Skinny Sugar Cookies
To all my fellow cookie monster friends- at under 100 calories per cookie and baked with wholesome ingredients, there’s no need to feel guilty gobbling up more than a few skinny sugar cookies! So quick and easy too… the very best healthier vegan sugar cookie is just minutes away!
Sugar cookies are a staple this time of year. Every holiday season my kids and I enjoy rolling out sugar cookie dough, stealing bites of the buttery goodness, pressing our favorite holiday shapes into the dough and then baking up the yummy cookies. Considering I have such difficulty keeping my hands out of the cookie jar… I’ve been wanting to create skinny sugar cookies, that still have that lovely buttery delicious flavor. This is not an easy feat, but this year I’ve totally done it!
I developed my skinny sugar cookies using some very special ingredients to give them a tender chewy texture and that classic buttery taste. The most important ingredient for sugar cookies is the flour and my go-to for practically any dessert is Bob’s Red Mill Organic Whole Wheat Flour.
I’m sure most of you are familiar with Bob’s Red Mill products and if you’re not, head over to the Bob’s Red Mill website to peruse the wide variety of merchandise available. They offer pretty much any flour under the sun, from whole wheat flour to brown rice flour and everything in between, as well as many other food products.
Bob’s Red Mill Organic Whole Wheat Flour is my pick when it comes to baking breads, muffins, bars, cookies and other sweets. I especially appreciate that it is is stone ground from organic hard red wheat and has all of the nutritious bran and germ still intact. Nothing is lost in the process of grinding the flour. It’s a full-flavored flour containing vitamins, minerals and protein.
My family can throw back quite a few of these, but we also love to share with our friends. Decorated sugar cookies are also perfect for holiday cookie exchanges. As an added plus, this recipe is simple enough your children can really get in on the fun! See below the recipe for a step-by-step in pictures.
Skinny Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Organic Whole Wheat Flour + 1-2 tablespoons more, as needed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup*
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon butter extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl.
- If the dough is wet and sticky, knead in additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time until you have a soft dough that is not sticky. If dough is too dry, add a little more oil. (I did not need to add additional flour or oil)**
- Roll dough out, on a floured surface, to ¼ inch thickness and cut with cookie cutters. Continue this process- rerolling out dough and cutting with cookie cutters, until you have used up all of the dough.
- Transfer cookies to a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for about 8-10 minutes.
- If desired, melt about 1/8 cup mini chocolate chips and decorate cooled cookies with melted chocolate and sprinkles.
**my dough seemed a little crumbly at first, but I just kept mixing until all ingredients were incorporated and it begins to hold together.
If you prefer to bake with whole wheat flour, try these other recipes!
Something to think about….
What treats are you planning to bake this season? Have you tried baking with Bob’s Red Mill Organic Whole Wheat Flour? Be sure to grab this Bob’s Red Mill coupon to get $1.00 off any Bob’s Red Mill product!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.