Parmesan Baked Cod
Parmesan Baked Cod is mildly flavored cod topped with Parmesan cheese, paprika and parsley, then roasted to tender perfection. A super easy, tasty dinner option that’s quick to make and perfect for busy weeknights! This healthy meal is ready to serve in less than 30 minutes and has amazing reviews!
This post was originally published on 5/5/2016. It was republished on 4/4/20 with new content.
There are so many nights when I just need an easy dinner on the table as soon as possible. This baked cod fits the bill! It takes less than 30 minutes to make, yet is packed with tons of flavor. This parmesan baked cod is one of those trusty recipes, I keep in my regular meal rotation. It’s the perfect lightened-up main course that you can serve alongside a myriad of side dishes. It cooks up quick and requires very little hands on time. Plus, it’s SUPER tasty! One the whole family will enjoy!
How Do You Make Baked Cod?
This recipe starts with mixing together the parmesan cheese, paprika, parsley and salt in a shallow bowl. Drizzle a little olive oil over the cod and then dredge the fish in the cheese mixture and transfer to a parchment or foil-lined baking sheet. It may be necessary to gently press the cheese into the fish.
I paired the cod with broccoli and was even able to bake it on the same sheet pan. I just sprayed a bit of cooking spray over the top of the broccoli and seasoned it with salt and Trader Joe’s Everyday Seasoning (any favorite seasoning would work). How easy is that? The entire meal was ready-to-go in less than 30 minutes. Wahoo!
My kiddos are quite picky when it comes to seafood, but they actually really enjoyed this meal because cheese. Yep, cheese just makes everything better- doesn’t it?!
Tips For Baked Cod
- This Parmesan cheese topping will work well on other types of fish such as swordfish, halibut, salmon and trout.
- I recommend using fresh wild cod whenever possible. Farmed fresh cod will also work well, but wild tends to have more nutrients which is why it’s the better choice if it’s available.
- For a crispier crust, you can use panko or regular bread crumbs in place of the parmesan. Or use a combination of both.
- Add any seasonings that you like: garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, etc. Do go easy on the salt because Parmesan cheese is quite salty.
How Do You Know When Cod Is Done Cooking?
Cod is cooked through when the fish flakes easily with a fork and appears opaque. If you’re not sure that the cod is done, you can use a digital thermometer (like this one) to measure the internal temperature. If the temperature is at least 145 degrees F, then the cod is ready to eat. You want to be sure not to overcook the fish, as it can get tough and dry.
Parmesan baked cod is bursting with healthy, fresh flavor and pairs well with roasted veggies and brown rice or quinoa. It would also be lovely atop a nice green salad with juicy garden tomatoes. Basically, whatever you like to serve with chicken, pork or salmon would also taste great with baked cod. It doesn’t have a fishy taste, so most people will enjoy it.
Is Cod Healthy?
Cod is an awesome option for a healthy diet. It’s high in protein and low in fat and carbohydrates. Cod is full of vitamins and minerals and is a great source of Vitamin B6 and B12. It’s one of my favorite seafood varieties to enjoy and I try to make sure my family eats it once a week.
Reheating Baked Cod
Leftover cod will keep well in the fridge for a couple of days. For best results, reheat cod in a toaster oven for about 10 minutes at 350ºF. You can also reheat the baked cod by broiling it in the oven for a few minutes.
This baked cod is one of my go-to dinner recipes, even the kids will happily eat it! It’s the perfect dish for those nights when you really don’t feel like cooking. In my opinion, you can never have too many quick meal options, and this is one of the best.
Parmesan Baked Cod Video Tutorial
More Seafood Meals To Try!
Parmesan Baked Cod
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (or 1 teaspoon dried parsley)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cod fillets, (about 6 oz. each)
- lemon wedges (optional: for serving), cut into wedges
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- In a shallow bowl, mix together the Parmesan, paprika, parsley and salt. Drizzle the cod with olive oil (rubbing it into the front and back of the fillet), then dredge in the cheese mixture, pressing it in lightly with your fingers. Transfer to the baking sheet. Top cod with any leftover cheese mixture.
- Bake until the fish is opaque in the thickest part, 10-15 minutes. Serve with the lemon slices.