Almond Joy Protein Overnight Oatmeal
You only need about 5 minutes to prep this Almond Joy Protein Overnight Oatmeal and you’ll wake up to a delicious, healthy breakfast that’s packed with protein! (vegan + gluten-free)
If you’ve seen overnight oats all over the internet but thought it was weird and maybe even gross to eat cold oatmeal, give this recipe a try. You’re bound to jump on the overnight oatmeal train and never want to get off. They’re SO good!
Recipe was first published on 1/2/2017. On 5/14/19, the post was revised with helpful tips and republished.
HOW TO MAKE PROTEIN OVERNIGHT OATMEAL
Overnight oats are an easy way to meal-prep your breakfast for the week. You only need a few staple ingredients and then different add-ons to make a breakfast that tastes like dessert, but that’s actually healthy! This recipe makes two servings, so you can have breakfast ready-to-go for two mornings or an extra breakfast to share. Feel free to double this recipe, to have an easy, already-made breakfast for four mornings!
Use a medium mixing bowl to combine all of the ingredients. Use any favorite protein powder that you have on-hand. One of my go-to protein powder brands is Nuzest. Where do I even start with the greatness of this protein powder?! Nuzest protein powder has a great taste and texture. And not only is the flavor wonderful in oatmeal, but it also works so well in waffles and smoothies.
Nuzest is great for everyone – it’s 100% natural and is paleo, vegan and gluten-free friendly. It does not contain lactose, dairy, soy, nuts or GMOs. Nuzest is made from premium European Golden Peas, with an amino acid profile on par with whey, and over four times the protein content of meat, fish or eggs.
A ‘complete’ protein containing all 9 essential amino acids needed for growth and repair and delivering 20+ grams of protein per serve with only 90 calories for the Smooth Vanilla flavor, Nuzest is easy on your tummy and will keep feeling fuller longer.
Once you have all of the ingredients combined, you can divide the mixture between two mason jars or any other container that can be easily covered and refrigerated. It works best to refrigerate overnight, but give the oats at least two hours to soak up the liquid and plump up.
I personally like making my overnight oats in a mason jar or even an almost empty peanut butter jar, so my breakfast easily transports to school, work or anywhere I may be going. But feel free to pour them into a bowl and add your favorite toppings.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE OVERNIGHT OATMEAL
Before you give the almond joy overnight oats a try, you should know what classic ingredients make for the easiest overnight oats.
- Oats: Overnight oats work best made with old-fashioned rolled oats. Use gluten free as needed.
- Chia Seeds: Chia seeds help the overnight oats plump up and give them a thick pudding-like texture. They also add extra fiber and healthy omega-3’s, but feel free to leave them out if you aren’t a fan.
- Nut or seed butter: Almond butter, cashew butter, pumpkin butter, sunflower seed butter and or peanut butter add that savory-nutty flavor and a certain creaminess.
- Milk: Use your favorite milk you like or have on hand. For this dairy free version, we use almond milk, but coconut milk or cashew milk will work just fine.
- Fruit: I didn’t add any fruit to this particular recipe because I was sticking to the almond joy flavor, but fruit always works well in overnight oats. Add fruit that won’t get mushy directly into the mason jar or toss them on directly on top of the oats when you’re ready to eat.
- Sweetener: Leave out or use any sweetener you like – honey, maple syrup, a mashed ripe banana, dates or any low-carb liquid sweetener like monk fruit, stevia, SWERVE or erythritol will work.
- For a non-vegan version – Greek Yogurt – You can add a combination of milk and yogurt to make your oats extra creamy
DO I HAVE TO EAT OVERNIGHT OATS COLD OR CAN I HEAT THEM UP?
You can enjoy overnight oats both ways. Enjoy them cold straight from the fridge with more toppings or heat them up in the microwave in a heat-safe bowl or container for 1-2 minutes. Or you can even heat them up in a pot over the stove. Either way, I like to add a splash more of milk right before I dig in!
WHAT’S SO GREAT ABOUT OVERNIGHT OATMEAL?
This Almond Joy Protein Overnight Oatmeal is so good it’s like having dessert for breakfast! Besides the fact that it is ready in minutes and that it also has the perfect balance of protein, healthy fats, and whole grains, it’s just so darn tasty, which makes it the perfect breakfast for busy mornings!
Yes, this breakfast is beyond delicious, but I especially adore the fact that it’s so quick and easy to throw together. I always make a few batches Sunday evening, to enjoy through the work week. It cuts down on all of that early morning stress having a yummy breakfast ready to eat from the fridge. Typically, I don’t even take time to eat at home and instead just grab-n-go.
With various combination possibilities, overnight oatmeal is a meal that never feels boring or blah. Liven’ up your oatmeal bowl with a myriad of favorite toppings to keep your breakfast fresh, filling, and satisfying to your taste buds, too.
TRY MY OTHER FAVORITE OVERNIGHT OATMEAL RECIPES
Did you try this recipe? I love hearing your feedback! Please let me know how it turned out by leaving a comment below or sharing a picture on Instagram with the tag @kimscravings on Instagram and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Almond Joy Protein Overnight Oatmeal
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats,, use gluten-free as needed
- 2 scoops chocolate protein powder*
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, (or nondairy milk of choice)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce**
- 1/2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-2 tablespoon(s) chia seeds (optional)
- Optional toppings/additions: chopped almonds, shredded coconut, chocolate syrup, and/or stevia packets
- In a small bowl, mix all of the ingredients together (except for toppings).
- Divide mixture (1 cup each) between 2 bowls, mugs, or mason jars. Cover and refrigerate overnight (or for at least 2 hours) so the oats soften and absorb the liquid.
- Just before serving, add a splash of milk, toppings and enjoy cold, or microwave for 30-60 seconds to enjoy warm!