Crockpot BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Albertsons. All opinions are 100% mine.
Crockpot BBQ Chicken is guaranteed to be a family favorite! To make this slow cooker BBQ chicken, a mix of zesty Italian dressing and BBQ sauce is added to the crock pot with chicken breasts. The chicken is cooked until tender and then easily shredded. We love our pulled chicken stuffed in baked sweet potatoes with plenty of cheddar cheese. But there are so many tasty serving options! Change things up and serve it on sandwich buns, over a salad, on top of pizza or taco-style!
With less than 10 minutes of prep, this recipe is perfect to add to the slow cooker before heading out for the day. You’ll come home to a crockpot full of tender, flavorful slow cooker barbecue chicken.
My family absolutely loves this simple, yet satisfying shredded bbq chicken. It’s so delicious, I personally think it’s the best crockpot bbq chicken. And it makes for such an easy and versatile dinner option – it can be used in so many different ways. It’s a great option for a huge family dinner, for game day or even parties. I make this recipe at least once a month!
Ingredients For Crockpot BBQ Chicken
With just 3 simple ingredients, you’re well on your way to a delicious meal!
- Boneless, skinless chicken. I always have chicken breast in my freezer or fridge, so that’s what I typically use. Chicken thighs are a great choice as well, and most of the time they actually cook up more tender and flavorful than regular chicken breast. My preferred variety of chicken for any chicken recipe is Open Nature® Air Chilled Chicken. You can find more info about Open Nature® Air Chilled Chicken, below.
- Zesty Italian dressing. This gives the chicken an amazing flavor and is a delicious counterpart to the BBQ sauce.
- BBQ sauce. You can use any kind of BBQ sauce you like. You could even try making homemade BBQ sauce.
If you’re using this crockpot BBQ chicken to stuff sweet potatoes (highly recommend), you’ll also need 4 medium sweet potatoes and cheddar cheese. For even more deliciousness, try adding my favorite coleslaw over the top!
Open Nature Air Chilled Chicken
What is air chilled chicken?
When chickens are processed, they need to be cooled. The conventional method is immersing the chickens in a cold-water bath. Air-chilled chickens are individually processed in a series of cold chambers with purified air. Because there’s no retained water, the result is more intensely flavored chicken.
Other benefits to Open Nature Air Chilled Chicken:
- No Antibiotics EVER
- 100% Vegetarian Fed
- No Added Hormones or Steroids
Open Nature® offers minimally processed, high quality products for everyone in the family, including plant-based, high protein, and gluten-free options. I shopped at Albertsons, but you can also find Open Nature products at the Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Albertsons, Safeway, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Randalls, Shaw’s Supermarket, Star Market, Tom Thumb and Vons.
Albertsons also offers Grocery Delivery and DriveUp & Go™ for convenient ways to shop!
How To Make Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
This recipe might be one of the easiest on my site… and one of the tastiest! Below, you’ll find a rundown of the basic instructions and then you can find the full BBQ pulled chicken recipe at the bottom of the page.
- Place chicken in the slow cooker.
- Pour Italian dressing and BBQ sauce evenly over the top of the chicken. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-7 hours, or until the chicken shreds easily with a fork.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken from the slow cooker, and shred or chop. With a sieve or fine mesh strainer (like this one), strain the cooking liquid into a large measuring cup or bowl. Place the sauce and the chicken back into the warming crock pot until ready to serve.
- Serve in sweet potatoes or on buns or another preferred way!
Tips For The Perfect Barbecue Chicken
- Chicken breasts and chicken thighs both work fine for this recipe. You could even mix things up and use beef and pork for a little different flavor.
- Use any favorite brand of BBQ sauce, or if you have the time, make your own!
- This pulled chicken recipe feeds about 4 adults. If you are feeding a crowd, you can easily double or triple the recipe.
- If you only have frozen chicken available, that will work in a pinch. Cook the chicken on high rather than low heat, so that it comes up to the appropriate temperature at a faster rate.
Ways To Serve Crockpot BBQ Chicken
Besides the stuffed sweet potatoes that are featured, there are so many ways to make this pulled chicken into a meal!
- Sandwiches. On a toasted bun, add a scoop of BBQ chicken and any other toppings you prefer.
- Main course. Serve chicken with a variety of sides, like macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, potato salad, beans or whatever other sides you have available.
- Salad. For a lighter meal option, make a BBQ chicken salad.
- Nachos. Use leftover chicken to make BBQ chicken nachos along with cheese and other toppings.
- Pizza. Make your own pizza with leftover BBQ chicken, extra BBQ sauce, shredded cheese, and other toppings.
How To Store, Freeze & Reheat BBQ Pulled Chicken
Storage. Any leftover BBQ chicken can be stored in an airtight bag or container and kept in the refrigerator for up to about 4 days.
Freezing. Allow the pulled chicken to cool completely before transferring it to a freezer safe bag or container. It will stay good in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy, thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
Reheating. To reheat the leftover chicken, you can place it in the slow cooker and place it on “warm” to warm it back up. Alternatively, you can simply reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop.
This pulled chicken recipe is honestly one of my favorite meals. It always comes out so tender, flavorful and delicious. It’s amazing stuffed in sweet potatoes or even regular baked potatoes, in a sandwich, on pizza, for tacos, or to simply eat as-is with some chips and potato salad. Using a crockpot makes it such an easy meal too! This one is definitely a crowd pleaser!
More Slow Cooker Recipes You’ll Love
If you try this slow cooker pulled chicken, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Crockpot BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighes , (I like to use Open Nature® Air Chilled Chicken)
- 1 (16oz) bottle Zesty Italian salad dressing
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, skins scrubbed clean
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Arrange the chicken in the bottom of your slow cooker. Pour the Italian dressing and the BBQ sauce evenly over top. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-7 hours, or until the chicken shreds easily with a fork.
- During the last hour of cooking the chicken, preheat the oven to 425°F. Rub the potatoes with olive oil, sprinkle them with salt and pepper, and prick them with a fork. Place them on a foil lined baking sheet and cook the potatoes for 45 to 60 minutes – until their skin is crispy and sticking one with a fork meets no resistance.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker, and shred or chop. With a sieve or fine mesh strainer (like this one), strain the cooking liquid into a large measuring cup or bowl. Place the sauce and the chicken back into the warming crock pot until ready to serve.
- To serve: slice the baked sweet potatoes lengthwise, and gently push the side inward to ‘plump’ up the insides of the cooked potato. Place 1/4 of the shredded BBQ chicken into the potato and immediately top with shredded cheddar (the heat of the chicken and potato will melt the cheese pretty quick). Drizzle with the strained BBQ sauce and serve immediately!