Whole Grain Strawberry Banana Bread
Strawberries and bananas make the most delicious pairing in this lovely Whole Grain Strawberry Banana Bread. I scored quite the carton of strawberries at Costco this past weekend and I’m rewarding myself with bread. And this is why I always make sure to have ripened bananas on hand.
Please forgive me while overload you with yummy healthy bread recipes, like the Zucchini Banana Bread with protein that I shared last week and the Whole Grain Strawberry Banana Bread that I’ve made for you today. Let’s just say I’m on a bit of a banana bread kick! So, maybe you won’t have to look at another dip or hummus creation for awhile… I know that was getting a bit out of control.
Plump, juicy and perfectly sweet… strawberries are my favorite of all berries. And you guys know how I feel about bananas. They might just be my favorite baking ingredient. They naturally sweeten your favorite baked good and work great as an oil replacement to keep the calories down.
The real reason for this scrumptious Strawberry Banana Bread has something to do with my Rhubarb Banana Bread getting off the charts views, lately. I’m super anxious to remake the rhubarb bread- For one, the pictures are horrible and I really want to reshoot and update the bread recipe. For two, the bread is a family favorite and I’m totally craving it! Unfortunately, the two places I grocery shopped this week, Costco and Trader Joe’s, did not have rhubarb in stock.
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour (spoon in and level with knife for best measurements) (all-purpose, whole wheat and whole grain spelt will all work.)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana, about 2 medium bananas
- ⅓ cup honey (I use raw local honey) (brown sugar or maple syrup would probably work well too)
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and prepare an 8x4" loaf pan* with a natural cooking spray.
- Whisk all dry ingredients, flour through cinnamon, in a large mixing bowl.
- Create a well in the center of dry ingredients. In the well, beat and whisk eggs. Mix vanilla, banana and honey in with the egg.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet until just combined. Gently fold in strawberries. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until loaf is golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool bread in pan for at least 10 minutes. Loosen sides with a knife and remove from pan.
*An 8x4" loaf pan is slightly smaller than the typical 9x5" loaf pan.
*Alternatively, this recipe could be used to make muffins. I'm not sure how many it would make and cook time should be shortened to about 20-25 minutes. A reader commented on FB to share that this recipe made delicious muffins and their cook time was 28 minutes.