Chicken Salad with Grapes
I absolutely love Chicken Salad with Grapes! And this chicken salad recipe is the ultimate chicken salad sandwich! It’s perfect for a hearty lunch, parties, and special events. There’s a reason everyone loves chicken salad sandwiches – they’re packed with flavor, texture and color. This easy salad can be made with leftover grilled chicken, baked chicken or rotisserie chicken. Serve it up on lettuce or a croissant roll for a fancy touch!
Chicken salad is the perfect recipe for lunch or a light summer dinner, and takes hardly any effort to mix all together. I like to use a rotisserie chicken, so I have zero amount of cooking to do for this meal. I just shred up the chicken, mix in all the other ingredients, and let it chill until we’re ready to eat. It’s a great make-ahead dish and is delicious on buttery croissants or just served on sandwich bread or in a tortilla wrap. We even love to enjoy it with crackers!
I know there are tons of chicken salad recipes out there, but this one is by far the best I’ve ever tasted!
This easy chicken salad recipe comes from Joanna Gaines and it is sure to please! It’s sweet, savory and satisfying. Since visiting Magnolia Table in Waco, and enjoying the BEST chicken salad recipe for lunch, I’ve been dying to recreate it. When my sister let me borrow The Magnolia Table cookbook from Joanna Gaines, I was super excited to see the classic chicken salad recipe inside. There are many other recipes in the cookbook that I’m looking forward to making, but up first is this easy chicken salad with grapes recipe!
Joanna’s Chicken Salad Ingredients
Now, let me tell you, this chicken salad is really perfect! But chicken salad can easily be changed up to include all of your favorite ingredients. Feel free to add pickles and fresh dill for a little tang. The Magnolia Table chicken salad recipe calls for the following ingredients:
- Shredded rotisserie chicken
- Red grapes
- Green onion or chives
- Chopped pecans
For me, this recipe couldn’t get any more delicious! Make this for your next lunch gathering, shower, barbecue or for the tastiest lunch!
How to Make this Recipe
Let me show you how easy it is to whip up this tasty lunch!
Once you have all of your ingredients out and ready to go, chicken salad is as easy as stirring them together in a large bowl.
- Prep the ingredients. Gather all of the ingredients and start by shredding the chicken, slicing the grapes, chopping the pecans, and slicing the green onion (or chives).
- Stir salad ingredients. Add all ingredients along with the mayonnaise and salt & pepper to a large mixing bowl, and stir to combine.
- Serve and enjoy! Now, you’ve got yourself a nutritious, delicious lunch! I told you this chicken salad recipe was easy! And it’s full of flavor, quick to make and super filling with all that protein!
Extra Chicken Salad Sandwich Filling Ingredients
Chicken salad sandwiches are great with just the bread and salad, but I especially love to add extra ingredients for irresistible flavor and texture. Plus, many of these ideas also add nutrients. Here are some sandwich add-ons to try:
- Add sliced pickles for extra crunch.
- I’m always a fan of avocado slices on my sandwich.
- Top the salad with lettuce for fresh flavor.
- Adding sprouts or pea shoots is a great way to add color, texture and nutrients.
- Bacon slices make any sandwich more delicious! Wouldn’t you agree?!
- Add a slice of fresh juicy tomato. This is a must for me when we have garden tomatoes!
There are so many options for ways to serve chicken salad with grapes! Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Sandwich. Chicken salad is traditionally served on sandwich bread and even though it’s super simple, it’s pretty darn delicious. You can even jazz it up by serving it on croissants or a toasted bagel. When I ordered the chicken salad sandwich at The Magnolia Table it was served the BEST way, in my opinion, on croissants!
- In lettuce cups. If you’re looking to keep things really light and low-carb, filling lettuce cups with chicken salad is a great choice. So fresh and crisp!
- With crackers or chips. My kids love to spoon chicken salad onto buttery crackers and I have to admit, it’s incredible. You can also use the chicken salad as a dip and dip crackers or chips in it.
- Wrapped in a tortilla. Spoon a serving of chicken salad in a wrap or tortilla for a chicken salad wrap.
This salad is fabulous as-is, but you can easily swap out the ingredients to customize the flavors to your tastes.
- Different fruit. If you don’t have grapes, try adding chopped apple, raisins or dried cranberries. You could also just omit the grapes.
- Nuts. This recipe calls for chopped pecans, but you can use other types of nuts like almonds, walnuts, or cashews. Not a fan of nuts? They are completely optional.
- Low-fat chicken salad. Replace the mayo with mashed avocado and sour cream for an avocado chicken salad. Or for a low fat version, replace some or all of the mayo with Greek yogurt.
- Chicken. Rotisserie chicken is GREAT in this chicken salad, but you can also use any leftover cooked chicken you have on-hand. Canned chicken works too.
- BBQ chicken salad. Make BBQ chicken salad by adding 2-3 tablespoons of your favorite BBQ sauce in place of some of the mayonnaise and leave out the grapes and pecans.
- Seasoning. Add spices to this recipe to add different flavors like garlic, paprika, curry powder, or even mustard. Try chipotle seasoning and lime juice or a dash of cayenne pepper with pickled jalapeños for a spicy version.
Tips For Recipe Success
This salad recipe is super easy, but here are a few tips so that it turns out perfect every time!
- This recipe takes a total time of 10 minutes to whip up, but I like to refrigerate it for at least an hour to give the flavors a chance to come together.
- I don’t recommend freezing chicken salad because the mayo will separate when defrosting. You can freeze the cooked chicken, then just defrost it in the refrigerator the day before you want to make the salad, and add the other fresh ingredients the day of.
- This is a great recipe to make-ahead at the beginning of the week for grab-and-go lunches, and my go-to when I have a busy schedule ahead. You’ll never want to go back to store-bought chicken salad again!
How Long Does Chicken Salad Last?
This healthy chicken salad with grapes is so tasty there probably won’t be leftovers! But if there is, the chicken salad will keep fresh in the fridge for up to about 4 days. That means, this recipe totally works for meal prep! Store the salad in an airtight container for best results. Give it a good stir when you’re ready to serve it.
Don’t leave it out at room temperature for more than two hours for food safety.
See How to Make Healthy Chicken Salad Below
If you need more healthy lunch ideas like me, this recipe is a must try. I hope you enjoy this flavorful, classic recipe!
More Delicious Salads:
Looking for more easy salad recipes to whip up? Try these other favorites!
If you try this easy chicken salad recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Chicken Salad with Grapes
- 5 cups shredded chicken from rotisserie chicken
- 1 1/2 cups halved red grapes
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, optional
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion, light and dark green parts or chives
- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise (preferably Hellman's)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 12 small croissants, sliced horizontally in half
- 6 butter lettuce leaves
- Combine the chicken, grapes, pecans (if using), and green onion in a large bowl and toss to combine. Add the mayonnaise and salt and pepper to taste and stir until well coated.
- Serve immediately or cover and chill until cold, 1 to 2 hours. Taste for seasoning. Serve on croissants with lettuce leaves. Store chicken salad in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @kimscravings on Instagram and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy and delicious recipes straight to your inbox!
This recipe was originally published October 2019. It was republished with new content August 2021.
I’ve always enjoyed chicken salad (with grapes, too) but I have never tried it in a croissant. This recipe turned out incredible!
I used red onion instead of green/spring! SOO yummy! enjoy y’all
So happy you enjoyed!
Great recipe. Most chicken salad recipes use celery. I didn’t have any so I looked for one that didn’t require it. I love the green onion in chicken salad. I toasted the pecans which also added to the flavor. Great recipe.
Yay! So glad that you enjoyed and thanks so much for your comment!
Such a quick and easy lunch to prepare and enjoy! The whole family enjoyed this salad and I’ll definitely be making again!
I made this chicken salad and it is delicious! The only difference in mine is I added tiny mandarin oranges to mine. I served with small croissants, lettuce leaves’ and ritz crackers for those who wanted simply on their plate! Also a plate of sliced tomatoes since it is summer and fresh garden tomatoes are wonderful!
Yum! Sounds delicious! So glad you enjoyed!
I am a HUGE fan of grapes in my chicken salad. I love this recipe and can’t easily visit Waco, TX anytime soon so I’m glad you’ve shared it.
Chicken salad is one of my favorites and I gave your recipe a go over the weekend. It was so good! Will be making again!
What a great recipe to use up that leftover rotisserie chicken! So quick and easy to make. Thanks so much for sharing 🙂
Amazing combination and best to go with anything. It was perfectly creamy and delicious! Will definitely be making again!
Loving that you put grapes in the chicken salad. It was such a wonderful recipe for a weekday lunch!
This was so delicious and perfect for an easy lunch!
I added diced celery . My brother wouldn’t let me let it sit or make a sandwich, he kept forking it out of the bowl!
That’s awesome! So glad y’all enjoyed!
FYI: Hellmann’s mayonnaise is known as Best Foods west of the Rockies. Loved this chicken salad recipe! Simple and delicious!
This quickly became a favorite at my house! Yummy!