Healthy Chicken Parmesan Burgers
A cross between a delicious burger and yummy chicken parmesan, these Healthy Chicken Parmesan Burgers are going to knock your socks off! There is so much flavor and goodness in this quick and easy family meal!
This burger is easy to make, requiring simple methods and 9 everyday ingredients you likely have on hand right now.
It all starts with ground chicken, but ground turkey would totally work too. I think ground beef or ground bison would have too strong of a flavor and would not work well for this particular burger recipe.
If you’re afraid these chicken burgers might be dry, since chicken has less fat than beef, don’t be. We’re adding some pretty fabulous ingredients into the ground chicken to keep this burger super juicy. From cheese and marinara sauce to the onion, these burgers are anything but dry.
INFO ABOUT INGREDIENTS USED TO MAKE HEALTHY CHICKEN PARMESAN BURGERS:
You can definitely go all out and make homemade marinara sauce, but I used my go-to brand, Organico Bello, that I find in the natural foods section at Kroger. It’s very tasty, non-GMO, has no added sugar and low calories and carbs.
For the breadcrumbs, use any favorite panko breadcrumbs. I used a gluten-free option with Italian seasoning. Also, found in the natural foods section at Kroger.
The mozzarella was my go-to light mozzarella from Trader Joe’s. I know some light cheeses don’t melt well and have a funky texture, but both of Trader Joe’s light cheeses (mozzarella and 3 cheese blend) are wonderful.
I hope you all LOVE these parm burgers! They’re:
Easy to make
& Super delicious
This would make the perfect meal when you’re craving something Italian, but also feel like you just need a really good burger. These healthy chicken parmesan burgers even satisfy picky eaters with the delicious cheesiness (add as little or as much as you want), sauciness, and the fact that they work perfectly served between a fluffy bun or toasty bread (hello, carbs, I’m Kim and I love you).
I serve these burgers paired with a light side salad, roasted green beans or sautéed Brussels or broccoli.
IF THESE HEALTHY CHICKEN PARMESAN BURGERS ARE YOUR THING, YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Juicy Steakhouse Burgers from Once Upon a Chef
Best Veggie Burger from How Sweet Eats
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (I used panko breadcrumbs w/ Italian seasoning
- 2 cups marinara sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- Mozzarella cheese (grated or sliced)
- 4 hamburger buns
- Optional: basil for garnish
In a medium bowl, combine ground chicken, Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup marinara sauce, onion, garlic, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper and stir with a large spoon (or mix w/ your hands) until evenly mixed. Form the mixture into 4 patties.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Place patties in the skillet and cook until golden brown on one side, 4 to 5 minutes. Alternatively, grill the burgers for 4 minutes per side or until no longer pink.
- Flip the patties, then immediately pour remaining marinara around them in the pan. Bring marinara to a simmer, reducing heat if the sauce is bubbling too rapidly. Top each patty with mozzarella, then cover pan and cook until cheese melts and chicken burger is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- Spoon extra sauce from the skillet onto the bottom halves of the burger buns and place burgers on top. Garnish with basil and top with remaining bun halves. Serve immediately.
MAKE IT GLUTEN FREE: Be sure to use certified gluten-free panko breadcrumbs.
MAKE IT LIGHTER: Use light mozzarella cheese or leave the cheese off. Serve bunless and over a salad or alongside a ton of roasted veggies.
MAKE IT DAIRY FREE: Be sure to use a dairy free cheese option.