Southwestern Quinoa Sweet Potato Casserole
The struggle is real when it comes to pleasing picky eaters, but this yummy Southwestern Quinoa Sweet Potato Casserole is a family dinner idea that even the kids will love!
This delicious Mexican-inspired meal is chock-full of black beans, sweet potato, quinoa and a whole lot of flavor. Oh, did I mention it’s also covered with a creamy chipotle sauce? Yep. We definitely have the sauciness component covered!
It seems like easy casserole recipes like this one have sort of slipped out of fashion, but I’m still a fan of meals that you can throw together quickly and satisfy the whole family.
Let’s face it, any meal that you make at home beats fast food and you can even get the kids involved in the kitchen to help you put this yuminess together.
Even better that my Southwestern casserole recipe is super easy to make. It’s really perfect for those over-scheduled weeknights or weekends when you don’t want to spend a whole lot of extra time in the kitchen. Simply stir everything together in a casserole dish and pop it in the oven!
The filling is so simple: a mixture of ground turkey (if desired), sweet potatoes, black beans, quinoa and tomatoes are seasoned with salsa and several of my favorite spices. Swoon.
Now for the magic. Your Southwestern Quinoa Sweet Potato Casserole will bake up bubbly and beautiful.
The toppings make all the difference. Give the casserole a good drizzle of chipotle sauce and be sure to add even more deliciousness with ripe avocado, even more salsa and a sprinkling of fresh cilantro for a burst of extra color. Can you think of anything else? Fun options are endless!
I try to keep my meals as organic as possible and I easily found a host of organic products for this recipe from Kroger. It just so happened to be budget-friendly too! Kroger has a huge variety of organic products throughout each department, from pastas to spices. Almost every ingredient in this recipe is from Kroger’s Simple Truth Organic line.
Good news too! Kroger is hosting an Organic Event from 7/9-7/26 where you can find over $100 on organic items with digital coupons at Kroger. Visit organicseveryday.com to learn more!
If you ask me, black beans and sweet potatoes were made for each other and the quinoa adds a lovely heartiness. The flavor and texture combination was brilliant! You guys are seriously going to be head-over-heels for this meal! It’s:
& Downright incredibly tasty!
Make this recipe when you’re craving something hearty and comforting. It’s an easy, soul-warming dish that strikes the perfect balance between healthy and satisfying. Chips and guac (forever) would make lovely additions.
If you give this a try, let me know! Leave a comment and be sure to tag a picture #kimscravings on Instagram! I’d love to see what you come up with. Happy eating, friends!
- 1 pound Simple Truth Organic lean ground chicken, turkey, bison or beef*
- 1 cup Simple Truth Organic quinoa, uncooked and rinsed
- 1 cup Simple Truth Organic vegetable (or chicken) broth
- 2 cans Simple Truth Organic black beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 cans Simple Truth Organic diced tomatoes + juices
- 1.5 cups Simple Truth Organic salsa
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 large sweet potatoes, diced
- Optional for serving: fresh cilantro and/or avocado slices
- ½ ripe avocado , seeded and peeled
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 1-2 tablespoons water + more , as needed, to obtain desired consistency
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Bring a large skillet to medium heat. Add ground meat; breaking up as it browns. Do NOT overcook because meat will continue to cook in the oven.
- Stir all ingredients together in prepared dish until completely combined.
- Bake, covered with foil, for about 75 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, mix together all ingredients for the chipotle sauce.
- Once the casserole is done remove from oven and top with fresh cilantro and chipotle sauce. Serve with avocado slices, if desired. Enjoy!
*Omit for a vegan meal. This dish will work fine without any meat added.
Extra lean ground turkey was used to calculate nutritional information. Chipotle sauce was not included in nutritional information.
OTHER FAVORITE DINNER RECIPES!
Something to think about….
Have you tried any of the Kroger Simple Truth Organic products? They’re definitely my go-to for organics! Head on over to organicseveryday.com and take advantage of the Kroger Organic Event (7/9-7/26) by grabbing up digital coupons totaling over $100 savings on organic products across the store.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Kroger. The opinions and text are all mine.