Creamy Pumpkin Chicken Tortilla Soup
Delight your tastebuds with hearty comforting Creamy Pumpkin Chicken Tortilla Soup! Made with pumpkin puree and Greek yogurt, so it’s thick and velvety. This tortilla soup is also quite the flavor explosion- whipped up with guilt-free delicious ingredients.
If you’re worried about how tortilla soup might taste with the addition of pumpkin, which is usually reserved for sweet recipes, trust me on this and give it a try! There isn’t an obvious pumpkin flavoring, but the pumpkin puree gives the soup a nice consistency and texture.
Many tortilla soup recipes include instructions for creating and adding tortilla strips. I like to keep things easy and simply use my favorite healthier tortilla chips from Food Should Taste Good. For this particular soup, the Sweet Potato Tortilla Chips were delish. I adore that satisfying crunch from the tortilla chips combined with richly flavored seasonings and tender vegetables. Yum! Yum!
Bam! Quintessential comfort food ready in 30 minutes- perfect for cooking up on a cold wintery afternoon! Oh and the leftovers are even more delicious, a wonderful option for reheating and enjoying throughout the week.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken breast
- 1 (32 oz.) carton reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin filling)
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans
- ½ cup frozen or canned corn kernels
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt (I used a 5.3 oz. container of Chobani.)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin or Adobo all-purpose seasoning
- 1-2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- Optional garnish- finely chopped fresh cilantro, diced avocado, shredded cheddar cheese and tortilla chips
- Heat olive oil in large dutch oven or pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery and carrots, stirring and cooking for about 15 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add chicken, chicken broth, pumpkin, yogurt, cumin (or other preferred seasoning), chili powder, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Stir to combine. Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer about 10 minutes. Taste and season accordingly with additional seasonings as needed.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro, avocado, cheese and tortilla chips, if desired.
Check out a few other similar recipes, you’re sure to love!
Something to think about….
Have you ever tried pumpkin in a savory recipe? How about in a soup or chili?