Checking Items Off of my Fall Bucket List with Healthy Applesauce Bread
I’m checking things off of my Fall bucket list left and right! I’ve made pumpkin cookies, decorated for Fall, created a new chili recipe, bought new riding boots and made applesauce bread….. which brings us to today’s recipe. I’ve wanted to make applesauce bread ever since trying it at my grandparents’ house several years ago.
With the apples and spices, this applesauce bread seemed very much like a Fall food, so that’s why I included it in my Fall bucket list. If you’re not a big fan of pumpkin or pumpkin bread (blasphemy) this recipe might just be for you. Apples are so juicy and wonderful tasting this time of year. I used my favorite apple for this recipe…. a large, crisp and predominantly sweet Honeycrisp apple.
Healthy Whole Wheat Applesauce Bread
- 1 large, 1 cup apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 1 tsp cinnamon + 1/4 tsp
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup honey + 1 tbsp.
- 1.5 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1.5 cup whole wheat pastry flour, spelt or whole wheat
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of all spice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Prepare a 9 x 5 loaf pan with cooking spray and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine grated apple, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1 tbsp. honey and lemon juice in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl and combine all wet ingredients and sugar in a medium bowl and beat together.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and blend on low. Don't overmix. Fold in apples.
- Pour mixture into loaf pan and bake at 350 for 55 minutes. Cool for about 20 mins before slicing.
This bread is so moist, that you don’t need to top it with anything. It’s lovely right out of the oven with a cup of coffee. But if you must, it also pairs wonderfully with nut butter, Greek yogurt or pumpkin butter. Believe me, I know this for a fact because I’ve tried all three options!
Something to think about….
Do you have a Fall Bucket List? If so, have you checked anything off of it yet?
Have you had applesauce bread before?
What’s your favorite type of apple? I pretty much stick with Gala, Pink Lady or Honeycrisp apples.
Have a super wonderful weekend and go make a Fall food!