepper.
- Cook the chicken patty. In a large heated skillet, cook the burgers about 5 minutes on one side.
- Simmer in marinara. Flip the burgers and pour marinara around them in the pan. Bring to a simmer, reducing heat if the sauce starts bubbling too rapidly. Top each patty with mozzarella, then cover the pan and cook until cheese melts and chicken is cooked through.
- Toast buns. While the chicken is finishing cooking, gently toast buttered hamburger buns in a 350°F oven until buns are warmed through and lightly crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Assemble burgers. Spoon extra sauce from the skillet onto the bottom halves of the burger buns and place cooked chicken patty on top. Garnish with basil and top with remaining bun halves. Serve immediately and enjoy!
tips for the best italian burgers
This chicken burger recipe really is a breeze to make, but here are some tips to make sure you serve up a perfect burger every time!
- Do not over mix. When combining the ground chicken with the other ingredients, be careful not to over mix. You don’t want to end up with tough burgers.
- Making patties. When forming the ground chicken mixture into patties, it helps to run your hands under water before you touch the meat. This prevents it from sticking to your hands.
- Don’t press down the patties while cooking them. When you press down on burger patties while they are cooking, it presses out the natural juices and could make them dry.
- Meat thermometer. It’s a good idea to use a food thermometer, so you know exactly when your chicken burger is fully cooked. Temperature of the center should reach 165ºF.
- Make ahead. The chicken burger patties can be made up to 8 hours in advance and feel free to double the recipe, if you’re serving a crowd.
- Grilled burgers. If you’d prefer, you can grill your burgers instead of cooking them on the stovetop. Grill about 4 minutes on each side and until they are cooked through. Heat up the sauce in the skillet separately. Once the burgers are cooked add them in with the sauce and add the cheese or you could just assemble the burger with all the fixings.
- Toast buns. It’s an extra step, but it makes all the difference! I highly recommend buttering and toasting the hamburger buns before assembling the burgers.
italian chicken burger variations
This burger meal is delicious as-is, but feel free to change things up to customize it to your family’s preferences and what you have available.
- Protein. Instead of using chicken, try this with turkey, Italian seasoned turkey or Italian sausage.
- Spiciness. For just a little kick of heat, add about 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes to the sauce or use a spicy marinara sauce.
- Cheese. Swap the mozzarella for any other favorite cheese. Try Havarti, Gorgonzola, Provolone or Asiago cheese. Even crumbled feta cheese over the top would be super tasty!
- Butter for buns. The buns would be delicious with a smear of homemade garlic herb butter before toasting them.
what to serve with chicken burgers
You have the perfect Italian burger, now what are you going to serve with it? Here are some side options that pair wonderfully with this dish:
My favorite Italian salad – this irresistible Italian salad goes especially well with these chicken burgers.
Greek pasta salad – fresh, flavorful and perfect for serving a crowd!
French fries – hot, crispy fries make for a tasty side, especially when dipped in the marinara sauce.
Fresh green salad – simply toss mixed greens with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Feel free to add toppings to your salad such as red onion, cherry tomatoes, and croutons.
Roasted broccoli – bakes up tender, crisp and golden brown. A healthy side dish that pairs great with these burgers!
Seasoned roasted vegetables – use any vegetable medley with my favorite seasoning mix and you’ve got a flavorful side dish.
Best Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies – don’t forget a little something sweet after the burgers!
If you’re looking to amp up burger night at your house, you should definitely give these easy Italian Chicken Burgers a try! They’re a little messy and so delicious! Always a hit when I make them!
other favorite italian dishes to try
If you try this Italian chicken burgers recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Best healthy chicken burgers ever! A cross between a juicy burger and tasty chicken parmesan, these Italian Chicken Burgers are going to knock your socks off!
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (I used panko breadcrumbs w/ Italian seasoning)
- 2 cups marinara sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- 4 slices Mozzarella cheese (you can use grated instead, if preferred)
- 4 hamburger buns
- Optional: basil for garnish
In a medium bowl, combine ground chicken, Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup marinara sauce, onion, garlic, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper and stir with a large spoon (or mix w/ your hands) until evenly mixed. Form the mixture into 4 patties.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Place patties in the skillet and cook until golden brown on one side, 4 to 5 minutes. Alternatively, grill the burgers for 4 minutes per side or until no longer pink.
Flip the patties, then immediately pour remaining marinara around them in the pan. Bring marinara to a simmer, reducing heat if the sauce is bubbling too rapidly. Top each patty with mozzarella, then cover pan and cook until cheese melts and chicken burger is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes more.
While the chicken is finishing cooking, gently toast buttered hamburger buns in a 350°F oven until buns are warmed through and lightly crispy, about 5 minutes.
To assemble the burgers, spoon extra sauce from the skillet onto the bottom halves of the burger buns and place burgers on top. Garnish with basil and top with remaining bun halves. Serve immediately and enjoy!
*This recipe can easily be doubled to feed a crowd.
MAKE IT GLUTEN FREE: Be sure to use certified gluten-free panko breadcrumbs and hamburger buns.
MAKE IT LIGHTER: Use light mozzarella cheese or leave the cheese off. Serve bunless and over a salad or alongside a ton of roasted veggies.
MAKE IT DAIRY FREE: Be sure to use a dairy free cheese option.
Photos by Sasha at Eat Love Eats.
This recipe was first published July 2018 and was updated with new content and republished February 2021.