A family-friendly Mexican inspired meal, that’s as tasty as it is healthy. This Sweet Potato Black Bean Casserole is vegan and gluten-free, but can also be easily adapted to include meat.
I guest posted this meal over at Jill’s blog, Fitness, Health & Happiness a couple of weeks ago. This Sweet Potato Black Bean Casserole is just so delicious that I really want to share it with you guys, too! Not only is this meal wonderfully tasty; it’s so quick and easy to throw together. Adapt the casserole to include your favorite ingredients. If you’re not much of a black bean fan, substitute zucchini or mushrooms. The possibilities are endless!
As I shared in my guest post; the combo of sweet potatoes and black beans is a favorite of mine. Not only are they both delicious together, but they also pack a nutritional punch. Following, are just a few of the nutritional benefits of black beans and sweet potatoes:
- Black beans are very high in fiber, folate, protein, and antioxidants, along with numerous other vitamins and minerals.
- Black beans contain at least 8 different flavonoids with enormous antioxidant potential, and with their high content of phytochemicals, studies have connected black bean consumption with reduced risk of certain cancers.
- Sweet potatoes contain an antioxidant pigment, anthocyanin; which research shows, which may decrease the dangers presented by heavy metals and oxygen radicals.
- Sweet potatoes are abundant in vitamin A and C; which are invaluable in the prevention of many types of cancer.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (cook in the microwave for about 3-5 minutes, to soften)
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
- ½ an onion, chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup salsa, divided
- 2-4 tortillas, depending on size (corn, flour, sprouted, gluten-free or whole wheat)
- 4 oz. shredded cheese, use vegan as desired (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with a natural cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine diced sweet potato, black beans, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, chili powder, garlic salt, and cinnamon.
- Spread ½ cup salsa on the bottom of the baking dish. Arrange a tortilla on top, ripping into strips to get the right fit. Spoon a large layer of sweet potato/black bean mixture over tortilla strips. Spread the remaining ½ cup salsa over the sweet potato/black bean layer.
- Add one more layer of tortillas and then add the rest of the sweet potato/black bean mixture over the tortilla layer. Top with cheese, if using.
- Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes and until cheese is melted and top is slightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into squares and serve. Top with additional salsa, cilantro, and/or avocado, if desired.
- Enjoy! I know you will!
Something to think about….
Are you a black bean/sweet potato fan?
Do you make casseroles? Do you have a favorite casserole recipe? Please share!
I love quick and easy dinners! What’s your favorite throw-together dinner?
See you back here tomorrow!
Have you entered to win a $15 voucher to create your own MixMyOwn cereal?
a Rafflecopter giveaway