Chicken Salad with Grapes
I absolutely love Chicken Salad with Grapes! And this chicken salad recipe is the ultimate chicken salad sandwich! It’s perfect for a hearty lunch, parties, and special events. There’s a reason everyone loves chicken salad sandwiches – it’s packed with flavor, texture and color. This easy salad can be made with leftover grilled chicken, baked chicken or rotisserie chicken. Serve it up on lettuce or a croissant roll for a fancy touch!
This easy chicken salad recipe comes from Joanna Gaines and it is sure to please! It’s sweet, savory and satisfying. Since visiting Magnolia Table in Waco, I’ve been dying to recreate the BEST chicken salad recipe I’ve ever enjoyed. When my sister let me borrow The Magnolia Table cookbook from Joanna Gaines, I was super excited to see the classic chicken salad recipe inside. There are tons of other recipes I’m looking forward to making, but up first is this easy chicken salad with grapes recipe!
Joanna’s Chicken Salad Ingredients
Now, let me tell you, this chicken salad is really perfect! But chicken salad can easily be changed up to include all of your favorite ingredients. Feel free to add pickles and fresh dill for a little tang. The Magnolia Table chicken salad recipe calls for the following ingredients:
- Shredded rotisserie chicken
- Red grapes
- Green onion or chives
- Chopped pecans
For me, this recipe couldn’t get any more delicious! Make this for your next lunch gathering, shower, barbecue or for the tastiest lunch!
How To Serve Chicken Salad With Grapes
- When I ordered the chicken salad sandwich at The Magnolia Table it was served the BEST way, in my opinion! My favorite way to enjoy chicken salad is on croissants!
- Chicken salad is also so good served as a dip. Especially, with Ritz crackers. Trust me! You can serve the chicken salad in a serving bowl with crackers, veggies, and sliced apples.
- If you’re looking to keep lunch light, serve the chicken salad on top of a bed of greens, lettuce cups or thinly sliced apples.
Chicken Salad Variations
- If you don’t have grapes, try adding chopped apple, raisins or dried cranberries.
- This recipe calls for chopped pecans, but you can use other types of nuts like almonds, walnuts, or cashews.
- Replace the mayo with mashed avocado and sour cream for an avocado chicken salad. Or for a low fat version, replace some or all of the mayo with Greek yogurt.
- Rotisserie chicken is GREAT in this chicken salad, but you can also use any leftover cooked chicken you have on-hand. Canned chicken works too.
- Make BBQ chicken salad by adding 2-3 tablespoons of your favorite BBQ sauce in place of some of the mayonnaise and leave out the grapes and pecans.
- Add spices to this recipe to add different flavors like garlic, paprika, curry powder, or even mustard. Try chipotle seasoning and lime juice or a dash of cayenne pepper with pickled jalapeños for a spicy version.
Tips For Making Chicken Salad With Grapes
- This recipe takes a total time of 10 minutes to whip up, but I like to refrigerate it for at least an hour to give the flavors a chance to come together.
- Chicken salad will last refrigerated for about 4 days, wrapped tightly with plastic wrap or in a covered container. Don’t leave it out at room temperature for more than two hours for food safety.
- I don’t recommend freezing chicken salad because the mayo will separate when defrosting. You can freeze the cooked chicken, then just defrost it in the refrigerator the day before you want to make the salad, and add the other fresh ingredients the day of.
- This is a great recipe to make-ahead at the beginning of the week for grab-and-go lunches, and my go-to when I have a busy schedule ahead. You’ll never want to go back to store-bought chicken salad again!
More Delicious Salads:
If you try this easy chicken salad recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
- 5 cups shredded chicken from rotisserie chicken
- 1 1/2 cups halved red grapes
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans,, optional
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion,, light and dark green parts or chives
- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise, (preferably Hellman's)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 12 small croissants,, sliced horizontally in half
- 6 butter lettuce leaves
- Combine the chicken, grapes, pecans (if using), and green onion in a large bowl and toss to combine. Add the mayonnaise and salt and pepper to taste and stir until well coated.
- Serve immediately or cover and chill until cold, 1 to 2 hours. Taste for seasoning. Serve on croissants with lettuce leaves.
- Store chicken salad in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to four days.