Chicken Piccata Recipe
This Chicken Piccata Recipe is battered chicken breasts that are wrapped in prosciutto and pan fried to golden brown perfection, then topped with a flavorful lemon sauce. An easy crowd pleasing dinner option that always gets rave reviews!
What is Chicken Piccata?
Piccata is meat, usually veal or chicken, that is sliced or pounded thin, dredged in flour, then sautéed in a lemon, butter, caper sauce. This chicken piccata is extra flavorful because before dredging it in flour, it is wrapped in a slice of prosciutto. Prosciutto is a salt-cured, dry-aged Italian ham and can be found near other speciality meats in the grocery store.
Chicken Piccata is commonly served over pasta. And it pairs well with a side of steamed green beans, broccoli or an Italian Salad. You could even swap out the pasta and serve your Chicken Piccata with roasted red potatoes, cauliflower au gratin or scalloped potatoes.
How Do You Make This Chicken Piccata Recipe?
Start by cutting chicken breasts in half lengthwise to create two thin pieces. You can also purchase thin cut chicken breasts to avoid having to cut larger breasts in half. If needed, to get the chicken breasts evenly thin, pound the chicken using a meat tenderizer, or another sturdy surface.
Wrap each piece of chicken with a slice of prosciutto and then dredge it in the flour/cheese mixture. Sear the chicken in butter and olive oil until it’s browned and cooked through. This will only take a few minutes because it’s so thin. Remove the chicken to a plate lined with a paper towel.
Add the remaining butter, wine or chicken broth, lemon juice, lemon zest and capers to the skillet. Use a spatula to scrape up the browned bits and continue to cook the sauce until it has reduced by about half. Pour the sauce over the chicken and enjoy!
Tips For Perfect Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken
- This Chicken Piccata recipe as written serves 2, however, it can easily be doubled or even tripled to serve more people.
- The prosciutto really adds something special to this dish and I highly recommend it, but the recipe will work fine without it.
- If possible, use freshly squeezed lemon juice, it has a much better flavor than bottled lemon juice.
- Use a white wine that you wouldn’t mind drinking, such as a Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc. Of course, you can always use chicken broth instead.
Chicken Piccata Variations
This chicken is delicious as-is, but you can absolutely add other ingredients to customize this dish to your tastes.
- Protein: Try using thinly sliced pork loin, veal or turkey for a different flavor and texture.
- Vegetables: You can add veggies to this dish such as artichoke hearts, sautéed mushrooms, spinach or zucchini.
- Sauce: Add 1/4 cup of heavy cream to the sauce for a different flavor and an added creaminess.
- Add-ins: Feel free to add other ingredients to the sauce such as Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes, sliced black olives or sun dried tomatoes.
This Chicken Piccata dish is always a favorite! I love that it’s easy enough to make on a busy weeknight, yet elegant enough to serve to guests. No matter how you serve it, this Chicken Piccata recipe will definitely get two thumbs up!
Looking for other easy dinner recipes? Try these favorites!
If you try this Chicken Piccata recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
This Chicken Piccata Recipe is thinly sliced chicken breasts that are wrapped in prosciutto and pan fried to golden brown perfection, then topped with a flavorful lemon sauce. An easy crowd pleasing dinner option that always gets rave reviews!
- 1 large chicken breast butterflied into two pieces or 2 thinly sliced chicken breasts
- 2 slices prosciutto
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or chicken broth (I use Pino Grigio)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- chopped parsley, optional for garnish
- Mix the flour, grated Parmesan and salt & pepper together in a shallow bowl. Wrap one slice of prosciutto around each chicken half, then dredge the chicken in the flour/cheese mixture.
- Heat olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a medium or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook on each side until golden brown. Remove the chicken to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Add remaining butter, wine/chicken broth, lemon juice, lemon zest and capers to the skillet. Use a spatula to scrape up the browned bits and continue to cook the sauce until it has reduced by about half. Pour sauce over the chicken and enjoy with pasta and/or a large green salad.
*This recipe moves quickly. I recommend measuring out and preparing all ingredients before starting to cook.
**This recipe can easily be doubled to feed a family.
***Calories and fat is likely to be lower than what is reported because you won't be eating all of the sauce.