Blueberry Banana Microwave Baked Oats
Blueberry Banana Microwave Baked Oats is a single serving of baked oatmeal made quick and easy in the microwave. The perfect recipe for those of you wanting to try the TikTok baked oats trend and great if you have little time for breakfast or anyone having to cook without a stove. Not only is this oatmeal recipe super simple to make, it’s nutritious and SO delicious. This new microwave mug recipe is a must try!
One of the many great things about this microwave baked oats recipe is there is no worry with dirtying a single pot or pan! Very little clean-up is definitely a win in my book. I also love that this recipe uses ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. There’s nothing expensive or hard-to-find in this recipe.
The texture is wonderful – more cakey than oaty. You get what I mean, right? And who doesn’t love cake? Cake for breakfast – now that’s something I can get down with! Once you learn how easy and delicious this baked oatmeal recipe is, you’ll never buy those instant oatmeal packets again!
TikTok baked oats
Have you seen the “new” baked oats trend taking TikTok by storm? I’m not even on TikTok, but I’ve still heard about the delicious cake-like baked oats that everyone is trying and loving. This blueberry banana baked oats recipe has been here since 2016, but I decided with the popularity baked oats are getting recently, it was time for a little update.
This particular baked oats recipe calls for unblended old-fashioned oats. However, the oats for TikTok baked oats are blended into oat flour and then baked in the oven. Just like this recipe, you can completely customize the TikTok recipe, get the health benefits of oats, and eat cake! I have some good news too. If want to try the TikTok oats with this recipe, go for it! Simply blend the oats or use oat flour and then combine with the other ingredients just like in the instructions.
If you like your oatmeal gooey, cook it for a little less time and it’s kind of like an underbaked oatmeal cookie. If you want your baked oats to be more like cake, cook the oatmeal a little longer and until it’s cake-like and fluffy. Yum!
ingredients for microwave baked oats
This microwave oatmeal recipe is simple and straightforward. Here’s what you’ll be needing:
- Oats. The base of this microwave oatmeal is made with old-fashioned rolled oats. Do not use steel cut oats as the texture will not be the same.
- Ground flax seed. Adds an extra boost of fiber.
- Egg. One egg will hold all of the ingredients together and give the oatmeal more of a cake-like texture.
- Milk. I like to use cashew or almond milk when I make oatmeal, but any milk will work.
- Banana. Just a bit of banana will help to naturally sweeten and add moisture to the oatmeal.
- Cinnamon. For cozy flavoring!
- Maple syrup. Adds sweetness and deliciousness to the oatmeal. You could use honey instead.
- Blueberries. The star of the show! There’s bursts of juicy blueberries in every bite. I always use fresh blueberries, but I’m sure frozen would work.
how to make baked oats in the microwave
Making this baked oats recipe couldn’t be easier! Here’s a quick rundown of the process, but for full instructions, reference the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Combine all ingredients except blueberries in a large microwave-safe mug (or small bowl) that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Then, stir in the blueberries. Tip: If you’re wanting to make the TikTok baked oats, be sure to blend your oats into flour or use oat flour before combining with the other ingredients.
- Microwave for 2-3 minutes.
- Your oatmeal is ready for you to enjoy! I like to add a splash of milk and some peanut or almond butter. Feel free to add a little maple syrup, if you’d like your oatmeal sweeter.
customize your oatmeal
One of my favorite things about making oatmeal recipes is that they are a canvas for whatever flavors you like.
- Fruits. Swap the blueberries for any other favorite fruit – apples, pears, peaches, or strawberries.
- Spices. Instead of cinnamon, try nutmeg, apple pie spice or allspice.
- Mix-ins. In addition to the fruit, try adding a handful of toasted shredded coconut, chocolate chips or nuts.
- Toppings. Top your oatmeal with maple syrup, peanut butter, yogurt or whipped cream.
I typically just eat the baked oats on their own – they are plenty satisfying. But this oatmeal recipe does pair well with a variety of breakfast sides. Below are some tasty options:
- Hash browns or breakfast potatoes
- Fresh fruit or fruit salad
- Bacon, sausage, or ham
can you serve baked oats cold?
Definitely! Truth time: sometimes I make this oatmeal the night before and store it in the fridge overnight. In the morning, after my workout, I eat it cold right out of the refrigerator. It’s surprisingly tasty that way, especially if you need a quick bite after a workout or an easy snack fix.
However you choose to enjoy it, just make sure you try this baked oats recipe soon. Your mornings will be better and brighter for it.
how to store baked oats
This microwave oatmeal recipe is best eaten straight away, but if you’d like to prep it ahead of time you can.
You can cover your mug with plastic wrap or foil and store it in the refrigerator for up to about 3 days.
You can also prep the batter the night before and microwave in the morning.
To Reheat: Microwave for 1 to 2 minutes and until heated through.
If you’re a fan of microwave mug recipes, you absolutely must try my Cinnamon Roll Microwave Mug Cake! It’s a major fan favorite and for good reason!
watch how to make this baked oats recipe
more healthy breakfast recipes
If you try this microwave baked oats recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Blueberry Banana Microwave Baked Oats is a single serving of baked oatmeal made quick and easy in the microwave. The perfect recipe for those of you wanting to try the TikTok baked oats trend and great if you have little time for breakfast or anyone having to cook without a stove. Not only is this oatmeal recipe super simple to make, it's nutritious and SO delicious. This new microwave mug recipe is a must try!
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats*
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk**
- 1/3 banana, mashed
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/3 cup fresh blueberries***
Spray a medium to large microwave-safe mug or small bowl with cooking spray and inside combine all ingredients except blueberries. Then, stir in blueberries.
Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes. (I checked my mug at 2 minutes and then let it cook 1 minute more.)
Stir in extra milk, yogurt or nut butter; if desired.
*Use certified gluten-free oats as needed. Quick cooking oats work too, if that's what you have available. To try the TikTok trend, blend the oats in a blender before combing them with the other ingredients.
**Use any milk product that you prefer.
***I have not tried using frozen blueberries, but I'm sure it would work just fine. You could also try using raspberries, diced strawberries or halved blackberries.
Photos by Molly at Yes to Yolks.
This recipe was originally published January 2016. It was updated with new content May 2021.