Salmon Burgers With Avocado
It’s grilling season, guys, and delicious salmon burgers with avocado and homemade ranch are the BEST way to celebrate! They’re easy, tasty and super healthy. Serve them in hamburger buns or with a salad!
This recipe was originally published on June 9, 2017. It was republished on July 21, 2019 with updated photos and recipe tips.
Salmon burgers with avocado and a yummy dressing are a nutritious protein-packed option for grilling season. When the weather starts to turn warm, and it’s time to grill burgers, I love swapping the classic beef burger with this lighter yet super flavorful alternative.
When I was experimenting with creating a homemade salmon patty mixture, I really wanted to make sure that the salmon patties would hold together well on the grill. I totally succeeded with this combo of ingredients! No crumbly mess! And the avocado, jalapeño, lime and garlic all meld together with the delicious meat from the salmon for next level deliciousness. Oh and that creamy homemade ranch topping on these burgers is totally next level. Fire up the grill!
How to Make Salmon Burgers
These flavorful salmon avocado burgers paired with homemade ranch sauce are officially a new fave. You better believe, I’ll be making them all summer long. And with a few simple ingredients, they come together so easily.
- Start by removing the skin of the salmon with a sharp knife. Then, either chop the salmon up or use a food processor for quick preparation and minimal mess. You can also use a high speed blender as well. I like to keep chunks of salmon in the mix for extra texture, and not make it an entirely smooth puree.
- Now, place the chopped salmon in a large bowl with all of the other ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Make into 6 salmon patties. Good news is these 1/2-inch salmon patties don’t drastically shrink on the grill like beef or turkey burgers.
- Salmon patties cook up quick. On a medium to medium-high grill, cook for about 4 minutes on one side and 2-3 minutes on the other side. Definitely keep a close eye on these burgers. If they’re on the grill too long, they will dry out and won’t be near as wonderful.
Do I Have to Grill Salmon Burgers?
If you don’t have access to a grill, no worries. These salmon patties will work great cooked up in a heated skillet as well. Simply heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet and cook salmon patties for about 4 minutes on one side and 3-4 minutes on the other side. They will feel firm in the center when cooked through.
Can I Use Canned Salmon for Salmon Patties?
I really love the texture of these fresh salmon patties, but if you’re in a pinch, try canned salmon. Use a 14.5 ounce can of wild salmon for this recipe. Canned wild salmon is less expensive than fresh or frozen wild salmon and it’s just as healthy.
Salmon Burger Sauce
There are a variety of sauces that you can top your salmon burgers with, and the homemade ranch that I used for my burger is a great choice! It’s super tasty, creamy and pairs so well with all of the flavors in the salmon patty. I mean ranch is good with almost everything, right?! This sauce is a simple mix of mayo, coconut milk, garlic powder and basil. It’s versatile in that it can also be used as a veggie dip, a topping on a salad or used as a sauce for so many different sandwiches and wraps.
Do Salmon Burgers Freeze Well?
They sure do! These salmon patties freeze great, making dinner a breeze. Once patties are frozen in a single layer on the baking sheet, simply place them in a ziplock baggie. You can also individually wrap each one, if desired. Defrost overnight before grilling or pan frying.
How to Serve Salmon Burgers
I love serving these beauties with my homemade ranch dressing (recipe below) and fresh greens. And we always have roasted dill red potatoes or sweet potato fries on the side. I’ve also enjoyed them, along with the ranch dressing, chopped up over a salad of fresh greens and other veggies. You can serve these salmon burgers anyway you like and with any favorite additional fixings that you enjoy to make your salmon burgers even tastier. Some other options are crisp bibb lettuce, sliced red onions, creamy avocado, and ripe tomatoes. For those looking for a delicious alternative to boring burgers, these homemade salmon patties are a game changer!
More Burger Recipes You’re Sure to Love!
If you try these salmon burgers, let me know! Leave a comment and if you loved them as much as I do, be sure to give them a five star rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking up! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Happy summertime grilling, friends!
Salmon Burgers With Avocado
- 1 pound salmon fillet
- 1/2 cup Panko style breadcrumbs or almond meal for Paleo and Whole30 approved
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 large ripe avocado, cut into chunks
- 1 minced jalapeño pepper, remove seeds for less heat, (optional, but recommended)
- 1/2 lime,, juiced
- 1 garlic clove,, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- pinch of chili pepper flakes, (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons mayo, (for Whole30 use Primal Kitchen brand)
- 1/4 cup canned full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, plus more to taste as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil, plus more to taste as needed
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Remove skin from salmon fillet and dice salmon or pulse it in a food processor a couple of times.
- Add salmon and remaining ingredients to a bowl and toss to combine. Do not over mix.
- Form into 6 patties.
- Heat grill pan, BBQ or skillet to medium to medium high.
- Cook 4 minutes on one side and 2-3 on the next side or until completely cooked through and center feels slightly firm.
- These cook fast - careful not to over cook or they will become dry.
- Serve burgers with dressing on a bun, in a salad or on its own. Enjoy!
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Taste and add more seasonings as needed.