Low Calorie Mexican Cornbread Muffins
These Low Calorie Mexican Cornbread Muffins are sweet, savory and perfectly moist. Ready in 25 minutes to enjoy with your favorite soup or chili! (vegetarian + freezer friendly)
It’s soup season, so it’s time to bust out the cornbread and chow down! Cornbread is one of my favorite types of bread because it’s extremely easy to make and it pairs well with so many foods. I love these lighter cornbread muffins with chili, soup, jambalaya and even just by themselves as a tasty snack.
They’re not like regular breads that require you to knead it and let it rise; they’re more like a muffin or cake that just requires you to mix it together and bake. Easy. Peazy. Just how I like it.
HOW TO MAKE LOW CALORIE MEXICAN CORNBREAD MUFFINS
I know that baking around dinnertime can be a little overwhelming, but these are so quick + easy and sooooo worth it! Start by mixing the two dry ingredients in a small bowl. You’ll need 17 ounces of corn muffin mix. I just use 2 boxes of Jiffy corn muffin mix, which works perfectly.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all other ingredients – corn, low-fat cottage cheese, milk, eggs, canned green chilies and chopped red bell pepper.
Now add the dry muffin mixes to the large bowl with all of the wet ingredients. Mix everything together really well.
Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to spoon muffin mix batter into prepared muffin pan. You should have 20 muffins.
Bake your muffins for 25 minutes and you’ll have the perfect compliment to all of your chili and soup recipes this winter!
TIPS & TRICKS
- Because this recipe makes 20 muffins, if you have two muffin pans, use them both to make the whole recipe at one time.
- You can use muffin tin liners, but I prefer to spray the muffin cavities with cooking spray and not worry with the liners. It will make the muffins nice and crisp on the outsides.
- These cornbread muffins can be stored at room temperature for a 1-2 days; then store in the fridge or in the freezer. To freeze the muffins place them in a large baggie. This will prevent the cornbread from losing moisture and drying out. When you’re ready to eat, let it thaw and then reheat for 30 seconds in the microwave.
ARE LOW CALORIE MEXICAN CORNBREAD MUFFINS SPICY?
This recipe is not spicy at all, to me. And my kids eat these up without a problem. If you are worried about too much spice, simply omit the cayenne pepper. If you do want a little kick to the muffins add a chopped jalapeño with the seeds.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH MEXICAN CORNBREAD MUFFINS
- Slow Cooker Charro Beans
- Chile Lime Shrimp Fajita Bowl
- Creamy Pumpkin Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Pumpkin Black Bean Chili
- 2 packages (8-1/2 oz. each) corn muffin mix (I used 2 boxes Jiffy cornbread muffin mix)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne) *
- 1 (11 oz.) can corn, drained
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup milk (I used almond milk, but any variety will work)
- 2 eggs
- 1 (4 oz.) can green chilies
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- Heat oven to 400ºF. Line a muffin pan with paper liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray. (I prefer to use non-stick cooking spray so the muffins get nice and crisp on the edges.)
- Mix muffin mixes and ground red pepper in small bowl. Combine remaining ingredients in large bowl. Add muffin mixes to the large bowl; mix all ingredients well.
- Spoon into 20 muffin cups, adding 1/4 cup batter to each.
- Bake 25 min. or until golden brown. Enjoy!