Chicken Sweet Potato Taco Chowder
Cue the jazz hands, people! Today we’re making a luscious, flavor-packed, rock-your-face-off Chicken Sweet Potato Taco Chowder! It’s rich and creamy without the need for any dairy! The secret is in the sweet potatoes!
How’s the weather where you are? Is it warming up yet?
If it’s still pretty chilly in your area, I have just the thing. If not, let’s pretend it’s rainy and cold and you’re in desperate need of something soul-warming.
How does chowder sound?
This soup is perfect for cozy, cold nights when you’re craving something hearty and comforting yet healthy.
Bonus? This recipe can be made in under 30 minutes using leftover mashed sweet potatoes and cooked chicken, or in your crockpot using fresh chicken and potatoes! Either way you make it, this recipe is sure to please your whole family!
You’ll just need a few simple ingredients likely lying around your pantry right now. Let’s do this!
I added Bone Broth Collagen from Vital Proteins to not only give this chowder a boost of protein, but also increase the nutrients in this healthy meal. Vital Proteins’ Bone Broth Collagen powder is unflavored and contains just one ingredient, making it the perfect addition to warm beverages, stews, soups, and more. Easily dissolvable and blendable, Bone Broth Collagen powder adds a nourishing amino acid profile, protein, and collagen to your diet without changing the flavor or texture of your food or drink.
Bone Broth Collagen has some amazing benefits! It contributes to a healthy digestive and immune system, encourages joint health and helps you maintain healthy skin. Hop on over to the Vital Proteins website to read more about the greatness of Bone Broth Collagen.
This easy peasy recipe yields 9 cups of deliciousness. That’s enough for 9 side-dish sized servings or about 4-5 big bowls! Pair it with your favorite Mexican main (anything from tacos to enchiladas to burritos) or a fresh salad for a delicious dinner that won’t disappoint.
Meal prepping? Make it in advance and enjoy for lunches or dinners all week long! It’s FABULOUS the next day and oh so flavorful!
I’m super smitten with this chowder. It’s:
& Perfect for chilly weather
This soup is ideal for evenings when you want something simple and healthy. As for the leftovers, yowza! I’m happily scarfing a leftover bowl of this Chicken Sweet Potato Taco Chowder while typing this, seriously! The flavors mingle and jingle and it’s just plain magic.
You should totally plan on snagging a bowl to take to work/school the next day and another to pair with a cheesy quesadilla for dinner. You can even stash a bowl or two in the freezer for heat and eat “fast food” without the fuss OR the sketchy ingredients.
It’s also a great use for rescuing all those broken tortilla chips at the bottom of the bag. Instead of tossing those crispity crunchity crumbs, use them as a tasty topper!
If you try this recipe, let us know what you think! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #kimscravings on Instagram! We’d love to see what you come up with.
Chicken Sweet Potato Taco Chowder
- 1.25 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (or 3 cups cooked chicken or turkey breast shredded or diced)
- 2 lbs sweet potato, peeled and diced (or 4 cups mashed sweet potatoes)
- 1 15 oz can corn
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked or regular paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- 1/2 cup almond milk or milk of choice
- 2 scoops Vital Proteins Bone Broth Collagen
- To make with precooked chicken and mashed sweet potatoes: Add all ingredients except for milk and Bone Broth Collagen to a slow cooker and cook for 1-2 hours on high, or 2-3 hours on low, (just enough to warm ingredients through and allow flavors to meld together), then stir in milk and Bone Broth Collagen. Or, place everything except for milk and Bone Broth Collagen in a large pot and bring to a simmer over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and allow to warm through, then stir in milk and Bone Broth Collagen. Enjoy warm!
- To make with raw chicken and potatoes: Add the chicken, 2 cups chicken stock and sweet potatoes to the crockpot. Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low 6-8 hours, or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender. Remove sweet potatoes and place in a medium bowl. Puree sweet potatoes with an immersion blender until smooth, or whip with a hand held mixer. Remove chicken from crockpot and shred with two forks. Place chicken and whipped sweet potatoes back into the crockpot. Add everything else except for the milk and Bone Broth Collagen to the crockpot. Stir and let everything warm and meld together by cooking an additional 30 minutes on high heat. Stir in almond milk (or milk of choice) and Bone Broth Collagen, and enjoy!
Love this Chicken Sweet Potato Taco Chowder? Try other favorites!
Something to think about….
Have you tried Bone Broth Collagen from Vital Proteins?